Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Would love to do it, didn't for a while because I'm prone to fainting and several of my friends had bad experiences so was paranoid about that, but eventually thought that's just silly and went anyway, but they told me I couldn't because of a trivial heart problem I have. I understand why, but it's still annoying.

And yes I'd be happy to take it if I needed it.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whatsinthefox?)
    Gave blood, now switched to donating platelets as I have a high platelet count and can donate more often.
    Giving blood is absolutely essential, when you do it, you save lives. If it comes to a point where I need a transfusion, I'm going to accept one.

how do you do this? i know its got info on the net but i'm not sure where to go to donate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ollie82)
    how do you do this? i know its got info on the net but i'm not sure where to go to donate

Have a look at this.....theres also a phone number for information:

http://www.blood.co.uk/platelets/

and this:

http://www.blood.co.uk/platelets/donationcentres/

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cybele)
    How can anyone justify not giving blood if they're healthy enough to do so? :dontknow:
    Petrified of needles? I know one guy who faints when people just talk about them. He fainted in our school hall when we had people to talk to us about drugs(mentioned the injecting of drugs).

ReputationRep:
    i gave blood for the first time earlier this month, as i've just put on enough weight to donate!
    i really liked it, it didn't hurt at all. i followed their advice to drink lots of water and i was fine.

the worst bit was nearly killing myself getting there with the road covered in ice!! i'll definitely do it again. but why can you only donate every few months, and how do you donate platelets?

i'm on the organ donation list too but my dad doesn't agree with it. i signed up to both the day i turned 17. My mum would have died if she wasn't given blood when me and my brother were born (we're twins) so i feel like i should give back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Have a look at this.....theres also a phone number for information:

http://www.blood.co.uk/platelets/

and this:

http://www.blood.co.uk/platelets/donationcentres/

Hope this helps
    thank you!

ReputationRep:
    If i go to my GP now, how long from this date will i get my appointment done to donate the blood?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    Petrified of needles? I know one guy who faints when people just talk about them. He fainted in our school hall when we had people to talk to us about drugs(mentioned the injecting of drugs).
    Well I have little sympathy for people with irrational phobias, especially when this phobia could get in the way of saving someone's life. I have a tendency to faint after something as meagre as a blood test because I hate needles too, but I still intend to give blood because I'm fortunate enough to be healthy, and people who aren't as lucky are more important than my silly phobia.

ReputationRep:
    Well I have little sympathy for people with irrational phobias, especially when this phobia could get in the way of saving someone's life. I have a tendency to faint after something as meagre as a blood test because I hate needles too, but I still intend to give blood because I'm fortunate enough to be healthy, and people who aren't as lucky are more important than my silly phobia.
    To be so scared of needles though that he, even though is 20 now, still faints at the very mention of needles.

It may be a silly phobia to you, but his is an extreme that a very small amount of people can relate too. I definitely cant imagine feeling that scared i'd faint...and i've been life threatened a few times.

I'm not really sure it's worth putting himself through that amount of distress for a few pints of blood...Unless he had a rare blood type maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swimmer)
    If i go to my GP now, how long from this date will i get my appointment done to donate the blood?
    you don't need to go to your gp.
    either:

fill this out: https://secure.blood.co.uk/enrol.asp

or just go to your nearest centre, and tell them you've never donated before. they're really happy to help and they'll just sign you up and you can give blood the same day.

here are the centres:

http://www.blood.co.uk/SessionSearcher/Search.aspx

just put in your postcode and it comes up with the nearest few centres.
    alternatively, you could use the site to sign up and book an appointment. you don't have to book, you can just turn up but if you want to wait less, you can book. just search for a centre and it tells you how to book a time.

ReputationRep:
    I was brought up a jevhovahs witness. Got older realised religon is a bunch of ****. Gave blood before will do again and would recieve

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    In actual fact the likelyhood of getting a blood borne infection from a donation is zero!. Blood is tested before it is given to someone else, if it has infection or anything else then it is not given to anyone and discarded.....and the donor is informed of this too.
    Tests aren't 100% accurate, but the chance is very small.

ReputationRep:
    its a good thing; saving lives

ReputationRep:
    Personally i think anyone that can give blood and doesn't shouldn't be receiving it. I try and give blood every time, though it is hard work getting it out of me hence the try I would also receive it as i have "paid in" to the system.

ReputationRep:
    To be so scared of needles though that he, even though is 20 now, still faints at the very mention of needles.

It may be a silly phobia to you, but his is an extreme that a very small amount of people can relate too. I definitely cant imagine feeling that scared i'd faint...and i've been life threatened a few times.

I'm not really sure it's worth putting himself through that amount of distress for a few pints of blood...Unless he had a rare blood type maybe.
    Anyone who allows themselves to get that worked up about needles needs a short sharp shock. What an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    I just went to give blood...all going well and then suddenly they couldn't get any more blood out and couldn't find another vein so they sent me off...I tried!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachlala14)
    Well sorry I've touched your humanist nerve, but without sounding imprudent, I am far from selfish or irrational. You don't know me or my circumstances well enough to make such a sweeping observation.

Its at the doctors discretion as to how much pain medication they get and their illness may determine how effective opioids are, but patients are often given less medication than they need as doctors have failed to carry out appropriate diagnostic testing or they withhold stronger medication from the patient as they feel to administer this would be "giving up".
    Maybe you'd like to read this article - http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000201/755.html - very informative. It states "The World Health Organization has developed guidelines for the relief of chronic pain. Studies have shown that by following these guidelines, physicians can achieve adequate pain control in nearly 90 percent of patients. So, while I feel sympathy for those people that you've witnessed in extreme pain, they are very much in the minority.
    As for the lucidity, some people favour that and in my opinion, it's a much nicer way to pass on.
    I would hardly say people who are in pain in their last days are in the minority. They can only give so much morphine that their body can handle, and if they give too much they'll OD. Achieving 'adequate pain control' 90% of the time doesn't necessarily mean that the person is completely pain free does it?

ReputationRep:

I'm assuming he'd take blood if he needed it - he'd get over his needle phobia pretty damn quick if it was him who was ill and in need of someone else's blood. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Agree. Everyone should be donating if they can. You never know they mite even find something inside your blood and would safe your life in the process too.

As soon as my cold goes away im going for my first donation!

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming he'd take blood if he needed it - he'd get over his needle phobia pretty damn quick if it was him who was ill and in need of someone else's blood. :rolleyes:
    Nah, he'd pass out and then they could pump him with the blood whether he liked it or not lol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.