snowpatrolchlo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by _Shmiley)
I can't stand people who boast about smoking weed, like 15 year olds who think they're suddenly cooler and better than me because they know people who can buy weed for them and they smoke it. I have no problem really with people smoking weed, but it's when they brag about it and think they're really cool about it, just really annoys me. Anyone else share this view?
I'm the same! I'm not against it- as long as it's legal- but I'm not interested and it makes me feel uncomfortable- I don't want to be out with people who are all as high as a kite!
I know a 15 year old and every thing she likes on FB is to do with Weed. It's laughable.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Legalisation of drugs would allow them to be regulated, ensuring better informed doses and less crap in them.

Generally oppose most drugs, although weed seems relatively harmless.
es.c
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Alofleicester)
And if you legalise it then there won't be dealers, because you'll just to be able to buy it at a chemist, or supermarket - like drugs that are currently legal.

And they'd be right in saying that jail doesn't work - so why the **** do people still insist it's a good thing they're illegal?
Oh, and no, they aren't trying to stop drug use, but drug abuse - there is a massive difference between use and abuse.

Really, what are they?
In particular hallucinogenic drugs - they cause minimal harm, and have been responsible for massive advancements (the structure of DNA was discovered on DNA, Tesla was tripping when he visualised his alternating-current motor, Steve Jobs ranked doing LSD as one of the three most important things he ever did) - why are they illegal?
Fair points made, however, the difference between dealers and supermarket dealers is age restrictions. If adults are taking them more, who's to say young kids won't as well? And it wouldn't be just if kids were attacked by illegal dealers and addicted at young ages. Also, isn't there a massive battle with alcoholics trying to kick the habit. If drugs were as widespread ans available as alcohol, wouldn't that just be another addiction for the majority of society to try and beat? Don't get me wrong, a lot of people enjoy alcohol, but a lot of people also wish they could kick the habit
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by es.c)
Fair points made, however, the difference between dealers and supermarket dealers is age restrictions. If adults are taking them more, who's to say young kids won't as well?
And, like with alcohol - what happens? The parents let the kids try, or the kids get someone else to buy stuff for them. How many alcohol or tobacco dealers do you see? Pretty much none - because it's correctly regulated.

Also, isn't there a massive battle with alcoholics trying to kick the habit. If drugs were as widespread ans available as alcohol, wouldn't that just be another addiction for the majority of society to try and beat?
Again - alcoholics - people who are addicted, people who abuse the substance - not a reason for it to be made illegal, plenty just use the drug.
Not at all, just because a drug is legalised, doesn't mean the majority of society will become addicts, if you're talking instead about society trying to help those addicted - well that addiction already exists, and is already being tackled, once we've finished punishing them for being addicts.
DudeRugs
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by es.c)
Fair points made, however, the difference between dealers and supermarket dealers is age restrictions. If adults are taking them more, who's to say young kids won't as well? And it wouldn't be just if kids were attacked by illegal dealers and addicted at young ages. Also, isn't there a massive battle with alcoholics trying to kick the habit. If drugs were as widespread ans available as alcohol, wouldn't that just be another addiction for the majority of society to try and beat? Don't get me wrong, a lot of people enjoy alcohol, but a lot of people also wish they could kick the habit
The addiction problem doesn't apply to drugs like lsd though. since its non addictive to begin with, it also has an extremely fast tolerance build up (in literally hours) which lasts for around a week. So people cannot even become psychologically addicted to it either.
People don't distinguish between different drugs enough when talking about drug laws, which makes it very hard to make small changes to change the problem and also makes peoples views on drugs very distorted.
es.c
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
And, like with alcohol - what happens? The parents let the kids try, or the kids get someone else to buy stuff for them. How many alcohol or tobacco dealers do you see? Pretty much none - because it's correctly regulated.

Again - alcoholics - people who are addicted, people who abuse the substance - not a reason for it to be made illegal, plenty just use the drug.
Not at all, just because a drug is legalised, doesn't mean the majority of society will become addicts, if you're talking instead about society trying to help those addicted - well that addiction already exists, and is already being tackled, once we've finished punishing them for being addicts.
I think if it became legalized then more people would try it and therefore more people would become addicted. As you said, more parents would be addicted as they youngsters age, and then they pass it to there kids and it becomes an endless cycle

Either way, we could all have theories about what could happen, but the reality is that the government all have pretty unanimous views against drugs, and legalization of it won't be anytime soon unless a different type of 'green' party wins at the 2015 elections
es.c
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DudeRugs)
The addiction problem doesn't apply to drugs like lsd though. since its non addictive to begin with, it also has an extremely fast tolerance build up (in literally hours) which lasts for around a week. So people cannot even become psychologically addicted to it either.
People don't distinguish between different drugs enough when talking about drug laws, which makes it very hard to make small changes to change the problem and also makes peoples views on drugs very distorted.
Apologies, I'm talking about class A imported drugs like cocaine. Of course drugs such as LSD, after clinical trials, should be legalized , but I was on more general drug abuse
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by es.c)
I think if it became legalised then more people would try it and therefore more people would become addicted. As you said, more parents would be addicted as they youngsters age, and then they pass it to there kids and it becomes an endless cycle

