Edexcel GCE Geography unit 4: Geographical Research Watch

ldsn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm doing Life on the Margins and the Food Supply Problem. The route I'm going down is.

Desertification - The Sahel region and the Gobi Desert
Climate Change - Rajastan, India; and the Sahara Desert creeping into Europe
Commercial Farming - Kenya's switch to commercial from subsistence, Quatar land-grabbing in Africa, and Argentina's push to produce bio-fuels to ease it's debt
Politics of Distribution - Kalahandi Syndrome

I hope that's OK. Just need a good question like the one I've been basing my report around and that is: 'Desertification is just one of many complex processes leading to food insecurity. Discuss.' Please to God be something like that!!

Hope I have enough time too. My intro is pretty long and especially commercial farming too.
rylime
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Vans)
what do you mean model? like the Malthusian model? might make a table of all the factors leading to food insecurity or something.. gah im so not prepared what were you gonna put?
Yeah, the Malthusian theory is the only one that I know of... Yeah, I meant as in a table. I was just wondering if it had to be an official table or if we could just make one up, like the one you said. I'm not prepared at all either

Are you structuring your report by case study or by process?
Vans
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rylime)
Yeah, the Malthusian theory is the only one that I know of... Yeah, I meant as in a table. I was just wondering if it had to be an official table or if we could just make one up, like the one you said. I'm not prepared at all either

Are you structuring your report by case study or by process?
Will probably just put that model in, and maybe contrast with Boserup as i have nothing else! i dont know any particular tables so will just make it up to have a bit of variety.., might put in a graph showing food prices rising , there is a good one on WFP called 'food price rollercoaster.'
I think i will structure by process and then include a couple of case studies for each process as to be honest i dont know any case studies in enough depth really..how would you structure?
JizzMan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by conwainator)
Help! I just did a practice report and i could hardly remember any facts about case studies. (im doing tectonics, so stuff like magnitude, vei, death toll, etc.). Please if anyone has a quick way of learning these i would be sooooo grateful. I have 18 to learn and i could only remember 5, 3 of which were wrong! Aaaaaaaah!!!!
drink some water. read through the facts 3 times calmly getting them through your head. go to sleep. wake up early. write down as many facts as you can remember. consult your 18 facts and see how much you got right; use the remaining time to maybe keep rewriting facts until you get as many of them right as possible. no easy way around it, but... YOU CAN DO IITTT

good luck everyone. x

:bong:
kimmyl30
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Vans)
yes that would be a great question! have you got examples of drylands in developed countries that are maybe leading to food insecurity? i don't really have any contrasting locations.
I found some stats on food insecurity in USA - specifically New York City so it shows that it doesn't just happen in LEDCs and Sub-sarahan Africa
valenciano
Report 7 years ago
Good luck to everyone tomorrow
rylime
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Vans)
Will probably just put that model in, and maybe contrast with Boserup as i have nothing else! i dont know any particular tables so will just make it up to have a bit of variety.., might put in a graph showing food prices rising , there is a good one on WFP called 'food price rollercoaster.'
I think i will structure by process and then include a couple of case studies for each process as to be honest i dont know any case studies in enough depth really..how would you structure?

That sounds good!
I am going to do that too, put a process (e.g. desertification) and write a little about it. I really need to learn some stuff though... I see an all-nighter coming on!
aaahrevision
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
help!

im doing pollution but generally how r u guys analyzing your points and arguments?
i am not quite sure how to relate each point to case studies.. i feel like i am just describing my case studies in my report, and i know that analysis is crucial for this exam please help!

for example, if i had to relate physical feature of climate change to malaria and thus increased health risk i would write this:

Recent climate change is improving conditions for some diseases to thrive. Rise in temperature allows water to become readily stagnant proving adequate breeding grounds for female Anopheles, the malarial mosquito. As a result, the number of these mosquitoes will increase leading to double in an estimate of population vulnerable to malaria by 2050. However, the fact that malaria is caused by contagious diffusion when the infection is spread by direct contact risk may be lessened. Some experts worry that the disease, killing 2 million people every year, may not be confined to tropical and sub-tropical area placing over 2.5 billion people at risk. Therefore, physical feature of climate change and health risk has a strong link but this is worsened by human features. The African continent suffers from poverty which limits its people’s access to education and healthcare that can potentially reduce their health risk.

