Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSRBC -- January '11 Watch

• View Poll Results: What book do you want TSR to read?
    24.44%
    The Book Thief
    17.78%
    A Case of Exploding Mangoes
    4.44%
    The Handmaid's Tale
    2.22%
    Heart of Darkness
    33.33%
    To The Lighthouse
    4.44%
    Villette
    2.22%
    A Thousand Splendid Suns
    8.89%
    The Killing Jar
    0%
    The Pillowman
    2.22%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    I dunno. I think I'm, firstly, put off by length and the general setting. Meh. I think the length is the big thing. Though the verbiage and general 'thickness in words' also puts me off.

I'll need to read some more though to be able to fully comment.

It's been a long time since I've read Dickens.
    Presumably not a fan of Anthony Trollope either, then - personally I love his stuff, particularly the Palliser series, but apparently he set himself a particular number of pages as his target to write every day, and therefore if he wasn't feeling especially inspired you just get pages and pages of stuff about hunting ...

I love Pickwick Papers, and I quite enjoyed Great Expectations, but although I have bought a couple more Dickens classics I have to admit that I haven't got into them.

I really like Jane Austen! but can't cope with Emily Bronte, though I like Anne's Tenant of Wildfell Hall and all of Charlotte's books.

Sophie Kinsella is good too when she's on form

Edited to add: have you tried Northanger Abbey? It's basically a take-off of the overblown gothic novels that were around when Austen was writing, and honestly, it's great fun.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    The Shopaholic series. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Masquerador.)
    :rofl:
    I see what you're getting at (although yes, you are generalising massively) but, despite the continuous mentioning of horses and sheep - you must have reread a couple of lines one too many times there btw - I think it deserves to be called a good book, perhaps a slightly overrated one, but a good book nonetheless.

You can't really blame her for going on about the country side either, there wasn't tv programs and cars to discuss back then.

It's probably not all that surprising you havn't heard of Kinsella . chick lit is her forte :cool:

I'm not a great fan of the bronte sisters but I thought The Tenant of Wildfell hall was a great book. I picked it up not really expecting to read it - I do this alot- but I was surprised to find I actually enjoyed it.
    The Shopaholic series? Really? Really

:facepalm2:

:facepalm: get out of my thread

[on another note, anyone here have an interest in creative writing?]

Austen.....gah.......it's all so, "Oh Mr Darcy! Who should I marry today! I have oh so many suitors! And it takes me 500 pages to decide on one! But revel! Revel in the backdrop of English manors and gently frolicking countrysides filled with all of my suitors, and sisters and oh so many horses and sheep! Oh Reader! For the next 100 pages, I'm going to walk alongside a pond with swans and go 'he loves me; he loves me not', for each and every one of my suitors!"

Spoiler:
      Show
      massive generalisation is massive :ninja:

I dunno. I seem to have a massive dislike towards most Victorian stuff. Bronte/Austen/Dickens etc...

Definitely not a massive generalisation - absolutely perfect!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
      • Political Ambassador
      • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

:facepalm:
      You basically copied my post FFS. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:

:facepalm:
      Is it threatening your masculinity that I thought you were a fan?

I read one of them and it was by far the most comical book I have ever read. I think I'm going to order the next one in the series :awesome:

ReputationRep:

I read one of them and it was by far the most comical book I have ever read.
      The Shopaholic Series? :facepalm2:

[help. i'm in a loop]

you're threatening this thread's masculinity. duh. woman are so shellfish sometimes.

ReputationRep:

[help. i'm in a loop]

you're threatening this thread's masculinity. duh. woman are so shellfish sometimes.
      I'm going to wack you with my hardback copy of moby ****. There - is that masculine enough for you?

Do you get banned for violent chat ? :ninja:

ReputationRep:

[help. i'm in a loop]

Hey, why does this thread have to be male? I thought mens names' for inanimate objects were usually female. Gah, men are so confusing/sexist :confused:

ReputationRep:

I read one of them and it was by far the most comical book I have ever read. I think I'm going to order the next one in the series :awesome:
      I agree they are great for a bit of light humour - 1, 2 and 3 are all good but it goes downhill after that I'm afraid.

