Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueTypeOfLou)
    I've been looking into getting a Kindle as I won't have any room for all my books in halls of residence but I'm not sure if its worth getting one. I wanted to get some advice from people that already had one.
    Is there a good selection of books available to download and is it easy to do so?
    Do you find it works out cheaper to download books?
    How accurate is the information given on Amazon? Does the battery really last as long as it says? Is the screen good and easy to read?

Ahh lots of questions! Would really like to get some answers as I'm still quite unsure about whether or not to invest in one!
    I find it easier to read than book because I can adjust the font, it has quite a lot of books on it and this number will only grow. It is very easy to get new books, as you can bascially do so wherever you have a connection. I've only charged it 2, maybe 3 times, and have had it for about 3 months and it has not died on me .

Also you save quite a bit of money on some books, like some books are free or very cheap, and so as a long term investment for someone who reads quite a bit it will probably be cheaper for me to have the kindle than to keep on buying old school.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh thanks for your help everyone! I think I'm going to go for it as it will save me a lot of money in the long run, not to mention all the space! I love going into bookshops and picking up all the books but there's nothing to stop me from doing that just because I have a Kindle!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh thanks for your help everyone! I think I'm going to go for it as it will save me a lot of money in the long run, not to mention all the space! I love going into bookshops and picking up all the books but there's nothing to stop me from doing that just because I have a Kindle!
    I'd be wary-it won't work out cheaper (especially since for my English course I take out 80% of the books out from the library) and all the other non-novel books that you need for the course will cost just as much as the physical copy (or be marginally cheaper), the same goes for relatively new novels (though as others say many classics are free).

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking into getting a Kindle as I won't have any room for all my books in halls of residence but I'm not sure if its worth getting one. I wanted to get some advice from people that already had one.
    Is there a good selection of books available to download and is it easy to do so?
    Do you find it works out cheaper to download books?
    How accurate is the information given on Amazon? Does the battery really last as long as it says? Is the screen good and easy to read?

Ahh lots of questions! Would really like to get some answers as I'm still quite unsure about whether or not to invest in one!
    I'm in the same position as you and I think I will buy it.

There are a lot of really classic books that I want to have for myself so I can enjoy the full reading experience but there is no reason you can't have both ? So many mediocre books take up my shelves when I'd prefer them on a kindle.

However when it comes to reading other books I don't care if it doesn't come in a nice book and from what I hear reading on a kindle is extremely easy. Yes the battery life lasts as long as they say it does (been reading lots of reviews and judging by the amazon response it's pretty good.)

For reading anything other than my favourite books it seems like it's a good idea but if you're big into the snuggling up on the sofa with a glass of red wine and a Steinbeck first edition then maybe not for you.

ReputationRep:
    Are kindles better or worse than Sony E-Readers? Bibliophile that I am, I have got far too many books lying around and there's no way I'll be able to fit them all into my room when I move into halls, so I have been contemplating getting an e-reader (despite my previous assertions that I would never purchase one). Kindle seems to be the most popular, but I prefer the feel of the Sony one.

ReputationRep:
    Definately. Can get a ridiculous amount of books for free if you know where to look as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juju)
    Are kindles better or worse than Sony E-Readers? Bibliophile that I am, I have got far too many books lying around and there's no way I'll be able to fit them all into my room when I move into halls, so I have been contemplating getting an e-reader (despite my previous assertions that I would never purchase one). Kindle seems to be the most popular, but I prefer the feel of the Sony one.
    Ahh this is a great question. Whenever I think of e-readers I immediately think of the Kindle. The Sony seems to get overlooked somewhat, I wonder if that's for a reason?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeylfc1989)
    Definately. Can get a ridiculous amount of books for free if you know where to look as well.
    Ahem

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely love it. Older books tend to be cheaper - the oldest of course free, as out of copyright. New books can be cheaper than the physical ones, the same price or sometimes more - depends on the publisher unfortunately.

A really useful feature I use a lot is pdf support - I just email them to the address they assign and when I get home I can read through all my reports at leisure.