What are your views? this is only one paragraph of the report but do u think it lacks analysis?

thanks in advance
Vans
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That sounds good!
I am going to do that too, put a process (e.g. desertification) and write a little about it. I really need to learn some stuff though... I see an all-nighter coming on!
Haha im trying that too.. i think i will stay up until i can function no more, and then get up at 6 or something.. not sure i can stay up all night!
Vans
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kimmyl30)
I found some stats on food insecurity in USA - specifically New York City so it shows that it doesn't just happen in LEDCs and Sub-sarahan Africa
Yeh i have found a few things about food insecurity in the USA but it is mainly about economic access and not a phsyical lack...i cant really find anything about desertification in the USA, unless you go all the way back to the dust bowl, which may now be seen as a slightly outdated case study!
rylime
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Vans)
Haha im trying that too.. i think i will stay up until i can function no more, and then get up at 6 or something.. not sure i can stay up all night!

That would be a good idea too... similar to what I did last night I had literature this morning and went to sleep at around 3.30am and got up at around 6.00am - I learnt more stuff that night than the whole year though!

And oh dear, I hope I've made the right decision here but I have now changed the structure of my exam... I am going to do it from different locations and talk about the processes that are occurring in them.
Vans
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That would be a good idea too... similar to what I did last night I had literature this morning and went to sleep at around 3.30am and got up at around 6.00am - I learnt more stuff that night than the whole year though!

And oh dear, I hope I've made the right decision here but I have now changed the structure of my exam... I am going to do it from different locations and talk about the processes that are occurring in them.
Wow..you must be tired! Yeah i think i am basically trying to learn every cause of food insecurity plus case studies in one night, i hope its possible :s. that seems like a good way to structure it..how many locations do you think you will talk about?
rylime
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Vans)
Wow..you must be tired! Yeah i think i am basically trying to learn every cause of food insecurity plus case studies in one night, i hope its possible :s. that seems like a good way to structure it..how many locations do you think you will talk about?
I am shattered hehe Oh well, not much longer and no more school ever again yayy!

It is possible, keep at it! Oh, I'm glad think so, I needed reassuring! I am going to try and talk about 5 different locations, and if I am stuck for time then I will cut it to 4. How many case studies are you including?
Vans
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am shattered hehe Oh well, not much longer and no more school ever again yayy!

It is possible, keep at it! Oh, I'm glad think so, I needed reassuring! I am going to try and talk about 5 different locations, and if I am stuck for time then I will cut it to 4. How many case studies are you including?
Haha yes you're right definitely possible! Yeah this is my last one! probably a similar number to you around 4 or 5, i think the sahel and china will probably be my main case studies..and then will put in some shorter ones..
anyway good luck! hope it goes well
rylime
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have one more English exam next week then I'm done too! Yeah, I think 4/5 is probably the best thing to do. Sahel and China are my main ones too! Thank you, good luck and hope it goes well for you too!
antipesto93
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
wake uppppp!
Superstar6318
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am so scared about this exam. I was meant to pull an all nighter but ended up sleeping and I a have no drive/motivation or excitement to get it over with. I hate this and I'm going to fail. I bet I can't even scrape a C.
rylime
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ahhh, so scared. Pretty much an all-nighter for me (well, 2 hours sleep at one point). Still don't know how I'm going to structure it or what I'm going to write!
Helpful_Charlie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We all do geography here, right? What are the advantages and limitations for using observation as a data collection method. I only require 3 for each, thanks.
ldsn
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good luck everyone! Let's smash it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (254)
38.84%
No - but I will (45)
6.88%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.19%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (308)
47.09%

Watched Threads