Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I buy an iPad? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    But again, that is another joke of a device.

I don't see the point of tablets until their prices come down because they do not offer anything new in terms of technology over a netbook - they offer less against most, if not all.

People are purely paying for the design of a tablet.

game over?

ReputationRep:
    I'm no expert but I got one for christmas and it's a cool gadget I like it but I don't find it all that useful.

It's great when I want to quickly surf the net in bed before going to sleep or something, but I find it annoying having to hold it and type.

ReputationRep:
    HELL NO !

I have one and tried too organize myself with it, I ended up using a paper and a pen !
    and it's so useless !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.C. Chinaski)
    Alas, you seem to have missed the point and then attempted to respond to something that I did not actually say ....
    Yes you did say that.

To simplify, the fact that you find something expensive does not mean that it is expensive.
    If something is expensive there should be a reason why. The company should offer value for money. For the price of an iPad you can buy an Amazon Kindle, a netbook and a professional amplifier kit - all of which independantly will be better than on the iPad.

You really don't need to worry on my behalf, I have plenty of savings.
    Cool story bro.

Clearly a lack of understanding with regards to the concept of pricing.
    2 items should not cost about the same just because you think that they should.
    They should be costed depending on the features they offer and offer value for money. The iPad does not offer value for money as of current. Future models may but we'll have to wait and see.

You really need to stop comparing the 2 items, they are not the same....
    I do not hold this seemingly immature view that you have, i.e. that there is some form of netbook v tablet battle!! I have an M11x too and like that very much as well..
    A netbook is better than the iPad in every way other than watching films or reading e-books. It does far more features wise and is just as portable and also asks you to part with less of your cash.

If you really are not bothered, then perhaps it is time for you to give it a rest.
    Give it a rest? More people agree with me to be fair. That's why the majority of people in the technology industry have not invested in an iPad. Yes Apple have had decent sales upto this point but I'll think you'll find the majority of them are Christmas presents for teens who know nothing about Computing/IT and just think its cool to buy Apple branded gadgets. Also a lot of the purchases are middle aged men thinking they look savvy with such a device. Its funny seeing such people in Starbucks and then I just slam my MBP 8GB Beast on the table.

Eh??>>> Why have we now jumped to macbook pro's??
    Because a MB/MBP is not that much more and gives you a ton more of features and a better system than an iPad does and is just as portable. Both require a carry case. Plus a MB/MBP also gives you the chance for the system to pay for itself as you can use programs to sell things you've done. An iPad doesn't offer that.

Your line of argument is becoming confused/ confusing?
    Whats confusing about it? Its very simple. The iPad is very overpriced for what it is.

(i) why would I want a camera on it? I already have a nice canon..
    To get value for money. The argument your using is the same as mine so you've shot yourself in the foot.

Why would you want an iPad, when you have a laptop, PC or MBP, Mac, Netbook, iPhone etc..?

(ii) Not sure what I would want a USB for either..
    To connect other devices - a USB port would make the iPad massively more connective to other devices.

(iii) It has bluetooth....
    Yes but its 2.1. We are far beyond that in terms of Bluetooth technology. A device that wants me to part with £500+ and claims to be futuristic should cater for future technologies. Its an abysmal fail on Apples behalf.

(iv) I am with you to dome degree with regards to the flash..
    Fair enough. Flash missing is a joke. Apple need to sort their act out.

I can't wait until the future iPads come out that are actually worth the purchase then all those that bought basically a BETA model will be distraught for not having as many features for almost the same price.

Also the fact I can get 3 seperate devices that are better at what they do than the iPad for the same price or less is disgusting.

Kindle > iPad - For reading ebooks as the Kindle has no glare - this has been proven

Netbook > iPad - far better OS with tons more features and a real OS instead of a phone OS

Professional Amp > iPad - made for its purpose and can be used in the music industry - the iPad version looks like something that is at novice level at best. Plus Irig doesnt have the full features a proper amp program would have.

ReputationRep:

game over?
    Not really.

I've used Irig and its no where near as good as a professional system.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you did say that.

If something is expensive there should be a reason why. The company should offer value for money. For the price of an iPad you can buy an Amazon Kindle, a netbook and a professional amplifier kit - all of which independantly will be better than on the iPad.

Cool story bro.

They should be costed depending on the features they offer and offer value for money. The iPad does not offer value for money as of current. Future models may but we'll have to wait and see.

A netbook is better than the iPad in every way other than watching films or reading e-books. It does far more features wise and is just as portable and also asks you to part with less of your cash.

Give it a rest? More people agree with me to be fair. That's why the majority of people in the technology industry have not invested in an iPad. Yes Apple have had decent sales upto this point but I'll think you'll find the majority of them are Christmas presents for teens who know nothing about Computing/IT and just think its cool to buy Apple branded gadgets. Also a lot of the purchases are middle aged men thinking they look savvy with such a device. Its funny seeing such people in Starbucks and then I just slam my MBP 8GB Beast on the table.

Because a MB/MBP is not that much more and gives you a ton more of features and a better system than an iPad does and is just as portable. Both require a carry case. Plus a MB/MBP also gives you the chance for the system to pay for itself as you can use programs to sell things you've done. An iPad doesn't offer that.

Whats confusing about it? Its very simple. The iPad is very overpriced for what it is.

To get value for money. The argument your using is the same as mine so you've shot yourself in the foot.

Why would you want an iPad, when you have a laptop, PC or MBP, Mac, Netbook, iPhone etc..?

To connect other devices - a USB port would make the iPad massively more connective to other devices.

Yes but its 2.1. We are far beyond that in terms of Bluetooth technology. A device that wants me to part with £500+ and claims to be futuristic should cater for future technologies. Its an abysmal fail on Apples behalf.

