Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    Yeah I ****ing hate when they don't take my sit and feel all awkward and ****. They stare at you because they are trying to appeals to your morals. Most people have parents that taught them to get up for the elderly. I don't see nothing wrong with beggars expecting you to give them money, you aren't in a much more fortunate position then them. Imagine your a begger, you're already begging and you speak up yet get rejected. How would you feel? ****ing worse than that awkward feeling you felt that's for sure.

Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do - Voltaire
    I hate that moment! What's worse is when you pluck up the courage to call them and offer the seat but they don't hear you, then you stand and try again but they get offended But we really shouldn't talk about the elderly as a homogenous group as just because some are rude/take offence it is not to say they all are like that and that we should forget about them all together!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bench)
    A deteriorating body normally, and i say normally but is not always the case, means that its time to start thinking of the end. If your body is unable to survive on its own and needs constant medical treatment then maybe you have lived past your time.
    Ever taken penicillin? Ever wondered what would have happened if you hadn't?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nish81)
    I don't think there's anything wrong with not giving up a non-priority seat if you're really sick. obviously a crappy position though because no-one will realise/assume you're sick. sucks how cynical people are eh
    It's because the person sitting next to was an old lady so I was kind of "in the spotlight" and yup whatever happened to naivety?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saranghea)
    So today I was on the bus and it was unbelievably packed. Luckily I managed to snag a seat. I look up and there is an elderly lady standing nearby and just by her side is an equally (if not more) elderly man. What to do? Now I am seriously ill today, I'm in bed as we speak. I felt like I was going to faint on that bus! The lady next to me got up and offerred her chair to one of them and looked at me expectantly. I just smiled and put my headphones in. She tsk'd and the elderly man left standing shook his head at me and muttered something or other (probably about "youth of today") making me feel very ashamed :ashamed2:. The bus ride was quite long and there was an unusually high number of elderly people. I got a lot of dissapproving looks. I think at some point I said sorry I'm ill but alas to no avail. Nobody cared.

I wasn't sitting in the assigned "give your seat up" zone! just because I'm young I'm expected to be in top form health wise 24/7?! Why can't a young person be one of the "less able to stand"??? Don't get me wrong, I do give my seat up to the elderly/pregnant etc but not when I'm ILL shheeshh!

Do you give your seat up? Or do you believe you shouldn't have to? have you ever received abuse for not doing so even though you couldn't

EDIT: I don't understand why I'm getting negged; I spent the day in hospital (mostly in the waiting room but still!)and I actually was genuinely ill. I'm just pointing out that people on buses shouldn't "judge a book by it's cover" as it were...
    I was sat in the elderly/disabled bit because I was recovering from a broken leg, and had my crutches resting against the wall of the bus. I STILL got an elderly man ask "Aren't you going to give up your seat?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A level Az)
    No it doesn't. Please look up the words courteous, respect, and chronic back pain.
    No, your argument centred on the fact that if the OP was able to walk to the hospital she could stand. By the sameargument if the old person can walk to and from the bus stop so can they. I understand all those terms thank you very much.

Giving up a seat to someone who genuinely requires it more than you? No problem.

Giving up a seat to some who thinks or assumes they deserve it more than you? Nah, no thanks. Heck, look at the post directly above this one ^^. Horrendous attitude.

ReputationRep:
    It's because the person sitting next to was an old lady so I was kind of "in the spotlight" and yup whatever happened to naivety?!
    the mainstream media make old people think that the youf of today are selfish inconsiderate pigs

ReputationRep:
    You do realize that as medical science advances old people are becoming more healthy? 50 years ago a 50 year old would have been akin to a mid-60s+ of todays time whereas now 50 is akin to 40.
    Exactly so why should the youth of today be damned for simply not giving up a seat to an 'elderly'? If we are living longer then surely we are stronger as well, so to say that a 50 year old cannot stand is a complete lie.

Just to say i do offer my seat all the time, even if i do pay the premium rate of £2.70 for a train ticket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankieboy)
    Ever taken penicillin? Ever wondered what would have happened if you hadn't?
    No sorry i never, in my living memory, taken penicillin. I haven't had a paracetamol either. I have only ever had aspirin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    I was sat in the elderly/disabled bit because I was recovering from a broken leg, and had my crutches resting against the wall of the bus. I STILL got an elderly man ask "Aren't you going to give up your seat?"
    :eek:

By the way, you know how the picture also has a woman with a child on her lap? Does that mean if a man gets on with a little child TECHNICALLY people should give up their seat to him? It's just I've never seen it happen and I think it's unfair they're expected to hold the chikd and stand just because they're "men"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A level Az)
    No it doesn't. Please look up the words courteous, respect, and chronic back pain.
    Some people are just plain selfish and greedy. Sad world we live innit, people don't even have the common courtesy to offer seats to people who need more than us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aramiss18)
    No, your argument centred on the fact that if the OP was able to walk to the hospital she could stand. By the sameargument if the old person can walk to and from the bus stop so can they. I understand all those terms thank you very much.

Giving up a seat to someone who genuinely requires it more than you? No problem.

