Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student_xyz)
    Thanks.
    I emailed the counselling service for a consult at the beginning of term. Hopefully things will look up.
    Well done - I really hope that this is helpful for you. You are definitely not alone, lots of people feel like this at least once during their time at Oxford, they just hide it well.

In the meantime have another :hugs: and pm if you want to

ReputationRep:
    just dropped out of the course, but not the university. Oxford is great uni, im sure you will find the course you like in that University. dont blow all your chances all at once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danhirons)
    Please tell me you don't like Grout!!!!
    I was interviewed by Grout :/

(Original post by 2nd_slip)
      man think he got ill word play! go battle dizaster!
      hahaha, what?

P.S.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
      Should of applied to Cambridge.
      Exactly. Why do people choose to serve time at Oxford..??

ReputationRep:
      I wonder how the "thorough" and "rigorous" admission process let in someone who actually doesn't give a tossing monkey about the subject and applied as a result of being forced by parents.

As for you... It hasn't been that long, at least give it till the end of the first year to make completely sure that dropping out is a serious option for you. You should research the range of options after graduation, and you may end up liking one of them. Chemistry is a very good and versatile degree.

If you indeed decide that dropping out is the only way to go, then you'll still be in a position to apply to a different uni again next year, so there's no rush.

Out of curiosity, did your parents threaten to kick you out if you didn't apply to Oxford, chemistry, or actually get accepted on the course?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Flying Cookie)
      I wonder how the "thorough" and "rigorous" admission process let in someone who actually doesn't give a tossing monkey about the subject and applied as a result of being forced by parents.
      she's smart.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by warfarin)
      she's smart.
      Surely if that was the case to the point of balancing out a lack of interest, she would also be smart enough not to struggle. That's what the admission process if for, according to the university anyway.

ReputationRep:
      Surely if that was the case to the point of balancing out a lack of interest, she would also be smart enough not to struggle. That's what the admission process if for, according to the university anyway.
      I don't see how an interview could assess whether people deal well with prolonged stress, after all they probably haven't been exposed to it before.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
      I don't see how an interview could assess whether people deal well with prolonged stress, after all they probably haven't been exposed to it before.
      I'm sure getting 100% UMS repeatedly involves being under prolonged stress. But you are right, I'm just playing the devil's advocate.

ReputationRep:
      80 hours a week. That is absolutely phenomenal. I've had an incredibly lazy first term, I've barely hit 15-20 hours a week.

ReputationRep:
      I'm sure getting 100% UMS repeatedly involves being under prolonged stress.
      lol You don't know what stress is, until you've been to Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
      I dont think she means struggling as in 'not understanding the concepts', but as in 'lacking the motivation to work long hours every day'. No matter how bright you are, if you lack the motivation to study, you'll fall behind pretty soon (especially if the pace of work is as fast as in Oxford). Also, studying a subject at university is very different to studying it at school, and it's perfectly acceptable for someone to have a change of heart.
      In fact the OP should change the subject if she thinks she'll just end up hating it for the next 3 years (and possibly a lot more). At Cambridge, at least, switching is pretty common. I think you experience resistance from your DoS because you already have finished the first term and you would be quite far behind if you switched (most ppl switch in the first 2 weeks of term here). You could also try speak to the DoS of the other subject directly to see what she thinks.

ReputationRep:
      Just finished my chemistry interview in oxford. Don't feel like going after viewing this.

Id go if I were you. Its a laugh.

P.S. For anyone reading this. I started my course in 2007 (yes im very old) did terribly in my first year pulled in back completely in my 2nd and later years got a good 1st, and am now quite a bit of the way through my PhD and have a paper being published so it isnt so bad

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by xueli)
        Just finished my chemistry interview in oxford. Don't feel like going after viewing this.
        Don't panic, everyone handles stuff differently. I was slightly freaked out by a couple of "dropping out" threads before I came up and as it turned out my first term was a total mess culminating in me having a massive panic attack in the street on my way to a Latin class. However, things got a little better every term. Second term started to feel managable, third term maybe even enjoyable and now I'm in my second year and I really like it. Some people turn up and have the time of their lives immediately, others have to ease in a bit more gradually and a very small number find out it wasn't for them after all. But don't feel put off because of a thread or two about people struggling- the ones who love it don't make threads about it cos they're too busy having fun

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.