Countries you were disappointed about Watch

wasteman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Kathmandu (and to an extent just large urban areas in less developed countries, such as Bangkok). Don't get me wrong, they can be absolutely great when the chaos and animals and tuk-tuks are new to you, but i spent a long time in and near Kathmandu and actually had to do stuff there. Looking at them objectively: it is slow to get anywhere, dirty, smelly (exceptionally so in places), crowded, dangerous, lacking in facilities, hot, you have the stress of having to barter for everything and knowing that no matter how hard you do bargain you are probably getting a far worse deal because you are white, polluted, often far from pretty... the list goes on.

You can hide away in the touristy areas, but that is not the actual city and not what i am referring to. Even the very bustling chaotic khao san road is actually very well maintained and far better than the actual city.

Then again, i don't exactly like places like London either so maybe i'm exceptionally resentful of my experiences there! (and btw the rest of Nepal and Thailand - amazing. absolutely recommend them).
kathmandus the most polluted city i been to i always get sick when im there arrggg
Iorek
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Disappointing countries :-

1) ALL GCC states, worst of the lot UAE more in particular Dubai..... can't believe such a ****hole even exist.

2) Italy, went from Lugano to Milan, goodness it was like going from an OECD country into a 3rd World country. Rome..... goodness, it's one of the dirtiest places I've seen. Venice....... don't they know how to maintain stuff? Everything cost a bloody bomb and seriously I've had better tasting Italian food in Britain and USA than I had in Italy...... it really was that bad.

3) Nepal, rip-off place.. Dirty and depressing too.

4) Australia. Nothing worth seeing, Melbourne and Perth is boring, Sydney..... seems as if it is swamped with immigrants even more than Britain.

5) New Zealand....... Wales with better weather..... I'll take Wales thanks.

6) Cambodia....... never been to a more expensive 3rd world country.

7) Scotland.... dreary and characterless, England and even Wales is so much better.

8) Sweden..... BORING, other than some good looking girls, it hardly had much to offer and the young try too hard to be American without noticing it.

9) Canada..... Montreal in particular... depressing place.

10) USA.... especially NYC, Los Angeles, Florida and most of the South. What an embarrassment of a superpower country.
Swell
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Abu Dhabi - It was great... for the first two days, but theres just a lack of anything to do. Its like someone else mentioned earlier, theres just no history, no real land marks.

Where as Tunisia for example was brilliant when i went, 2 weeks and i was constantly doing something.
sanniehald
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by py0alb)
Denmark and Sweden. They were both cold, dull, grey and utterly miserable. The prices were eyewateringly ridiculous (£9 a pint and £20 for a burger) and without exception the people were breathtakingly rude and unfriendly. Apparently the Danish for "excuse me" is an elbow in the ribs.

Curious fact: the Danish celebrate New Years Eve by firing fireworks at each other and the police. I saw two middle aged women bleeding from being hit in the face. Nobody appeared to give a ****.
Wow, where the hell is this in DK?
£20 for a burger? i have never in my entire life in DK visited a place beside the airport where a burger would be so expensive
py0alb
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sanniehald)
Wow, where the hell is this in DK?
£20 for a burger? i have never in my entire life in DK visited a place beside the airport where a burger would be so expensive
Copenhagen. In the end we were forced to give up trying to eat out because we couldn't afford paying £100 for a mediocre meal and so we just ate bread in the hotel room.
Lil Piranha
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Narnia. It's dark, and I kept banging my head

Also Portugal. It just seemed very cheap and run-down to me. Maybe I was in the wrong area (the Algarve) but so far that's been the only country I haven't liked.
Soph1990
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not really a negative experience but I was a little dissapointed with cyprus.
Me and my boyfriend went to the area Paphos, and there was hardly any culture to soak up at all, every single shop/cafe was made for english tourists selling tacky souvenirs and the restaurants all served english food.
Its not necessarily a bad thing for some people, but I find these types of places a bit depressing and much prefer areas with more culture to explore!
sanniehald
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by py0alb)
Copenhagen. In the end we were forced to give up trying to eat out because we couldn't afford paying £100 for a mediocre meal and so we just ate bread in the hotel room.
Wow sounds like you guys went the wrong places then, i am sorry :/ .
katiej149
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Soph1990)
Me and my boyfriend went to the area Paphos, and there was hardly any culture to soak up at all, every single shop/cafe was made for english tourists selling tacky souvenirs and the restaurants all served english food.
Its not necessarily a bad thing for some people, but I find these types of places a bit depressing and much prefer areas with more culture to explore!
This. I went to Paphos, and tbh it just felt like it was there to be a home from home for all the Brits. I also found it really really quiet (though this may be because I went at Christmas), which was strange because I thought Cyprus, and especially Paphos was quite a popular holiday destination.
U.S Lecce
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Germany. It was nice but a bit meh.
Soph1990
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by katiej149)
This. I went to Paphos, and tbh it just felt like it was there to be a home from home for all the Brits. I also found it really really quiet (though this may be because I went at Christmas), which was strange because I thought Cyprus, and especially Paphos was quite a popular holiday destination.
Yeah I wen't at christmas too! We travelled up to the zoo for something a bit more fun to do and we were just about the only customers there! Maybe the vibe is better over summertime?
n65uk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Smilingsam)
France more specific Disneyland paris, was full of german got nothing against germans. However they were very disrespectful and always moaned if you asked them anything. Also the british/uk residents there were the only ones that are ever helpful.

