Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much do you judge people based on their taste in music? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSilentG)
    Bewbs you say? Samuel L Jackson you say? :sexface: I'm going to have myself a field day :awesome:. I'll watch it ASAP, I'm trying to get through series 1 - 7 of Peep Show, it's so ****ing hilarious you'll enjoy it.
    Aha, yeah I've seen Peep Shows, it's pretty rad. The camera work is pretty interesting as well when combined with the inner thoughts of the characters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jake22)
    I wasn't saying that Dream Theater 'showed off' - I am just saying that playing in odd time doesn't suddenly make a piece of music deep and complicated. Like I said, I think they do some clever and considered stuff sometimes, like in Dance of Eternity when they take that motif and contract it metrically - effects like that are cool and well thought out but I still stand by and say that after having listened to all of their albums (aside from the last couple) I have yet to hear anything that deep or interesting harmonically - yes, they voice progressions fairly nicely and occaisionally have interesting bass movement but even the keyboardist seems to not realise he is playing a polyphonic instrument. I just think something like Mahler's sixth is on a scale uncomparable to anything DT or Opeth do.
    I suggest you give DT's latest album a listen - probably wouldn't change your opinion, but there are some bloody nice harmonies IMO. Admittedly, won't exactly match up to those you find in Mahler's 6th finale, but that's pretty much a given.

You seem like a pretty keen Mahler fan- presumably you know the finale of his 3rd? That's the most harmonically beautiful piece of music I can think of, and my favourite ever piece within the classical genre.

I don't get the big thing about DT fans and ****ing over odd time sigs either - I mean 99% of what meshuggah do is in 4/4 and the scope of the rythmic ideas is way, way beyond anything DT have done.
    Heh, very true.... on 'Bleed', I think Tomas Haake combines the 4-4 time signature with a polyrhythm of 13-4 on the double bass drum. Great drummer. However, the trouble with Meshuggah is that I can't listen to a lot of their stuff. It's ALL heavy, and based solely around rhythmic experimentation. There are no particularly beautiful passages. Opeth and Dream Theater both have plenty of (IMO) beautiful, harmonically-rich passages- which, combined with their heavier stuff, is much more enjoyable to listen to in the long term. For me anyway... and this feature of their music makes them fairly comparable to the music of Mahler. But yes, Mahler's music is a different genre for a reason- i agree.

Also, I think people say all chart music is 4/4 three chord trick etc. but I disagree - listen to some of jamiroqui's early stuff, they had a lot of nice jazz progressions with interesting subs and voicings.
    I said 99% of all chart music, not 100 :P

ReputationRep:
    I do judge people on their music taste, although I try not too, however a persons music taste doesn't mean I can't be friends with them, I have lots of friends with differing taste..

BUT

For example chart music - You have no individuality and go with the masses who listen to computer generated music, you don't really have a favourite band or singer, because each singer goes out of fashion within a year, I can't hold a musical conversation with you because you'll most likely have no idea who Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Pantera, Dream Theater etc are, so inside i'll die slowly as you try and tell me how good tinchy stryder is and how his vocals are second to none, which if course, they're not. You'll probably tell me about how great the X-factor is and how the one who is the best looking is the best singer and i'll want to facepalm you hard.

That's just an example but yeah, I try not to be but that's how I think, I think it just annoys me because i'm in my last year at school and the people who like that kind of music are constantly loud and irritating and there seems to be a correlation with this xD

ReputationRep:
    People usually judge the fact that I love Glee's music, haha. But I don't really care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc1000)
    However, the trouble with Meshuggah is that I can't listen to a lot of their stuff. It's ALL heavy, and based solely around rhythmic experimentation.
    Yeah, I am not a massive fan of Meshuggah but I can appreciate a lot of their stuff - I can't listen to it that much either. I suppose in Occidental music; we are used to enjoying a combination of sonorific, rythymic, harmonic and melodic elements in music so it is more difficult to appreciate music that concentrates too heavily on just one of these features. I find the same thing when I listen to say, Persian traditional music which is predominantly melodic but I like to dip into these things occaisionally.

Opeth and Dream Theater both have plenty of (IMO) beautiful, harmonically-rich passages- which, combined with their heavier stuff, is much more enjoyable to listen to in the long term. For me anyway... and this feature of their music makes them fairly comparable to the music of Mahler. But yes, Mahler's music is a different genre for a reason- i agree.
    I know what you mean but I would still draw a clear distinction between the fineness, the ingenuity, the level of construction and artistry etc. between say, Mahler and Opeth/DT. To me it is like the difference between Paul Potts and Pavarotti singing Nessun Dorma (although I'd say Russell Watson for an example of pop operatic singer is at a fairly decent standard). Or maybe it is like the difference between a twenty quid malbec and a Chateau Lafite.

I said 99% of all chart music, not 100 :P
    Those comments weren't directed at your post; just at the general snobbery of rock (and lets face it, in particular, metal) fans who deride the profundity or complexity of chart music when a lot of it is at my opinion, at a similar level.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.