Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    She apparently had 10 months of training, and from the interview in the Telegraph a week or two ago I seem to remember that she did the "easy" shots- I'm sure they had a professional to do the full routines because I don't think there's any way you could carry that off unless you had been dancing for a pretty long time! So what you're saying makes sense!
    I really liked the film, except that it was billed as a "psychological thriller". Fell free to disagree because I'm a wuss, but some of the bits in it (Winona Ryder stabbing herself etc) had more of a scary feel that I'd associate with a horror film. But as I said, I'm a massive wuss when it comes to scary films and anything that approaches gore.
    Psychological Thriller and Horror can easily blend together. Black Swan has got a lot of 'body horror' in it, but I'd say it is more of a psychological thriller. I did get more freaked out watching it than I have most horror films though!

ReputationRep:
    Except a few jump scenes I don't see why it should be considered a horror. Thriller it is.

ReputationRep:
    Saw this about a week ago. I personally thought the film is Ah-mazing. Seriously the best film I've seen in a while.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was brilliant, so captivating. I like the surreal psychotic spiral and how fragile obsession made Nina. The finger skin.....uugghhgfjljhgtrlk. I agree that dancers complaining about cliches are being over pedantic - this is an artistic impressionist sort of film, not on pure ballet. I'm not into dancing at all and I loved it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Botticello)
    I thought it was brilliant, so captivating. I like the surreal psychotic spiral and how fragile obsession made Nina. The finger skin.....uugghhgfjljhgtrlk. I agree that dancers complaining about cliches are being over pedantic - this is an artistic impressionist sort of film, not on pure ballet. I'm not into dancing at all and I loved it.
    To those who are saying it should have had professional dancers.... four words Mamma Mia! The Movie (2008)-that was a pheonomenal huge success! Who's to say this movie won't achieve the same level of success..... :rolleyes:

@gingerrama- the comparison is (obviously!) that Mamma Mia was slated because the actors were not professional singers for a musical, so an OBVIOUS AND VERY VAILID comparison!!! No need to neg rep- I was standing up for the fim dumbass.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, it's nothing like Mamma mia. Thankfully...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAZZA007)

@gingerrama- the comparison is (obviously!) that Mamma Mia was slated because the actors were not professional singers for a musical, so an OBVIOUS AND VERY VAILID comparison!!! No need to neg rep- I was standing up for the fim dumbass.
    O wow I love it when people are able to tell who negged them without even needing to sub. That wasn't actually me, because a)I don't neg people just because I disagree with them, I reply (see, er, my reply) b)I'm out of rep anyway. Obviously you take this ****-measuring contest very seriously, so it sucks that your reciprocal one had no power :console:

ReputationRep:
    Mess of a film that made no sense whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato's Trousers)
    Don't forget that this is not meant to be a "serious" film. It's a genre piece - a pure over the top exploitation movie (hence the gratuitous lesbian scene). It's been described by one cinema critic as "Dario Argento on crack!" It's to be enjoyed as a ludicriously OTT roller coaster ride, not an arthouse movie. And as such it suceeds brilliantly! I think it's one of the films of the year, for sure.

To quote Roger Ebert:
    Mulholland Drive?

ReputationRep:
    I thought that the mother look like Micky Rourke with a wig on?

Anyway, I thought it was a good movie. Great acting but a bit too creepy for my liking.

I wouldn't get it on DVD though. It is one of those movies that you can watch once the image is seared onto the brain.

ReputationRep:
    I'm seeing this tomorrow (today!) :woo: Can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue acre)
    Mulholland Drive?
    Sorry, what about it? :confused: (good movie, if that's what you're asking)

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, what about it? :confused: (good movie, if that's what you're asking)
    You said:

this is not meant to be a "serious" film. It's a genre piece - a pure over the top exploitation movie (hence the gratuitous lesbian scene).
    Maybe I didn't understand you correctly but my point was that Mulholland Drive had an equally gratuitous lesbian scene but still managed to maintain it's poignance...

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I have just been to see Black Swan for the third time. It is definitely the best film of the year (and, yes, I do realise it's only January!)

In fact, it's one of the best films ever made (and I have seen everything. Check out my profile

ReputationRep:
    Saw it today - I LOVED IT!
    Natalie Portman was amazing

ReputationRep:
    I think the advertisement promotes the film as a fast paced thrill a minute type. Within the first 5 minutes you can establish that it is not. That said, I thought it was alright (although I expected something more as the trailer portrayed, and not having read the book), but I think Nina's obsession for perfection should have been conveyed stronger in the film.