We were on a coach on the way back to the airport and it was full of greeks, germans, french, spanish and other nationalities. They took up 2 seats to every one person we almost had to sit/stand in the middle of the aisle however uk residents actually gave up there seats and helped us get seats.

Edit: Grow up the people who negged me seriously if you have an opinion say so, im just telling the truth here.
Kind of agree with you. Have to say that some of the staff there were awful, but I did find quite a lot of staff very nice, very fluent in English and trying their best to help.
shutthedoor
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Maybe Paris was a lil disappointing for me... You know, in videos and movies that are made in Paris you can see that Parisian atmosphere but in real... It's kinda dreary city with people who always seem to be rushing... And everything is SO expensive... Maybe I got wrong opinion about it cause I haven't stayed there for long time + the weather was really dismal... Anyways, looking forward to visiting it again...
shutthedoor
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Cicerao)
None so far. Except I had lots of creepers flirting with me in Egypt and Jordan which was worrying. (Not bragging, I was genuinely creeped out.)

Having said that, in Jordan they were pretty friendly. Egypt, not so much.
Oh yeah... ://
I also really hated than in resorts in Egypt they behave friendly but actually they only want us to buy their stuff...
shutthedoor
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, I noticed this too. I was in Limassol but it's the same there... I didn't even hear Greek language a lot, only English and Russian... And most of people living there seem to be Russians, Americans, Indians, East Asians but not Cypriots...
Anyways, I really loved Cyprus..
Hravan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RamocitoMorales)
What a tosser. I feel sorry for your sort. I really do.
(Original post by Cappuccinoes)
This reminds me of when my Mum and I went to Paris a few years ago. Mum got so fed up of being made cups of tea without any milk in it she eventually started asking “Je voudrais thé AU LAIT? AU LAITTTTTT?!” It was so embarrassing :facepalm2:. The holiday as a whole was amazing though .
:laugh:

My problem is that I can't function without my cup of tea in the morning. Also, because I'm the resident tea-maker at home and have been for the past 10 years, I'm really pedantic about how tea is made. If my family thinks the cup of tea I've made them isn't very good I would have to make them another one.

So I have very specific requirements as to how tea is made as it's been ingrained into me over the years. Seriously, there's a specific order, certain timings (which I don't time on a clock, it's all done in my head, but friends have timed me when making tea and they say that I've never had more than 2 seconds difference in the timings over the several times they've done it ), I even know the science behind tea making because I was fed up of having to re-make cups so thought that I would research it.
It's so bad that if anybody says my full name I automatically think they want a cup of tea. :sad: (My family only ever call me by my first name instead of my nickname when they want a cup of tea :lolwut: )
fatal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by soy_david)
New Zealand. 24 hours on a plane to end up back in Wales. In the 1980s.

Catalonia, Barcelona excepted, is the anti-Spain. No sense of fun, super-conservative, take themselves far too seriously and bore you constantly with their talk of independence which they'll never do anything about because they're so conservative.
Got off the plane in AUckland to dreary rain then went my grandparents on the Coromandel Peninsula for quite possibly the worst family dinner I've ever had in my life.
xnatalie01x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah I wen't at christmas too! We travelled up to the zoo for something a bit more fun to do and we were just about the only customers there! Maybe the vibe is better over summertime?
Yeah, I would never go to Cyprus again out of season. I've been there over Christmas and February half term as my family have a place in Paphos and nothing is ever open, whether shops, restaurants or bars It's literally only retired people living there at that time of the year.

Summer is completely different though, I couldn't recommend it more The only thing is that it caters to the English a lot and it shows- but I suppose it's the same everywhere!
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Monaco's a bit over-glamorised and overrated culture-wise. That said, I'm glad I went there, taking the train from Marseille across the Riviera to Nice and getting the coast bus onward. It's beautiful.

Having said that I don't approve at British distaste for lack of tea in Paris. French people (in fact all people that aren't acquainted with Britain) don't really know what black tea with milk is and trying to order it in a café is just :facepalm2: and means that tbh not only should you not really be in Paris, you shouldn't be abroad at all.

Take your teapot if you must, but don't bring it out in public!
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fatal)
Got off the plane in AUckland to dreary rain then went my grandparents on the Coromandel Peninsula for quite possibly the worst family dinner I've ever had in my life.
I've been to the Coromandel Peninsula and I thought it was really beautiful! Did some great snorkelling too. I really liked Auckland as well, there was a lot to do there and I had some delicious food.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (546)
37.73%
No - but I will (113)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (100)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (688)
47.55%

Watched Threads