Higher English Exam 2011 Coming Up!! Watch

failingexams
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by beth..)
Ahhh i am so nervous. I know my play really well and am confident on it, im doing A Doll's House. I know Gatsby but there are just so many themes and i end up getting confused and the structure of the essay goes to pot. I hope the pass mark is low this year and hopefully my folio will pull my grade up.

i really can't do Gatsby either,there's so much
failingexams
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
anyone got any predictions on what poem & prose qs will be??
Jar of Hearts
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Argh. Starting to panic. Couldn't even remember how to write an essay last night.
Added up my marks from past papers last night, and I got a low C.
Things are looking good...
x-Ashleigh-x
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm doing Lord of the Flies and Glasgow Sonnets. I've looked at past papers from the last 6 years and there's a question that suits them every year so i'm feeling pretty confident.

I think as long as you know your texts well you'll be fine. Good luck to everyone doing English on Friday!
failingexams
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by laridum)
Is The Almond Tree a play or a poem? Gatsby is a fairly safe text and that CR mark will help you. The problem with having just a novel and one poem is that the poem questions can be quite precise. I have five poems and I'm still very worried! But I don't know much about The Almond Tree.

it's a poem , themes of literal/metaphorical journey , loss & growing up. also a questionon setting and mood/atmosphere would fit nicely. there's been a question each year for it and my class have only studied that and The Horses :/ and i really hate that poem , i'm just crossin my fingers
laridum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by failingexams)
it's a poem , themes of literal/metaphorical journey , loss & growing up. also a questionon setting and mood/atmosphere would fit nicely. there's been a question each year for it and my class have only studied that and The Horses :/ and i really hate that poem , i'm just crossin my fingers
I guess it depends on the poem and how well you can spin it. I have five poems and still feel pretty worried. I'm sure you'll be fine!
AminahEmm
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi guys! yeah I am quite nervous..as it is in 2 days!!! :-/
I need to get a B, anyone got any last minute tips? it would be greatly appreciated
Poetry : Iolaire/Glasgow 5 Marh,1971/Hotel Room 12th floor/three flights up (really hoping I get a good question for Iolaire though!!)
Prose Non Fiction : A Hanging

thats all I have, not sure if its enough though my english tutor told me that noone hardly does non fiction texts so the SQA make the questions easy to encourage students to do that section, so yeah but Im still nervous, cause i failed last year so I need to get a B this year. any tipss?!x:confused:

*oh and for Novel i am doing Of mice and men.. yeah dont ask my teacher is retiring this year he really doesnt give a sh*t about if we fail or pass so basically have really rubbish texts :/
HighInTheHills
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How's everybody feeling about the exam which is now in...hm...a day and a half?
What essay questions is everybody hoping for and how many texts are you confident with?
Chris
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by HighInTheHills)
How's everybody feeling about the exam which is now in...hm...a day and a half?
What essay questions is everybody hoping for and how many texts are you confident with?
Im not actually sure how to feel I think i should be ok for close reading, hoping for around 36/36 out of the 50. As for essays its just my luck on the questions as im only really confident on one drama and one poem. For the last 4 years there has been good questions for both so hopefully it stays the same
Albertine
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If there is one about revenge in drama, dramatic monologues in poetry, and love/humanity in prose i will be in HEAVEN.

As for how I am feeling. It is best not to ask.....

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHH
INeedToLoseWeight
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have two texts I feel really confident with another two I feel reasonably confident with. I'm so nervous because I want an A for higher English!
littleliongirl<3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
im dreadingggggg it D:

it'll probably go fine but im worryin cos its my first exam this year and with me its a hit or a miss depending what questions come up

ive got 2 poems and a play im confident with and then brighton rock in prose as backup

my heads actually bursting with quotes imma explode before friday

hoping for an A tho so good luck everyone !!
Inlineadam
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lets be honest; i'm ****eing it.

I made an absolute mess of the prelim but have improved since.

English has always been my worst subject by a long stretch, however, i've set my sights on an A.

I reckon i can achieve that A if the close reading is fair, and a good set of questions for the essays arise.

I've got a play/novel/poem/poem. Ideally i'd prefer to do the play and one specific poem

Good luck to everyone, lets hope we don't get a guff paper which is bawls to read!
NaturalDisaster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Close reading is going to be horrific. For critical essays I want a good jealousy/obsession/passion one for "A View from the Bridge" and a good poetry question about depression or anguish for "Spleen." Which is quite likely, no? But fingers crossed. Good luck everyone! So, so nervous! *No link questions, please no link questions, lots of imagery and analysis questions pleeeease SQA people!!!* I really want an A1. Got 46.5/50 when we practised Close reading in class last time, but I'm no where near that optimistic this time! But any A will do, really. I just want an A...now I just sound pathetic. *slaps self* Pull yourself together, girl!
jordan0141
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was wondering, when a close reading question asks about a writers line of thought, what is it? Is it like a feeling like anger or sympathy or is it something different?
Arianto
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Attention everyone, do badly so that the pass marks are lowered for me.

That is all. :borat:
username356927
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jordan0141)
I was wondering, when a close reading question asks about a writers line of thought, what is it? Is it like a feeling like anger or sympathy or is it something different?
Basically. They want you to comment on the ideas/impressions that the writer gives throughout a paragraph or the whole passage.
jordan0141
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
Basically. They want you to comment on the ideas/impressions that the writer gives throughout a paragraph or the whole passage.
Could you give an example please?
littleliongirl<3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
good luck to everyone
and if your hoping for an A the pass mark is apparently only like 65%
username356927
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jordan0141)
Could you give an example please?
Erm well you just comment on word choice, imagery etc. It might be an understanding or an evaluation question so you will have to state what the line of thought is as well as how they are caused.

I'm too tired to think of an example :eek:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (145)
38.26%
No - but I will (21)
5.54%
No - I don't want to (28)
7.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (185)
48.81%

Watched Threads