Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidders)
    Write as much as you can. Submit short stories to magazines as often as possible. Enter writing competitions. Get an agent - You will NEED an agent as publishers tend not to accept manuscripts without one. Also get used to being criticised, this happens a lot!!

My friend has his first novel published and has two short stories published now also
    You say get an agent, but how? I don't have loads of money to be spending on an massively expensive agent, but there'd be no point paying what little I have for someone who is going to be making practically no difference to my situation. Also, how do I convince an agent that they want me as my client? Is there anything I need other than what I have written? And how do I know if they're a legitimate agent and not someone who's just trying to screw me for some money and is saying that they're "looking" for something for me? I want one, but I don't have connections, which I know I desperately need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big-boss-91)
    find a brilliant agent!
    write a story with great plot and a shocking ending
    create a new genre?
    originality always wins
    catchy title
    create characters that have 3d personalities
    have deep moral understanding
    and make sure it keeps the reader reading until they finished the book or killed
    Tumblr is actually the best blog for writers such as yourself my tumblr account is in my sig
    I'm trying, dude, I swear I'm trying!! I don't have a brilliant agent, but I'm trying my best to do the rest of those things, I can sometimes be a bit of a perfectionist in ... well, most of your suggestions. I will check out Tumblr, although I've had mixed responses about the pros and cons of blogging, but it can't hurt to have a poke around.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doke)
    I'm trying, dude, I swear I'm trying!! I don't have a brilliant agent, but I'm trying my best to do the rest of those things, I can sometimes be a bit of a perfectionist in ... well, most of your suggestions. I will check out Tumblr, although I've had mixed responses about the pros and cons of blogging, but it can't hurt to have a poke around.

Cheers
    thats the beauty of blogging! everyone is a honest critic! if you start up a blog, let me know as i would like to read your stories and give some feedback

ReputationRep:
    thats the beauty of blogging! everyone is a honest critic! if you start up a blog, let me know as i would like to read your stories and give some feedback
    Cheers. Feedback is always good, provided it's honest. I'll let you know and look forward to your responses.
    Maybe I can do the same for you? Up to you, of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doke)
    My main aspiration in life is to be a professional writer, hopefully at a good enough level that I might earn a decent income from my efforts. As far as education and personal involvement goes, I believe that I am heading in the right direction and, hopefully, am not doing anything to detract from my goals. I am taking subjects that I have been informed are relevant (aside from the obvious English Language and Literature, I am also studying Media Studies and Philosophy and Ethics) and I am applying in 2011 to study Creative Writing at a number of universities that, after much research, I have determined to have courses suited to my tastes in the area. I write a lot in my free time to hone my skills so that if the time comes that I might offer my work professionally, I will have developed my talent to an appropriate level. I mostly write fiction and have made considerable advances over the past decade in my abilities in terms of style and detail. I hope that I will be able to one day earn a living from this as it is something that I love and do so very much.

However, I am aware to the point of crippling fear that the entertainment industry is very competitive and, if anyone can help me, I would like to have some idea of more ways in which I can be noticed as a writer. I know fully that writing alone when all of my work stays on my memory stick where no one will see it will never be particularly fruitful, no matter how much I practice or how good (or otherwise ) my work might be.

I have been advised that I should write a blog, and I am in the process of looking into this option, but the vast number of blogging sites available make it hugely confusing. I want to stand out and not just be another random blogger with no readers.

Realistically, what can I do to make me stand out more? Is there anything I can do to catch the attention of people who can really make a difference for me in this regard?

Thank you in advance for any help you have to offer, as well as apologies for my long-winded request. I just like to make sure I've covered everything that I do not cause confusion.

Doke x

P.S., I am aware that this thread is also in another part of the website, but I accidentally posted it in the wrong area and will not try to make any excuses for my mistake.
    Stand out? How about sending your work to magazines and competitions? Thats where, for the most part, everyone else starts out. And being prepared to get around 8 things accepted for every 50 or so you submit (simultaneous submissions are frowned upon and also the norm, if your lucky enough to have two things contradict then the embarrassment of having to let one party down will be bearable). And if you dont know/aren't reading the sort of magazines or journals that publish the sort of short stories (which is undoubtably what your are going to be submitting) that you are interested in writing then you might want to rectify that situation fairly quickly.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doke)
    You say get an agent, but how? I don't have loads of money to be spending on an massively expensive agent, but there'd be no point paying what little I have for someone who is going to be making practically no difference to my situation. Also, how do I convince an agent that they want me as my client? Is there anything I need other than what I have written? And how do I know if they're a legitimate agent and not someone who's just trying to screw me for some money and is saying that they're "looking" for something for me? I want one, but I don't have connections, which I know I desperately need.
    If an agent wants you to pay them before they've got your book published, run quickly. As far as I know, all legitimate literary agents only get paid afterwards, and earn commission from your royalties. etc.

