Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone going to Bristol
    Or Birmingham open days on the 30th of June and 1st of July?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by splitstriker)
    This business about needing 8A*'s for King's is ridiculous, everyones GCSE grades in my year(from what I know) are so varied and I definitely would say the average is much less than 8A*'s (more like 2-6A*'s, and that's being generous).

GCSE's only matter if you've screwed up in a subject like maths or english. If you haven't, just move on and concentrate on the other (infinitely more important) parts of your application!
    Hey! Do you think its necessary to go to ALL open days? i was originally planning to go to 3 but now im thinking maybe i should go to manchester and leeds only and not sheffield because im not sure if i want to apply there until i do UKCAT, what do you think i should do? did they ask you on your interview wether you went to their open day or not?
    Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Procrastinater)
    Am going to be applying for 2012 entry too. But i have left things way too late and now i just feel like killing myself. I am always a procrastinator and never get things done on time...including exam revision and stuff. I am desperately trying to organize work experience now and most of the surgeries say they don't do it because of "insurance" problems and the private surgeries aren't liable to do it. Not to mention how i haven't got any volunteer stuff etc. I know its my own fault but can anyone give me advice on what to do now?.......and how much is the "normal" for work experience.... because i have read of people who have done like a year of work experience and like 2 years of volunteer work with ridiculous UKCAT scores etc.

Can someone help me please?

Thanks

/end rant

a year of work experience?! i highly doubt that! You can always take a gap year, make sure you get the As and then go on a gap year and get ahead with the volunteer work.etc. good luck !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patchey1000)
    Anyone going to Bristol
    Or Birmingham open days on the 30th of June and 1st of July?
    im going to Bristol in september hopefully, i left booking too late so places are full :/

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Thanks for the reply. By a years work experience i meant people who go every week after school on like 2 or 3 days for a year. There are people who have been lucky enough to get that sort of work experience. And also about Open days, i doubt you would have to go to all of them. Go to the open days of universities that you want to go to ie: the 2 or 3 top choices on your UCAS form.

Regards.

ReputationRep:
    hey

just wondering if anyone knows which universitys weight work experience less than others, as im having SO much trouble finding some, i've managed to secure two weeks which is like, the bare minimum for all the universitys my gcses and as/a level predicitions are all really high and ive done loads of other work experience/voluntary in hospitals and stuff but just not much in a general practice so im worried its gonna let me down on my application *face palm*

oh and has anyone started studying for the ukcat yet? i dont know where to start!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Just wondering if anyone has applied for mature entry dentistry to UCC (2011 entry ) and had an interview? When do we hear back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatatatATTACK)
    hey

just wondering if anyone knows which universitys weight work experience less than others, as im having SO much trouble finding some, i've managed to secure two weeks which is like, the bare minimum for all the universitys my gcses and as/a level predicitions are all really high and ive done loads of other work experience/voluntary in hospitals and stuff but just not much in a general practice so im worried its gonna let me down on my application *face palm*

oh and has anyone started studying for the ukcat yet? i dont know where to start!

don't even go there with the ukcat! i did it last year and got an horrific score so i've no idea how i'm going to do any better! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, am starting my EPQ and would like to do it about dental issues or on anything related to oral health and dentistry. Anybody have any suggestions?! i am so stuck! :|

ReputationRep:
    I'd say I've got high gcse grades and high as level grades; and do lots of sporty, musicy and voluntary type things. But I'm not too sure if I have sufficient work experience. Everyone on here seems to have done loads. Would 2 weeks GDP, 1 week Ortho, 1 week Hospital be enough or would I need a lot more, especially considering I want to aply to Leeds, who seem to like a lot of work experience?

ReputationRep:
    NatatatATTACK and GeorgieBoy

You both have a lot of work experience, it would be good if NatatatATTACK got like a week at a GDP. But you guys gotta remember TSR is where the creme de la creme hangs out. So obv everyone is going to have a lot of work experience. But if you guys cant find any dont fret, a lot of people are in that same boat....just like me. You two seem to have found other types of work experience too. You can also send emails to the dental head at the university you want to apply to and know their stance on work experience.

Good luck and i hope i have helped.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by GeorgieBoy)
    I'd say I've got high gcse grades and high as level grades; and do lots of sporty, musicy and voluntary type things. But I'm not too sure if I have sufficient work experience. Everyone on here seems to have done loads. Would 2 weeks GDP, 1 week Ortho, 1 week Hospital be enough or would I need a lot more, especially considering I want to aply to Leeds, who seem to like a lot of work experience?
    I think that should be fine. Universities understand that getting work experience can be difficult, and if you have voluntary stuff in caring roles/working with the public then that should add to it.
    Plus, if you had loads of work experience you wouldn't be able to fit it all in your PS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by racheatworld)
    Universities understand that getting work experience can be difficult
    Not so sure about that. I spoke to a Dean of faculty a couple of weeks back after they had said that the w.exp stipulated was the bare minimum and if most candidtates had higher then the benchmark would be moved up. I asked if mitigating factors such as having to work full time and having 2 kids were taken into account. After about 3 second's thought she said not really.

From my experience getting w.exp has been a doddle. I asked my dentist - did a week there, then he passed me on to a friend for a further 2 weeks. I am now sorting out a week in a hospital after emailing and politely asking. I'm sure it can be much, much more difficult than this but just keep asking and someone will say yes.

ReputationRep:
    i have 21.5 days of work experience.. is this enough? how much more do i need?

ReputationRep:
    What are the grades you would need at GCSE and at Alevel to stand a good chance of getting into dentistry at a university? Thanls x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ganep001)
    What are the grades you would need at GCSE and at Alevel to stand a good chance of getting into dentistry at a university? Thanls x
    DYOR
    <rant>Bit bored of people who are supposedly the very pinnacle of academic excellence asking questions that you can find the answers to in 5 minutes searching. If it's laziness, give up now. If it's lack of initiative give up now.</rant>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cptKernow)
    DYOR
    <rant>Bit bored of people who are supposedly the very pinnacle of academic excellence asking questions that you can find the answers to in 5 minutes searching. If it's laziness, give up now. If it's lack of initiative give up now.</rant>
    I am not denying that I am not or I am, but what so tells you to describe me as the "very pinnacle of acadamic excellence"? I was merely asking one a question hoping that there may be someone who has already entered for dentistry at a university and would give me some advise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ganep001)
    I am not denying that I am not or I am, but what so tells you to describe me as the "very pinnacle of acadamic excellence"? I was merely asking one a question hoping that there may be someone who has already entered for dentistry at a university and would give me some advise.
    How about you do some research and then come back and ask questions which might demonstrate at least a modicum of commitment to pursuing dentistry. Then I for one would be inclined to give you a much warmer reception.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R006)
    hey guys, am starting my EPQ and would like to do it about dental issues or on anything related to oral health and dentistry. Anybody have any suggestions?! i am so stuck! :|
    Amalgam fillings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cptKernow)
    How about you do some research and then come back and ask questions which might demonstrate at least a modicum of commitment to pursuing dentistry. Then I for one would be inclined to give you a much warmer reception.
    What tells you that I haven't done any research. The fact is many universities put up all these grades for a-level and GCSE yet many of them do not follow by them, especially as smarter candidates apply each year. I was simply asking in mere confidence that someone would warmly incline to my request by providing guidance, but it seems that this is simply is not the case with you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 12, 2012

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.