ReputationRep:
    Literally just got out of the showing and all I feel is numb. It was fantastic though I'm almost in awe at how amazing Natalie was! Mila was also amazing, can't believe she was Jackie from That 70s Show and Meg Griffin. All the way through I felt a huge affinity with Nina, though I've never been psychotic, I'm really controlled and I don't drink because I'm terrified of losing control. The Black Swan reminded me how self destructive aiming for perfection is, but Nina with her fragile beauty seems to be the eptiome of perfection. I honestly can't remember breathing once throughout the film, mainly because my biggest fear is psychosis. But now it's over, I don't see what the point was. Yes, it's beautiful and has some amazing cinematography but it's not surreal enough to be surrealist, not scary enough to be horror and not arty enough to be an art house film. All it did for me was remind me of how unaccomplished I am which really can't have been the aim of the film! The highlight for me was the black swan dance scene and the ending.
    I thought the film was beautiful and unique. Nina's descent into insanity was terrifying and I still don't know what was real and what wasn't. I think I need to see the Red Shoes film people keep mentioning...

On a slightly unrelated note, I find it funny that there were so many gratuitous masturbation scenes or random lesbianism. Trying to attract the male audience? :P

ReputationRep:
    I realise my opinion will probably be ripped to shreds because I disagree with the majority here, but I intensely disliked this film, in fact it's been over a week since I saw it and I still seem to be debating with people about why I didn't like it.

I'm not a movie buff, I haven't seen Requiem for a Dream/The Red Shoes/Redemption/Mullholland Drive/whatever other films have been referenced in reviews and discussions, I know nothing about cinematography, directors, ballet or anything.

My main problem in this was Natalie Portman. Everyone saying she should win the Oscar, I don't get it. For me the story was about her becoming the black swan, becoming sexy and seductive. She was neither, she didn't seduce anyone but herself since all the rest was hallucination, her facial expression remained either bored or peed off and she didn't become lucid and free like I expected her to. She was nuts right from the get go. The role didn't destroy her sanity, in my view it was already broken by an abusive mother. There was no explanation of why she wanted the main role or anything to me that made it obvious why she was given it save for some blatant (and stolen!) whoreish lipstick. She had no friends in the film, no real defining feature, nothing that said 'Prima Ballerina' or even 'remotely interesting main character.'

Plus I realise it's meant to be fantastical and not about ballet dancing, but the ending was utterly ridiculous. Using visual effects to turn her literally into a black swan? Could she/her double not have danced any of the part instead? I didn't see any dancing that indicated she had become this other character, that she was perfection like she wanted to be. And even by the end I had utterly failed to make any connection with her, which is odd since I generally will find one character to sympathise with, even managed it in The Social Network. Obviously I knew she was going to die but I didn't care one bit, the only thing I felt throughout much of the film was disgust during the particularly gruesome bits. I know it's a horror/thriller/whatever but it was gratuitous and in my mind ruined what could have been a subtly chilling presentation of how striving for something can ruin a person.

It was also too obvious in the imagery, the black/white, silly things like Lily having wings on her back, Thomas' Rorschach picture, those creepy ass drawings by her mother. I didn't like the shaky camera use though I did like it when all I could see was the back of Natalie Portman's head.

I have ran out of energy to continue listing my reasons for disliking this, but in short, what I thought was going to be an intelligent, artistic and affecting film was a lazy, CGI-filled gorefest that lacked sympathy or any other emotional component.

On a happier note, I absolutely adored The King's Speech and was in tears by the end. It was a relatively simple story, no gimmicks, just friendship and heartfelt performances. I'm obviously not comparing the two films as they're not in the same genre or league, but I don't like to be too negative!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Symph)
    I realise my opinion will probably be ripped to shreds because I disagree with the majority here, but I intensely disliked this film, in fact it's been over a week since I saw it and I still seem to be debating with people about why I didn't like it.

I'm not a movie buff, I haven't seen Requiem for a Dream/The Red Shoes/Redemption/Mullholland Drive/whatever other films have been referenced in reviews and discussions, I know nothing about cinematography, directors, ballet or anything.

My main problem in this was Natalie Portman. Everyone saying she should win the Oscar, I don't get it. For me the story was about her becoming the black swan, becoming sexy and seductive. She was neither, she didn't seduce anyone but herself since all the rest was hallucination, her facial expression remained either bored or peed off and she didn't become lucid and free like I expected her to. She was nuts right from the get go. The role didn't destroy her sanity, in my view it was already broken by an abusive mother. There was no explanation of why she wanted the main role or anything to me that made it obvious why she was given it save for some blatant (and stolen!) whoreish lipstick. She had no friends in the film, no real defining feature, nothing that said 'Prima Ballerina' or even 'remotely interesting main character.'