Battery life is amazing - just make sure to turn wifi off when you don't need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shmuxel)
    Ahem
    Ha, i'm sure there are torrent sites you can get them off. MOBI format is what you need to look out for. Find out your kindle email address and you attach the files in an email and send them. They automatically load up.

I used newsgroups to get some personally. Downloaded a collection of over 1000, a lot of them recent, popular books too like Harry Potter, Twilight...etc. Not the ones you get for free anyway, I don't think.

I'm not even sure you can get Harry Potter on Kindle either.

ReputationRep:
    I've had one since Christmas, and although I like it, it doesn't necessarily work out cheaper to buy a Kindle. The Kindle itself is a least £100 and I've found that most contemporary novels are either the same price or more expensive to buy for the Kindle. Remember, e-books are subject to VAT whereas printed books are not.

Also, I was a little disappointed that some modern books are not available for the Kindle (the Harry Potter series for example), although in general, most are. However it is true that the majority of classics are free.

It's worth buying in the long run if you read a lot and for convenience purposes, but if you think you'll really miss the 'old school' way of reading a book then a Kindle can never truly replace that, but it does go some way to replicating it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really sure why you would get one just because you can't take all your books to halls. Uni terms are like ten weeks and presumably you'll be quite busy during them so you're hardly going to need your entire collection on hand?

ReputationRep:
    If your willing to use torrents its a great investment.

If not its a bit of a pointless expense but I can understand that it would be good if you haven't the room.

ReputationRep:
    my sister had the iriver ebook originally and it was good, did everything you needed, with music and lots of memory but it broke so she managed to exchange it to a sony one, just at the right time cos it was on sale

and now, she LOVES the sony!! it has a pretty good battery life. She can be on it for several hours a day and not have to charge it all week, thats good enough is it. She really likes how its a touchscreen though and how you can write documents and diagrams with it, she uses that all the time too, saves paper

though im not saying definitely sony, ive heard good things about the kindle, just dont rule out the kindle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riotgrrl)
    I'm not really sure why you would get one just because you can't take all your books to halls. Uni terms are like ten weeks and presumably you'll be quite busy during them so you're hardly going to need your entire collection on hand?
    I'm doing nursing so my course is 45 weeks a year and I'll be doing lots of travelling on buses and trains to my placement. plus I read a lot and I get through books very quickly!

ReputationRep:
    I love my kindle, but just to be aware you do get faulty ones, my one is faulty and I am sending it back for a new one, but when they work they are absolutely amazing, people do say that is it different from having a book in your hand and they don't like that, but with the cover, it feels exactly like you are holding a book in your hand (at least for me). They books you get for the kindle are cheaper than physical copies and books out of copyright are free or can easily be sourced for free.

I would suggest getting one.

ReputationRep:
    I LOVE mine.

There's still times I curl up with a paperback, but other times the Kindle is soooo much better.

Easy to read when travelling. It's so light. SO easy to read. Plus sometimes when you just need a new book, you just press a button and it's there.

Like the other day I finished an awful essay at like 2am. Needed to unwind, had no new paperback. What did I do? Press a button on my Kindle.

Maybe it's because I'm at uni that I'm finding it soooo useful.

Plus it's made me read even more, because so many classics are free. So I'm downloading books I wouldn't go out and buy.

I'm an avid reader, and a speed reader. I wouldn't say it's replaced books for me, but it's an alternative I use.

There's no glare on the screen, doesn't make your eyes hurt, battery lasts for AGES etc

In conclusion: My favourite gadget.

xxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    I think I'd miss holding a book AAHHAHAA

ReputationRep:
    I've told myself that I will never have one. xD
    I think it's very expensive for what is it. I'd really miss reading a good old paperback and I really love going into the £2 book shop and searching for ages for a good book. I don't think Kindle sell books that cheap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louzilla)
    I've told myself that I will never have one. xD
    I think it's very expensive for what is it. I'd really miss reading a good old paperback and I really love going into the £2 book shop and searching for ages for a good book. I don't think Kindle sell books that cheap.
    All My books are free that I have

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.