Fair enough. Flash missing is a joke. Apple need to sort their act out.

I can't wait until the future iPads come out that are actually worth the purchase then all those that bought basically a BETA model will be distraught for not having as many features for almost the same price.

Also the fact I can get 3 seperate devices that are better at what they do than the iPad for the same price or less is disgusting.

Kindle > iPad - For reading ebooks as the Kindle has no glare - this has been proven

Netbook > iPad - far better OS with tons more features and a real OS instead of a phone OS

Professional Amp > iPad - made for its purpose and can be used in the music industry - the iPad version looks like something that is at novice level at best. Plus Irig doesnt have the full features a proper amp program would have.
    I am afraid that I have suffered your irrelevance too much.

p.s. Is there a feature on TSR to block all posts by a user that bores you to tears?

ReputationRep:
    Not really.

I've used Irig and its no where near as good as a professional system.
    (i) you have not used Irig. Fact.
    (ii) What do you mean its not as good as a professional system? Just what type of idiot are you? The iRig is what it is ... nothing more and nothing less??? I also happen to have a vox AC30, and yes, of course it sounds better but what has that got to do with the price of eggs?

ReputationRep:
    ive had an iPad since American launch day, got it bought over. Id say wait till april and get the 1st Gen cheaper off ebay, the new one isnt going to have that much greater stuff and it isnt really worth the £430 it costs unless your a professional business person. Its a very good note taker i used it all first term at uni, good for travel aswell and i use it to DJ small parties.

Its a good device buy you cant really see how good it is without using it/ having one for a while ive found, ill be getting the 2nd gen one for sure its a very useful bit of kit if you have a use for it !

any questions ill help !

ReputationRep:
    isnt the ipad a bigger version of the iphone accept you cant make phone calls?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benammieh)
    isnt the ipad a bigger version of the iphone accept you cant make phone calls?
    essentially yes, but its what a bigger screen lets you do. like why have a 50" tv instead of a 13" etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InfernoUk)
    essentially yes, but its what a bigger screen lets you do. like why have a 50" tv instead of a 13" etc
    Oh I see because I have used both of them I don't find any difference in either of them. I think the laptop is more likely to last longer and it have much more memory!

ReputationRep:
    My Dad won an iPad at work, but his is worth £760!!! You are better off getting a laptop, and to take notes in lectures - use a pen and paper and an academic planner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benammieh)
    Oh I see because I have used both of them I don't find any difference in either of them. I think the laptop is more likely to last longer and it have much more memory!
    its not meant as a laptop its more portable, if it was meant to be a laptop apple wouldnt have made it as it would cannibalise sales of macbooks, hence no usb port

ReputationRep:
    (i) you have not used Irig. Fact.
    I have used Irig on an iPhone. FACT. Its exactly the same.

(ii) What do you mean its not as good as a professional system? Just what type of idiot are you? You are the idiot for wasting money. The iRig is what it is ... nothing more and nothing less??? I also happen to have a vox AC30, and yes, of course it sounds better but what has that got to do with the price of eggs?
    I have a professional sound system - amplifier, turntables etc that I use with soundbooth and so on.

Also, I could buy a netbook, kindle and better amplifier than Irig for less than the iPad. FACT ! All 3 do their jobs better than the iPad could do them as well.

Anyone who thinks Irig is a decent piece of kit really knows nothing about music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coco-Berry Drop)
    I'm no expert but I got one for christmas and it's a cool gadget I like it but I don't find it all that useful.

It's great when I want to quickly surf the net in bed before going to sleep or something, but I find it annoying having to hold it and type.
    I wonder what you search for.

ReputationRep:
    I have used Irig on an iPhone. FACT. Its exactly the same.

I have a professional sound system - amplifier, turntables etc that I use with soundbooth and so on.

Also, I could buy a netbook, kindle and better amplifier than Irig for less than the iPad. FACT ! All 3 do their jobs better than the iPad could do them as well.

Anyone who thinks Irig is a decent piece of kit really knows nothing about music.
    As I said, the rig is what it is, and is fine for it's intended job.....

Just to be clear, you do not have a pro. Sound system, nor an amp , nor a turntable ... You have one of those awful all in one amstrad systems with a cheesy graphics equaliser on the front etc.....

ReputationRep:
    If something is expensive there should be a reason why. The company should offer value for money.
    Tbf(and Im anti-iPad as you can see) a product is only worth what people will pay for it. We do live in a capitalist society, with free markets where retailers and manufacturer's can set the costs. If people think it is worth the money, then people will buy it. To me, it is an overpriced toy but kudos to Apple for having the marketing available to sell this item. ie: take the original iPhone. The only thing different to it, than other phones was that you could load apps on it, but it lacked basic features of modern smartphones such as camera's but it still cost a lot. Apple have a lot of marketing behind them, which sells their products

I cba arguing any more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super-Yeti)
    But think of an iPad like a bicycle. There are times when you want to travel to a place that is too far to walk, but too close to drive. That's when you cycle, right?
    Well said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melancholy)
    I wonder what you search for.
    What are you implying? :p:

FYI it's mainly checking facebook and reading the news every morning

ReputationRep:
    As I said, the rig is what it is, and is fine for it's intended job.....
    Its rubbish at its intended job though compared to competitors.

Just to be clear, you do not have a pro. Sound system, nor an amp , nor a turntable ... You have one of those awful all in one amstrad systems with a cheesy graphics equaliser on the front etc.....
    Lmao.

Yeah course I do. I find it funny how you think you know what system I have.

The system I have cost over £1000 lmao. You really are a funny bloke fair play.

How the hell would you know what system I have? You're a joke.

I find it funny how you claim to know what system I have when you use a gimmicky iPad app.

You're so much of a joke that I can't even be bothered to use the facepalm emotion.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.