Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElMoro)
    I got b = 3pi - a
    And I got WTF. Seriously how was that like anything we've ever done?!!?

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhhh why didn't I recognise (ln(x))^2 + 8 as a chain rule question?

Ahhh no facepalm can take away the shame I'm feeling after doing that exam.

ReputationRep:
    Surely for 4 i) A is inverse tan of 7/25, not inverse sine?

(Original post by yourworstnightmare)
    Just saw that the paper was uploaded, so had a crack at the first page. I'm not sure how correct it is since I did it in 5 minutes and have no calculator (being borrowed by current students ) so answers are either done in my head or in exact form:

1) x = 3a, x = a/3

2) sketch; move 3 to left and multiply entire function by -4 (by stretching and reflecting)

3) 14400pi = 45000cm^2 (2 sf)

4i) R = 25, a = sin-1(7/25) (no calc sorry )

ii) theta = sin-1 (12/15) - a (alpha from part i)

5) a = 9

volume = pi x (12ln25) = 12pi ln25

Shall I do the rest of them for you too?

ReputationRep:
    I got b = 3pi - a
    i got sin^-1(sin theta)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a.nk)
    Nope tis sine inverse, where did you get tan from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a.nk)
    Rsina = 7

R = 25 (worked out)

25sina = 7

sina = 7/25

a = sin-1 (7/25)

where a = alpha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikita_atikin)
    Yep :yep:

What did people get for that question that said cosec(a)=cosec(b)?

I said b= 2pi + a

I didn't get what it was going on about.
    I got 3pi - a. Since, if you had a value that was between 0.5pi and pi, then, to get the other angle that gives the same sine (and thus cosec) between zero and pi, you'd do pi- a. Then, that'd give you one between 0 and 0.5pi, and to get the next answer you'd add 2pi, to give an answer in the 2pi to 2.5pi range, and so overall it'd be (pi-a) + 2pi = 3pi-a, which also sorta made sense from looking at the graph and doing some rough measurements.

ReputationRep:
    for question 1 i got x=a/3 and x= -3a. did we have to find out what a was?

ReputationRep:
    How come people only got a/3 for the first question, don't you also get -3a?

ReputationRep:
    I got b = 3pi - a
    Fudge. Yeah, my sister said she got that so she's obv right.

(Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    I got 3pi - a. Since, if you had a value that was between 0.5pi and pi, then, to get the other angle that gives the same sine (and thus cosec) between zero and pi, you'd do pi- a. Then, that'd give you one between 0 and 0.5pi, and to get the next answer you'd add 2pi, to give an answer in the 2pi to 2.5pi range, and so overall it'd be (pi-a) + 2pi = 3pi-a, which also sorta made sense from looking at the graph and doing some rough measurements.
    Aaaaooooohhhhh, I understand. Oh, I didn't know that was the method haha

ReputationRep:
    what did every1 put for 9ii?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gildartz)
    How come people only got a/3 for the first question, don't you also get -3a?
    I'll have another look in a second but i'm pretty sure it said a is a positive integer and the modulus sign sort of gives away the fact that it must be positive anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a.nk)
    There are two potential ways of finding alpha, one involving inverse tan of 7/24 (by dividing the two expressions involving alpha), the other inverse sin of 7/25 (by using the R value found), both of which give the same alpha value

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princess_perfect786)
    for question 1 i got x=a/3 and x= -3a. did we have to find out what a was?
    When there's a modulus sign: |-3a| = +3a

ReputationRep:
    Woah, ok. That exam was tricky, and since it's pretty likely that my uni place will be riding on C3 and C4 it's pretty stressful. BUT, I think I cracked most of the questions (touch wood) and am seeing a lot of answers that I agree with on here. I think my favourite question was sketching cosecX. My graph looked so pretty! The next question was the one that stumped me most I think, but it's not too many marks so it's not that bad. Hopefully.

For the one where you had to find the exact value to TanXCot2XTan4X, I spent agggggeeeeeeeessssssss trying to expand it all and simplify everything, before realising I was doing it a stupid way and it was much much simpler just to work out the individual parts separately with TanX=1/4. I got something that I've seen on here so HOPEFULLY, it's right. Although I hope they can see my answer as I used up like 2 sheets before getting it! Also I found that bloody symbol really annoying to draw!

Other than that, for the translation of the graph one did anyone else notice how they were sneakily trying to make you mark off the x-axis intercept as well as the stationary points?

Just glad it's over now!

ReputationRep:
    I'll have another look in a second but i'm pretty sure it said a is a positive integer and the modulus sign sort of gives away the fact that it must be positive anyway
    but if you sub -3a into x you still end up with 5a I think.

ReputationRep:
    On question 9 how was f(x)greater than 0 for all values???

ReputationRep:
    Rsina = 7

R = 25 (worked out)

25sina = 7

sina = 7/25

a = sin-1 (7/25)

where a = alpha
    Oh ok, I've been taught a different method.... I think it gives the same value of a though.

ReputationRep:
    When there's a modulus sign: |-3a| = +3a
    :cry2: the retake in june is not going to be any easier, is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rokaf0)
    On question 9 how was f(x)greater than 0 for all values???
    f(x) was e^something i think. Well you can't get an answer below 0 for any power to e. I think anyway, sure ill be corrected

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.