Giving up a seat to some who thinks or assumes they deserve it more than you? Nah, no thanks. Heck, look at the post directly above this one ^^. Horrendous attitude.
    I'm my opinion an old person does genuinely require the seat more than the OP, who doesn't actually sound that ill judging by what they've told us. And obviously I don't think you should stand on a bus if you have a broken leg, that's just ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankieboy)
    You seriously think that's what goes through their minds? Christ are you on extremely strong acid or something? You're nuts, completely insane.

They probably just don't feel they need the seat and are being kind to you by letting you keep it.

What strange train of thought made you work out that they refuse for the reason you said? You must have taken the scenic route.
    Well obvs thats just one end of the spectrum but the fact of the matter is them refusing is embarrassing and a factor in why i no longer offer to give up my seat. If they ask I will happily give up however.

But this is small fry compared to the greates problem on buses

PRAMS!!!

I heard back in the old days you had to fold it and carry the baby. Nowadays things are so bad you got people getting on with empty (!) prams or full of shopping or whatever and telling you to get out of the way. And it doesn't end there, when the bus is full they still insist on getting on!

ReputationRep:
    So today I was on the bus and it was unbelievably packed. Luckily I managed to snag a seat. I look up and there is an elderly lady standing nearby and just by her side is an equally (if not more) elderly man. What to do? Now I am seriously ill today, I'm in bed as we speak. I felt like I was going to faint on that bus! The lady next to me got up and offerred her chair to one of them and looked at me expectantly. I just smiled and put my headphones in. She tsk'd and the elderly man left standing shook his head at me and muttered something or other (probably about "youth of today") making me feel very ashamed :ashamed2:. The bus ride was quite long and there was an unusually high number of elderly people. I got a lot of dissapproving looks. I think at some point I said sorry I'm ill but alas to no avail. Nobody cared.

I wasn't sitting in the assigned "give your seat up" zone! just because I'm young I'm expected to be in top form health wise 24/7?! Why can't a young person be one of the "less able to stand"??? Don't get me wrong, I do give my seat up to the elderly/pregnant etc but not when I'm ILL shheeshh!

Do you give your seat up? Or do you believe you shouldn't have to? have you ever received abuse for not doing so even though you couldn't

EDIT: I don't understand why I'm getting negged; I spent the day in hospital (mostly in the waiting room but still!)and I actually was genuinely ill. I'm just pointing out that people on buses shouldn't "judge a book by it's cover" as it were...
    I always give up my seat when there's a "less able to stand" person, but I haven't been on the bus when I'm ill so I don't know what my situation would be!

There aren't that many elderly people on the bus I usually get anyway. I feel as though you were okay to stay sitting as you were ill and it was wrong of everyone to judge you. Sometimes elderly people put all the youths into one basket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayah)
    Some people are just plain selfish and greedy. Sad world we live innit, people don't even have the common courtesy to offer seats to people who need more than us.
    Yup it is sad indeed. People feel the need to be rebellious for some reason and end up starting threads like this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bench)
    Exactly so why should the youth of today be damned for simply not giving up a seat to an 'elderly'? If we are living longer then surely we are stronger as well, so to say that a 50 year old cannot stand is a complete lie.

Just to say i do offer my seat all the time, even if i do pay the premium rate of £2.70 for a train ticket.
    Most 50s don't ask for seats anyway and those that do you can tell from their physical resemblance if they need it which most of the time they do. It's mostly 60s+ and they are still in need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowbex)
    Your attitude is shocking, do you have any concept of empathy?

Not everyone can take the pill - eg. People who suffer from migranes, people over 35, people who've had a DVT. People who react badly to it - it makes me depressed for example. The pill comes with a whole bucket load of side effects, just because you're lucky enough that you don't get them. pah.
    There's more than one type of pill. I was started on Microgynon 30 and it made me completely lose my apetite, which entirely screwed me over mentally due to also being t1 diabetic. I was prescribed a different type of pill and it had no side effects. People who believe they can't take the pill are misinformd.

ReputationRep:
    the other day a woman got out of her seat and off the bus, me and this old man were stood up but he insisted I had the seat, although to be fair he did have a big package so it would have been more awkward for him and people trying to get by if he'd sat down . . .

ReputationRep:
    Most 50s don't ask for seats anyway and those that do you can tell from their physical resemblance if they need it which most of the time they do. It's mostly 60s+ and they are still in need.
    Yes, the majority of times a senior member of our society will need to sit down on a bus however, sometimes a minority of our society, in this case the girl who started the thread, needed to use the seat as equally or more.

Its this that need to be put into the minds of todays people, to judge one in a negative way is not acceptable whether you're an teenager, adult or elderly.

ReputationRep:
    Thankfully, I've never been in a position where I've needed to give up a seat as I can't stand standing up on long bus or train rides

There seems to be a lot of people who've encountered rude elderly people but I can honestly say I never have.

OP, next time you're ill and don't want to deal with hassle perhaps pretend to be asleep? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thats a bit of a piss take especially if you werent in one of those zones...

if i were in your position, id slyly make it a little bit more obvious that i was sick, kind of like a polite way of expressing "im going to die *****, let me have my seat, you healthy fool"

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.