Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Confessions of a gamer: Your worst ethically questionable behaviour in computer games Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Probably on Fallout 3, where I'd go around Megaton, steal anything that wasn't nailed down, kill everyone, and then blow it up from Tenpenny Tower for the fun of it, then kill everyone in there too

ReputationRep:
    Winning the League with Spurs on Fifa.

ReputationRep:
    Shadow Stepping the bankers in Stormwind and killing them all without the allies able to kill me. Killing people from the on top of the Duskwood houses.

ReputationRep:
    Kill medics in company of heroes. Theyre a completely non-combat unit that return the wounded to medical centres to produce extra units. And i snipe them every time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Video games provide us with a safe, healthy environment to vent frustration and anger. But have have you ever done something really ethically questionable on a game before? I know that any of you who have played any of the Grand Theft Auto series will obviously have committed mass murder in game (:p:), but I'm looking for examples of ingenious but dastardly uses of games for essentially cheap thrills.

I think most of us are guilty of locking a Sim in a room with no door and letting them burn to death... but fire off some of your worst crimes against digital humanity. Rep for the best examples
    Whenever I play GTA, or The Godfather, or any sandbox game where you can do whatever you want, I do some sadistic things... Driving at the highest speed down a heavily populated sidewalk, not giving a toss at the loss of human life... Lassoing somebody, tying them up, leaving them on a train track... You get the picture

ReputationRep:
    I forced Zaalbaar to kill Mission.

I'm a bad person.

ReputationRep:
    I have dropped people into the water/lake bit in Rollercoaster Tycoon.

Then watched.

ReputationRep:
    Kidnapping a prostitute from the local saloon then hog-tying her up and leaving her on the railway tracks in Red Dead Redemption.

My justification: I got an Achievement.

Oh and deleting all the electric fences in Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis and breeding nothing but Velociraptors and T-Rex.

ReputationRep:
    On one of the first Lara croft games on PS1 I lured the shaking butler into the meat freezer and locked him in while I went to make lunch. The game wouldn't let him die!!!

ReputationRep:
    Rollercoaster Tycoon again, building a massive rollercoaster that doesn't actually finish, so they fly off at 60mph to a fiery inferno. heeheehee

ReputationRep:
    Okay, not me.

But there is this from 4chan a couple of years ago:

ReputationRep:
    Spawned a Tank in GTA Vice city and ran over numerous pedestrians and cars so they'd blow up. I'd also cause havoc by shooting from the tank as well. The cops couldnt do anything about it cause everytime they tried to drive into the tank, their cars would blow up and the big police vans blocking the roads also got annihilated too. Spike traps were useless as well. I was invincible.

ReputationRep:
    Back in the day, first time I ever saw a Playstation. Round my mates house, playing Tomb Raider. First thing he showed me:

Inside the mansion, made Lara run and swan dive off the top floor onto her head.

I lol'd.

ReputationRep:
    Spawn killing

ReputationRep:
    Getting annoyed because you can't kill kids in Fallout New Vegas. I wanted a rampage, damnit.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Camping :ahee:

Also getting a chainsaw on GTAA and attacking people with it. Once they're dead keeping attacking them for about a minute. Rinse and repeat.
    My flatmates were worried about me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impossible!)
    Getting annoyed because you can't kill kids in Fallout New Vegas. I wanted a rampage, damnit.
    Why did they do that? I mean obviously killing kids it wrong (don't know why I actually needed to say that) but what made them arbitrarily think "Oh butchering adults is fine, but KIDS? WHO WOULD DO THAT?". I've always wondered. I'm >guessing< it was to do with EULA ratings or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    You can't do this anymore on the new CODs because there's two exits to every room in maps but... in Call of Duty 4 search and destroy online, I somehow found myself in the midst of a clan, 5 of them and I was on their team. They all had their headsets on and at the start of the round decided it would be funny to camp in one room for the whole round. The room only had one exit so I went and stood in the doorway to block it and started firing my AK47 to alert the other team. They all started panicking on their headsets screaming and trying to run through me but to no avail. One lucky guy on the other team got 6 kills with an LMG. I died with a smile on my face.

ReputationRep:
    Deus ex:

Needed a keycode to get into a secret base, some homeless child said he knew the code but he wanted food in exchange. I gave him a chocolate bar in return for the information; but he was extorting goods from a government agent, and I really like chocolate bars, so as he turned to walk away I stabbed him to death, then ate my chocolate bar.

ReputationRep:
    I played wow and ninjad the majormodo chest from my guild. That chest dropped loots which some members of my guild had been waiting months to get.

I didn't even need the stuff I stole. I took this one Bow even though I couldnt use it. The hunter I stole it from sent me hate-mail in game, telling me how he had been waiting for months to get the bow, and how his life was over.

Then guild members kept spamming me and some challenged me to duels. Some even spat on me (in game). The hunter i stole a bow from challenged me to a duel but i declined. Instead I challenged some1 weak from the guild who i Knew I could beat.

Doing something wrong like that felt very close to committing a crime in life, and being subsequently held in the stocks. But then again, the game has become the life of many wow players.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 9, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.