Turn on thread page Beta

Girls, would you change your surname to your husband's when you married? watch

• View Poll Results: Girls,would you change your surname?;Guys, do you expect your wives to change theirs?
    Yes
    71.82%
    No
    28.18%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    You forgot that the dad gets the husbands best *insert farmyard animal here* in exchange for his daughter.

But yeah, that's why I wouldn't take their name. I'm not owned by anyone.
    Not my personal opinion, just a suggestion.

ReputationRep:
    There used to be a time when it was more important to pass on your genes. Do second names have a genetic code to them passed on to off-springs?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think I will. Only time will tell however I am quite traditional. Although, I am not too bothered about it.

ReputationRep:
    Stupidest name I've heard is a Miss Andrews, who chose to become Mrs Andrews-****.

ReputationRep:
    I would be offended if she didn't.
    Saying that I'm not even sure I will marry because I don't want to risk the chance of some psycho ***** divorcing me taking all my ****.
    xD

ReputationRep:
    No - my name's comical, but it needs both my Christian name and surname to work. If I had a different surname (except one of three, one of which would actually make it better and all of which keep it funny), it would just be boring.

If we had children, I wouldn't be too fussed about 'preserving' my name - whichever it better for the child, it would get. If I don't preserve my surname, it'll die out because I'm an only daughter, but that doesn't really bother me. I'm not sure if it's better for the child to have the same surname as the mother or the father, though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RipperRoo)
    Stupidest name I've heard is a Miss Andrews, who chose to become Mrs Andrews-****.
    My great-great-grandmother was originally called Jane Morrow, then married someone called William Jayne.

She became Mrs Jane Jayne.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't marry a girl that would not take my surname, simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    i intend to marry someone with the same surname as me. problem solved :smug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fat-Love)
    If you had a brother called Richard...

The name's Balls... **** Balls...
    I know someone called Richard Head.

ReputationRep:
    I expect I'll get negged, but whatever. If I get married I am not going to change my name, nor would I change my title from Ms (which I have been using since my 16th birthday) to Mrs. However, I respect that other women may have different views. The important thing is that they should be allowed to make their own decision for their own reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Hyphenated? STFU and change it.

ReputationRep:
    This depends...but the question is: WILL A GUY CHANGE HIS SURNAME TO HIS WIFE'S NAME??

ReputationRep:
    When me and my fiance get married we are both changing our names to something different, he has lost all respect and contact for his family and wishes to no longer have his surname.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i definatly would. I love the idea of us having the same surname.

ReputationRep:
    I would, I don't particularly like my surname anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robinson's_Crusade)
    I know someone called Richard Head.
    My (married) great grandparents were called **** and Fanny, no word of a lie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexmagpie)
    My (married) great grandparents were called **** and Fanny, no word of a lie.
    It's like a more permanent version of His and Hers towels. :sexface:

My grandmother is Frances and my father is Richard (not Richard Head), which abbreviate to Fanny and **** ... but as they're mother and son, I hope people don't make that connection between them. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SergioMZ)
    Am I the only guy who would prefer her future wife to keep her own name?
    Here in Spain we have two surnames (our dad's first surname and our mum's first surname, usually in that order), and no one changes their surnames when they marry.
    To be fair, if I ever marry (in the UK, that is), I would hyphen my two surnames because I don't want to lose any of them, and I would expect my future wife to not want to lose her surname(s) either, so, why should she?
    Plus, if she did, my children would have the same surname (mine) twice in their Spanish passport... I think it'd be better for them to have my first surname and her mother's, showing their full ancestry.

Of course, if she wanted my surname, I'd be happy, but I would never, never ask anyone to give up their name to take mine.
    How would you feel about having 3 names, or taking one as your middle name? (If you can.) I find this interesting because my other half is also from a similar two parental surname culture, yet wants to add my name to the end. So, Mr FirstName Mother'sName Father'sName MyLastName... I think it's nice in intercultural marriages because it reflects your own heritage and the heritage of your spouse. Although it's a huge mouthful, I guess...

ReputationRep:
    I would much prefer them to take my name - it would make me feel like much more of a family having the same surname. It wouldn't be a deal-breaker, though.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.