(Original post by Writer's and Artist's Yearbook FAQ 7. )
    Literary agents make their income entirely as a result of commission on sales of their clients’ work. Generally, they charge around 15% commission on sales in the UK and around 20% on sales to the USA and in translation, and the latter percentage is often shared with a sub-agent in the relevant country. See the listings of literary agents in the Writers’ & Artists’ Yearbook for the commission charged by each agency.
    Also, that book (web: http://www.writersandartists.co.uk) is brilliant. One is released every year and it contains every legitimate agent and publisher in the country (and some outside, I think, not sure though?) with their contact details. So if they're not in that book, they are not legitimate.

It's also got magazine and journal submission stuff and tons and tons of other very very helpful info from both publishers, editors, etc, agents and published authors. It's a good place to start for publishing info, and the website's even got video interviews with different people from the publishing industry.

(Original post by Doke)
    Also, how do I convince an agent that they want me as my client? Is there anything I need other than what I have written?
    You convince them with your query letter, which you'd send with your selected pieces of work and any references you have. I don't know much about that area though, so it'd be best to buy that book (even one of the older ones would be fine for the info on stuff like that - just don't rely on it for anyone's contact details - get a new one for those) or ask around TW/Critique[.]org if you join those, as there are people there who know a fair amount about the publishing process to be able to head you in the right direction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doke)
    Cheers. Feedback is always good, provided it's honest. I'll let you know and look forward to your responses.
    Maybe I can do the same for you? Up to you, of course.
    haha i don't really need feedback, i just mainly write articles on upcoming films news. but you can follow me i'll follow back

ReputationRep:
    Wear a colourful hat :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doke)
    My main aspiration in life is to be a professional writer, hopefully at a good enough level that I might earn a decent income from my efforts. As far as education and personal involvement goes, I believe that I am heading in the right direction and, hopefully, am not doing anything to detract from my goals. I am taking subjects that I have been informed are relevant (aside from the obvious English Language and Literature, I am also studying Media Studies and Philosophy and Ethics) and I am applying in 2011 to study Creative Writing at a number of universities that, after much research, I have determined to have courses suited to my tastes in the area. I write a lot in my free time to hone my skills so that if the time comes that I might offer my work professionally, I will have developed my talent to an appropriate level. I mostly write fiction and have made considerable advances over the past decade in my abilities in terms of style and detail. I hope that I will be able to one day earn a living from this as it is something that I love and do so very much.

However, I am aware to the point of crippling fear that the entertainment industry is very competitive and, if anyone can help me, I would like to have some idea of more ways in which I can be noticed as a writer. I know fully that writing alone when all of my work stays on my memory stick where no one will see it will never be particularly fruitful, no matter how much I practice or how good (or otherwise ) my work might be.

I have been advised that I should write a blog, and I am in the process of looking into this option, but the vast number of blogging sites available make it hugely confusing. I want to stand out and not just be another random blogger with no readers.

Realistically, what can I do to make me stand out more? Is there anything I can do to catch the attention of people who can really make a difference for me in this regard?

Thank you in advance for any help you have to offer, as well as apologies for my long-winded request. I just like to make sure I've covered everything that I do not cause confusion.

Doke x

P.S., I am aware that this thread is also in another part of the website, but I accidentally posted it in the wrong area and will not try to make any excuses for my mistake.
    I just wanted to say I blog. A fair bit nowadays, mainly because I really enjoy writing but also to hopefully get me noticed, I'd love to be a rather opinionated columnist.

If you put a fair bit of effort in then you will get people reading it, put it on social networking sights, blog catalogues and read and comment on other peoples.

The other day I got contacted by the PR team at Next asking if I would blog for them, which I was pretty chuffed about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bambipoppins)
    I just wanted to say I blog. A fair bit nowadays, mainly because I really enjoy writing but also to hopefully get me noticed, I'd love to be a rather opinionated columnist.

If you put a fair bit of effort in then you will get people reading it, put it on social networking sights, blog catalogues and read and comment on other peoples.