Plus I realise it's meant to be fantastical and not about ballet dancing, but the ending was utterly ridiculous. Using visual effects to turn her literally into a black swan? Could she/her double not have danced any of the part instead? I didn't see any dancing that indicated she had become this other character, that she was perfection like she wanted to be. And even by the end I had utterly failed to make any connection with her, which is odd since I generally will find one character to sympathise with, even managed it in The Social Network. Obviously I knew she was going to die but I didn't care one bit, the only thing I felt throughout much of the film was disgust during the particularly gruesome bits. I know it's a horror/thriller/whatever but it was gratuitous and in my mind ruined what could have been a subtly chilling presentation of how striving for something can ruin a person.

It was also too obvious in the imagery, the black/white, silly things like Lily having wings on her back, Thomas' Rorschach picture, those creepy ass drawings by her mother. I didn't like the shaky camera use though I did like it when all I could see was the back of Natalie Portman's head.

I have ran out of energy to continue listing my reasons for disliking this, but in short, what I thought was going to be an intelligent, artistic and affecting film was a lazy, CGI-filled gorefest that lacked sympathy or any other emotional component.

On a happier note, I absolutely adored The King's Speech and was in tears by the end. It was a relatively simple story, no gimmicks, just friendship and heartfelt performances. I'm obviously not comparing the two films as they're not in the same genre or league, but I don't like to be too negative!
    Whilst I don't agree with your opinion, you didn't like the film and that's fair enough, so I'm not having a go here. But....

To me at least, the film wasn't about Nina breaking out of her shell and becoming the Black Swan, but in her struggles in attempting to do so. As you say, she wasn't exactly sane in the beginning, and the added pressure of being given the lead role sent her over the edge. Now I know you obviously don't share this view, but I personally found the character study of her failing attempts to become the 'Black Swan' pretty interesting. I think we're meant to sympathise with her character, even if we can't exactly relate to her.

It does get a bit fantastical and hallucinogenic, but that's part of the fun. As the audience, you can never really tell what's real and what's in her mind. It's not laid out on a plate for you, you need to think a bit. Calling this a 'CGI-filled gorefest' is also a bit harsh - if I remember rightly there's very little gore?

That's how it goes though, everyone has different tastes in films. To me, The Kings Speech looks dull, but I've only heard positive reviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midpikyrozziy)
    Whilst I don't agree with your opinion, you didn't like the film and that's fair enough, so I'm not having a go here. But....

To me at least, the film wasn't about Nina breaking out of her shell and becoming the Black Swan, but in her struggles in attempting to do so. As you say, she wasn't exactly sane in the beginning, and the added pressure of being given the lead role sent her over the edge. Now I know you obviously don't share this view, but I personally found the character study of her failing attempts to become the 'Black Swan' pretty interesting. I think we're meant to sympathise with her character, even if we can't exactly relate to her.

It does get a bit fantastical and hallucinogenic, but that's part of the fun. As the audience, you can never really tell what's real and what's in her mind. It's not laid out on a plate for you, you need to think a bit. Calling this a 'CGI-filled gorefest' is also a bit harsh - if I remember rightly there's very little gore?

That's how it goes though, everyone has different tastes in films. To me, The Kings Speech looks dull, but I've only heard positive reviews.
    She didn't really look like she was struggling that much though, and she wanted the role, she actively begged for it. It was hardly thrust upon her. I think we are meant to sympathise with her, but I didn't, not even a little bit. If anything I felt more sorry for her over-bearing mother! I don't see how someone like that would have even be considered for a demanding role, she was clearly fragile from the beginning. It was not believable.

I also disagree that you can't tell what's real and what's not. I didn't feel confused at any point, I found a lot of the hallucinations obvious and almost unnecessary (like the guy on the train - gross!) What was the point of the lesbian sex scene, really? Except to draw in a male crowd who would normally think ew, ballet, no thanks.

Perhaps gorefest is a bit harsh, but there were a lot of special effects and a lot of moments I found uncomfortable to watch, not entertaining. The skin being ripped off her finger, the stabby stab by Winona Ryder, her battered ballerina feet, when she traps her Mum's hand in the door (ew!).. etcetc. The gore that there is was too disturbing for me and detracted from the story, I just found the whole thing too in-your-face.

Either way, I appreciate that a lot of people enjoyed it, and perhaps I am looking too much into the film simply because I don't share in the hype it's getting! I think it had a lot of potential.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.