Either way, we could all have theories about what could happen, but the reality is that the government all have pretty unanimous views against drugs, and legalisation of it won't be anytime soon unless a different type of 'green' party wins at the 2015 elections
I said nothing of the sort - all I said was that if the kids want to try it because their parents use it, doesn't immediately follow that the kids would go to dealers.
As for your thoughts as to legalisation -> more trying it -> more addicted - again, the stats oppose you, look at post #154, use in Portugal is a lot lower, where drugs are legal. Finally, children don't just blindly follow their parents - just as in politics, I don't vote tory just because my parent do, I'm not necessarily going to do certain drugs just because my parents do.

The green party are pro-legalisation :fyi:
es.c
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I said nothing of the sort - all I said was that if the kids want to try it because their parents use it, doesn't immediately follow that the kids would go to dealers.
As for your thoughts as to legalisation -> more trying it -> more addicted - again, the stats oppose you, look at post #154, use in Portugal is a lot lower, where drugs are legal. Finally, children don't just blindly follow their parents - just as in politics, I don't vote tory just because my parent do, I'm not necessarily going to do certain drugs just because my parents do.

The green party are pro-legalisation :fyi:
As in parents can influence the way children think. For instance, a parent may use drugs as a get away from stress, a child might see this and possibly try this as he grows older, and possibly get addicted. Of course not all would directly pick up a hint as such, however some may.

Oh and that's why a said a 'different' green... as in marijuana green..
queue disastrous pun #fail
WhatsHisFace
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RachelSophia)
I wouldnt call it 'irrational' but you dont know me so that opinion is worthless. Im sure there's a few laws you agree with and I dont. Wouldnt say that you're controlling because you believe in something different. That doesnt make any sense at all. Bore someone else

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Xperia S
I realize that you gave up on our discussion, however I'm starting to wonder if you know what the work rational means...

(Original post by es.c)
As in parents can influence the way children think. For instance, a parent may use drugs as a get away from stress, a child might see this and possibly try this as he grows older, and possibly get addicted. Of course not all would directly pick up a hint as such, however some may.

Oh and that's why a said a 'different' green... as in marijuana green..
queue disastrous pun #fail
I'm sure this was said before, but it'd be the same deal with alcoholics. Some people may follow in their parents footsteps, some people want to do the exact opposite in their lives. All I know is robbing the child of a father/ mother won't fix that.

At the end of the day, we both want less drug abuse, correct? Wouldn't you think that it would work better if we instead of throwing a drug addict into a prison cell, that we refer them to get counseling? That has been the way Portugal addressed it's hard drug issues, and it worked great.
RachelSophia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by WhatsHisFace)
I realize that you gave up on our discussion, however I'm starting to wonder if you know what the work rational means...

I'm sure this was said before, but it'd be the same deal with alcoholics. Some people may follow in their parents footsteps, some people want to do the exact opposite in their lives. All I know is robbing the child of a father/ mother won't fix that.

At the end of the day, we both want less drug abuse, correct? Wouldn't you think that it would work better if we instead of throwing a drug addict into a prison cell, that we refer them to get counseling? That has been the way Portugal addressed it's hard drug issues, and it worked great.
I really cba with you im agreeing to disagree. I know what rational and irrational mean, don't patronise me. However you can't call someone irrational for having a belief if you dont know what has caused them to think what they do, there is reasoning and many explanations to what I think, you just chose not to accept it, out of arrogance or close mindedness perhaps.

RachelSophia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Captain Haddock)
Well I've yet to see you rationalise your hatred for drugs whatsoever. All you've done is say they are 'stupid' and they 'freak you out', and then lash out at anyone who tries to offer a different viewpoint. So if you don't think your hatred is irrational you're not doing a very good job of showing us how it isn't. And anyway, even if you can rationalise your blanket hatred for drugs why should your personal feelings have any bearing on my life in the form of anti-drug laws?
I do not wish to discuss my personal life on a forum. Which is why I said you dont know me... But that is a reason amoung many that I hage mentioned.
Ive failed to see someone justify why the should be legal except because they want them to be in their life.
Again I am not controlling your life am I. You do what ever the **** you wanna do. Im happy with the law that others put in place as it suits my beliefs and the future I want for my kids. Syould I then agree with it being legalised to suit everyone else and not myself? No, that isnt the point of democracy.

WhatsHisFace
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I really cba with you im agreeing to disagree. I know what rational and irrational mean, don't patronise me. However you can't call someone irrational for having a belief if you dont know what has caused them to think what they do, there is reasoning and many explanations to what I think, you just chose not to accept it, out of arrogance or close mindedness perhaps.

Your opinion is perfectly valid if you had something to back them up, but you avoid giving me any proof by just saying that I need to accept it. You can justify anything by saying that.
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ive failed to see someone justify why the should be legal except because they want them to be in their life.
How about because criminalisation hasn't worked in stopping use, how about because the tax money that would come in would really help the economy or, how about so addicts can stop being treated like criminals and actually get the help they need? To quote Bill Hicks again: "Why do we put people who are on drugs in jail? They’re sick. They’re not criminals. Sick people don’t get healed in jail."

