Whitney Houston

ReputationRep:
    Amber Riley

ReputationRep:
    Seal has a deliciously warm voice.

ReputationRep:
    Idina Menzel or Lea Michele

ReputationRep:
    Maynard James Keenan, Michael Jackson, Corey Taylor, Freddie Mercury, Andrea Bocelli and Josh Groban.
    Natalie Merchant, Christina Aguilera(she does not do her voice justice in most of her music), and probably more I can't think of.

ReputationRep:
    Disclaimer: I don't think anyone can answer this question fully unless they've heard music from a plethora of genres, from different periods and even other mediums like musical theatre etc. That being said, this is my opinion, having listened to most of the artists posted on this thread.

-Freddie Mercury, DEFINITELY. What a brilliant vocalist, what an astounding range and what prodigious talent! Combined with a flair for performance, I really can't find any fault with him!
    -On that note, I'm surprised no one's mentioned Adam Lambert so far. Yes, his debut album isn't the most vocally astounding one ever, but he is a fabulous singer and one of the few people who can tackle really difficult songs and 'make it their own'. His rendition of 'Change Is Gonna Come' from American Idol is a vocal masterpiece.
    -Christina Aguilera is the best contemporary singer in the pop/RnB genre in my opinion. Mariah Carey and Beyonce are great too, but in terms of actual voice quality as well as ability, Christina is flawless. I do feel that she doesn't utilise her full vocal potential in most of her songs, probably because she wants to do more pop stuff that appeals to a mass audience.
    -Which brings me to the female who I think is just the best singer I've heard in a really long time- Lea Michele. Her voice is so pure and simple and it sounds like everything she sings is really easy, but try singing even one of the songs she does on Glee or something and trust me, its' really not that easy. She masters a variety of songs with ease and her voice is SO magical.
    Umm, I'm drawing a blank right now, but I would definitely give an honorary mention to Steven Tyler of Aerosmith. He may not be the conventional smooth crooner who does a million vocal runs, but there's no doubt about it: the man can sing his face off.

Either way, if anyone has similar tastes/choices to mine, I'd love to hear some other artists who you like, who I maybe haven't listened to yet
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Pavarotti springs to mind, as does michael buble. I wasn't sure about the latter until I watched this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYe6tmrFxbw&feature=fvst (his vocal tone is brilliant. the guitar solo at the start sucks though...I used to play it much better even if I do say so myself. We were sort of basing our performance on that version but the instrumentation and therefore style was different, so I suppose a different soling style was called for. It's just mine sounded more impressive imo.)

Michael Akerfeldt is worth noting on the basis that he's an excellent growler AND a really rather decent singer too, which is exceptionally rare. People like george "corpse grinder" fisher can growl well, but can't sing/talk for toffee.

I've been told the singer from Mostly Autumn is exceptional , but I've not really heard her first hand so I can't confirm that.

Peter Gabrielle has an extremely unique style like no other. In terms of hitting a wide range of notes perfectly he's not world class, but the delivery and the lyrics themself are what make him one of the finest musicians I've come across.

That's enough for now, there's quite a few excellent singers I've not mentioned though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc1000)
    of Kamelot?

Good singer, but do you know Symphony X? Listen to them if not... their vocalist Russell Allen is leagues ahead of pretty much all other vocalists within the prog/power metal genre, IMO.
    Yeah of Kamelot.

And yep I do listen to Symphony X, great vocalist, but Roy Khan just does it for me. :P

ReputationRep:
    VERY hard to say, however.

Leona Lewis- Very large (4 octaves i think) range. Flawless control in all registers she sings in. Vocalises perfectly with backing singers in any performances. Total control over her vibrato, when she seems to be able to produce at any speed she wishes. Great tone and huge power!

Nicole Scherzinger- She is unbelievably underrated. Shes probably even better than Leona, she sings in all genres, has a huge range and a very distinct vocal sound. Look her up, i was so shocked when i heard her voice.

heres one example of nicole, but look up more, shes truly amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RgsM...x=7&playnext=2

ReputationRep:
    I love Robert Plant, Michael Jackson, Lara Fabian....there's far too many to choose from!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtemisRose)
    Maynard James Keenan, Michael Jackson, Corey Taylor, Freddie Mercury, Andrea Bocelli and Josh Groban.
    Natalie Merchant, Christina Aguilera(she does not do her voice justice in most of her music), and probably more I can't think of.
    This is 100% bang on accurate, but I'd include:

Robert Plant
    Ian Kenny
    Also how did you forget Chris Cornell? :P

ReputationRep:
    Also, the three guys with the most amazing falsettos ever heard.

Jeff Buckley

Michael Jackson

Brian Wilson (of the Beach Boys)

ReputationRep:
    Nina Simone, Stevie Wonder, Leona Lewis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeographyEllie)
    Lady Gaga <3 x

EDIT: Why the neg rep?? It's my opinion!!!
    I'm embarrassed about the amount of neg reps I'm getting :/

ReputationRep:
    Johnny Craig.

ReputationRep:
    If we are including dead people I would have to say Freddie Mercury, he is amazing! I also think James Brown and Michael Jackson had amazing voices.
    From those who are alive Idina Menzel, Bryan Adams, David Bowie and Lea Salonga
    There are so many talented singers, I think it also helps if they have an amazing stage presence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boney King of Nowhere)
    Disappointed in you as a fellow Radiohead fan.
    I hate to admit it but Thom's voice isn't as great as it used to be but because of the way Radiohead create sound Thom's voice becomes much more of an instrument than a vocal... Besides... We all know that MUSE are just Diet Radiohead anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Most of my favourites have already been named but I'd like to add

Smokey Robinson
    David Ruffin
    The Righteous Brothers
    Al Green
    Billie Holiday
    Bruce Springsteen - my friend is a huge fan and i have to admit, his voice is nice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markberry91)
    Akon
    Please tell me this was a joke...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saks10111)
    Disclaimer: I don't think anyone can answer this question fully unless they've heard music from a plethora of genres, from different periods and even other mediums like musical theatre etc. That being said, this is my opinion, having listened to most of the artists posted on this thread.

Either way, if anyone has similar tastes/choices to mine, I'd love to hear some other artists who you like, who I maybe haven't listened to yet
    I fully agree with the disclaimer - I don't ever think I've even heard a Freddy Mercury song or one by Lea Michele lol - I don't watch Glee (I've heard of him, just never heard his songs).

Mariah Carey's whistle register is crazy! I wish I could sing like her.

Anyway, I wish I could +1 you.. I'll be back tomorrow . This thread has made me want to you tube quite a few musicians that I've never even heard of.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.