The other day I got contacted by the PR team at Next asking if I would blog for them, which I was pretty chuffed about
    Can I ask why you're not dying from all those A2s? :eek3:

And yeah, blogging's great! I keep starting blogs and then cancelling them but when I blogged for a couple of weeks, I got emails from people asking me to do things for them. Didn't get anything as awesome as Next though, I didn't trust the companies who contacted me so I didn't reply but I did get a really nice message from some sort of fashion website telling me they loved my blog which was quite cool, even though I don't think I ever once mentioned fashion...

ReputationRep:
    Well you, you English native! And I want my bio Fiction will have to send these critics after the Google-translation ... http://spacenoology.agro.name/?page_id=4919 Okay, I'll try when Finish and translate all the way everything else.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, yes! which only they write! Look at me in the comments - you kept sending this? http://spacenoology.agro.name/?page_id=3334 (Google-translated from Russian)
    But it is usually spam, though often beautiful looks. CEOs are now cunning, write very plausibly, making small changes in the cliche, to fool anti-spam system. I struggled with this CEO-spam for nearly a year, and now tired - and closed the discussion on the topic for articles older than 60 days. A week later reveal, perhaps, forgotten?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lykaios~)
    If an agent wants you to pay them before they've got your book published, run quickly. As far as I know, all legitimate literary agents only get paid afterwards, and earn commission from your royalties. etc.

Also, that book (web: http://www.writersandartists.co.uk) is brilliant. One is released every year and it contains every legitimate agent and publisher in the country (and some outside, I think, not sure though?) with their contact details. So if they're not in that book, they are not legitimate.

It's also got magazine and journal submission stuff and tons and tons of other very very helpful info from both publishers, editors, etc, agents and published authors. It's a good place to start for publishing info, and the website's even got video interviews with different people from the publishing industry.

You convince them with your query letter, which you'd send with your selected pieces of work and any references you have. I don't know much about that area though, so it'd be best to buy that book (even one of the older ones would be fine for the info on stuff like that - just don't rely on it for anyone's contact details - get a new one for those) or ask around TW/Critique[.]org if you join those, as there are people there who know a fair amount about the publishing process to be able to head you in the right direction.
    This is awesome! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    haha i don't really need feedback, i just mainly write articles on upcoming films news. but you can follow me i'll follow back
    Te he he, cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reviresco)
    Stand out? How about sending your work to magazines and competitions? Thats where, for the most part, everyone else starts out. And being prepared to get around 8 things accepted for every 50 or so you submit (simultaneous submissions are frowned upon and also the norm, if your lucky enough to have two things contradict then the embarrassment of having to let one party down will be bearable). And if you dont know/aren't reading the sort of magazines or journals that publish the sort of short stories (which is undoubtably what your are going to be submitting) that you are interested in writing then you might want to rectify that situation fairly quickly.

Best of luck
    Cheers. I will keep in this mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    Can I ask why you're not dying from all those A2s? :eek3:

And yeah, blogging's great! I keep starting blogs and then cancelling them but when I blogged for a couple of weeks, I got emails from people asking me to do things for them. Didn't get anything as awesome as Next though, I didn't trust the companies who contacted me so I didn't reply but I did get a really nice message from some sort of fashion website telling me they loved my blog which was quite cool, even though I don't think I ever once mentioned fashion...
    Not dying? Trust me I am

I love it, when I have time! Just get one and stick with it!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely subscribing to this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontWantYourBloodMoney)
    Definitely subscribing to this thread.
    I'm so sorry, you subscribed and then all posts immediately stopped xD
    Maybe this will bump it up for both of us te he he x

ReputationRep:
    You want to write. Go out and get experience, and experience a story that people will want to hear. You're not gna pull a blockbuster out your ass. William Burroughs said (or wrote) something along the lines of, you need experience with people if you want to write well, so you can plagiarize from real life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingofSpades)
    You want to write. Go out and get experience, and experience a story that people will want to hear. You're not gna pull a blockbuster out your ass. William Burroughs said (or wrote) something along the lines of, you need experience with people if you want to write well, so you can plagiarize from real life.
    Thanks. A lot of people have given similar advice: i.e., how to write well. This helpful to the extent that I think more about what it is that I am writing. However, it doesn't make a huge difference if no one's reading it. How do I get the right people to be reading my work? Where do I find the people who can help me further a career? I understand that right now I won't have as much luck as, say, when I'm at University when I'm meeting more influential, professional people, but I want to start doing everything I can as soon as possible.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.