Again I am not controlling your life am I. You do what ever the **** you wanna do. Im happy with the law that others put in place as it suits my beliefs and the future I want for my kids.
Well, if you are insisting that drugs remain illegal, then you are controlling someone's life - you're making an innocent little past-time into a criminal offence and just shouting "I don't like it, so you're a criminal if you do it."

Syould I then agree with it being legalised to suit everyone else and not myself? No, that isnt the point of democracy.
Nor is it the point of democracy for your opinions to be valued over that of the majority.
n00
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
the future I want for my kids.
You want your kids to get a criminal record and possible jail time if they choose to take relatively harmless substances?
RachelSophia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How about because criminalisation hasn't worked in stopping use, how about because the tax money that would come in would really help the economy or, how about so addicts can stop being treated like criminals and actually get the help they need? To quote Bill Hicks again: "Why do we put people who are on drugs in jail? They’re sick. They’re not criminals. Sick people don’t get healed in jail."

Well, if you are insisting that drugs remain illegal, then you are controlling someone's life - you're making an innocent little past-time into a criminal offence and just shouting "I don't like it, so you're a criminal if you do it."

Nor is it the point of democracy for your opinions to be valued over that of the majority.
If it hasn't worked then why are you all complaining.
So drug users are sick and the legalisation will make them able to get help? Whilst making others start doing it and also need help? Because it wil help the economy! Thats ok then.
And yes if you do something illegal you are a criminal. Whether you disagree with the law or not. I dont believe its an 'innocent little past time' what are you not getting? Your insisting they are good and i'm saying they are bad, rather than accept our differences you keep going on and on about how im controlling you by sitting here on a phone having an opinion which im entitled to! And trying to control my thoughts to meet your own.
I didnt create the law so how is my opinion valued more? I may be a minority on TSR but I may not in the general public. You just don't know

Please stop trying to convince me drugs are good for you. I'm not going to change my beliefs you're just giving more reasons why I like them being illegal. Go write to the government instead. I cba now

RachelSophia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by n00)
You want your kids to get a criminal record and possible jail time if they choose to take relatively harmless substances?
Hopefully I wont raise someone to be a druggy. Just as I'm sure you wont raise your children to be alcohol dependent.

Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If it hasn't worked then why are you all complaining.
So drug users are sick and the legalisation will make them able to get help? Whilst making others start doing it and also need help? Because it wil help the economy! Thats ok then.
What do you mean? It hasn't worked, jail does not help deal with drug abuse - so why should I continue to be considered a criminal for relaxing at the end of a hard day with a small spliff?

Legalising it isn't necessarily going to start more people off doing it - again, Post #154:
Before decriminilisation, Portugal had some of the highest rates of hard drug usage in the EU - these rates have now in fact dropped not only to an average level but to an outstanding level. Statistics of how many over the age of 15 in Portugal use weed: 10% (the lowest in the EU now). This statistic for America, where drug laws are more strict: 39.8%.
So - real life suggests that if anything use will decrease, kindly quit your bull**** that flies in the face of all reason, fact or logic.
If people are still going to use it, is it not a better thing that the money from them helps run the ****ing country?

And yes if you do something illegal you are a criminal. Whether you disagree with the law or not. I dont believe its an 'innocent little past time' what are you not getting?
But it is an innocent little past-time. All I get is a bit of relaxation, and actually help sleeping - I'm not harming anyone, I'm not affecting anyone else's life, I'm just sitting down and loosening up - no different to some people playing a computer game to ease off in their free-time.

Your insisting they are good and i'm saying they are bad, rather than accept our differences you keep going on and on about how im controlling you by sitting here on a phone having an opinion which im entitled to! And trying to control my thoughts to meet your own.
I'm not trying to control your thoughts - I'm just pointing out the many, many flaws in your argument. You however are insisting that I should be considered a criminal for relaxing at the end of the day - you are trying to control other people.

Please stop trying to convince me drugs are good for you. I'm not going to change my beliefs you're just giving more reasons why I like them being illegal. Go write to the government instead. I cba now
Really - so what good reasons do you have for them being illegal?
Don't like drugs or want to take them - then don't. But I'm going to leave you with another quote to think about:
Here is my final point...About drugs, about alcohol, about pornography...What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, or take into my body as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet? And for those who are having a little moral dilemma in your head about how to answer that question, I'll answer it for you. NONE of your ****ing business.
n00
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hopefully I wont raise someone to be a druggy. Just as I'm sure you wont raise your children to be alcohol dependent.
You didn't answer the question.
RachelSophia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by n00)
You didn't answer the question.
Yes I did. I said hopefully I wont raise my child to be a druggy. Sooo they wont be arrested for consuming illegal substances.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (138)
61.88%
No I haven't decided yet (49)
21.97%
Yes but I might change my mind (36)
16.14%

Watched Threads