[help. i'm in a loop]

You think this is bad? How about we start with Catherine Cookson and work from there?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by LovesJellyTots)
      Hey, why does this thread have to be male? I thought mens names' for inanimate objects were usually female. Gah, men are so confusing/sexist :confused:
      :ahee:

I'm going to wack you with my hardback copy of moby ****. There - is that masculine enough for you?

Do you get banned for violent chat ? :ninja:
      that'll do... that'll do

harpoons are pretty manly things :teeth:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Festina lente)
      I agree they are great for a bit of light humour - 1, 2 and 3 are all good but it goes downhill after that I'm afraid.

You think this is bad? How about we start with Catherine Cookson and work from there?
      Ah, my friend lent me that book so it's the only one I have read, this thread just reminded me of that book so i'll probably give two a read

Never heard of catherine cookson though.

ReputationRep:

Very Freudian.

ReputationRep:
      Never heard of catherine cookson though.
      Lucky you - don't bother! I got stuck in a holiday cottage when it rained solidly for a week one August, went through all the books I'd brought and ended up falling back on the stuff other people had left behind, turns out there was a reason for that

ReputationRep:
      Announcement:

Due to the unprecedented love for The Shopaholic Series, I've decided to do away with the poll and to, personally, pick books I think will be more in tune with our thread members. I aim to please.

NEW NOMINATIONS:

1. The Twilight Series

2. Angus, Thongs, and other Teenage Angst

3. LA Candy

4. Desperate Housewives: a 200 page shiny picture book

That will be all :devil3:

EDIT: Our thread will also be named Katie-Rose Ashley Summers

ReputationRep:
      Announcement:

Due to the unprecedented love for The Shopaholic Series, I've decided to do away with the poll and to, personally, pick books I think will be more in tune with our thread members. I aim to please.

NEW NOMINATIONS:

1. The Twilight Series

2. Angus, Thongs, and other Teenage Angst

3. LA Candy

4. Desperate Housewives: a 200 page shiny picture book

That will be all :devil3:
      Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

May I recommend the works of that great novelist Alan Titchmarsh also? I don't know if he's won a Bad Sex award yet, but he definitely deserves one. Hilarious.

ReputationRep:
      :ahee:

that'll do... that'll do

Men are not confusing so don't you start thinking you have an intricate mind :cool:

You are however, absolutely sexist! :stomp::shoot::rant::rant:

ReputationRep:
      on another note, anyone here have an interest in creative writing?
      I do. Haven't written anything substantial in a long while (just random little pieces and poems), but I'm trying to get back into writing again. What about yourself?

Looks like we'll be reading Heart of Darkness this time tomorrow. :woo:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by im so academic)
      Definitely not a massive generalisation - absolutely perfect!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
      I'm sorry, but no Then again, I speak as a girl who grew up dressing in Urgency (*what I used to call Regency*) dresses and pretending to be Mary (they always made me marry while they were Lizzie and Jane) with my older sisters (now 24 & 25), when other kids were watching loony tunes or playing with Barbies. I'll admit they might not be well written but I just adore them. Whenever I am upset, I watch the BBC Pride and Prejudice and immediately feel better I am also a girl currently happily watching Enchanted...

I was beginning to be worried I had found my literary twin as we were agreeing over everything... However, clearly not! Dickens is wonderful! Brilliant, brilliant story teller and amazing characters. I'm reading Great Expectations atm.

Along the creative writing front, kind of. I used to write a lot of HP fanfic (:ninja:) but I've written a couple of short stories recently. Wanted to do nanowrimo but didn't have a good idea!

Also, love the new recommendations! (NOT ahhhh)

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Festina lente)
      Lucky you - don't bother! I got stuck in a holiday cottage when it rained solidly for a week one August, went through all the books I'd brought and ended up falling back on the stuff other people had left behind, turns out there was a reason for that
      aww, you poor thing! :console:

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2011
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.