Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Clever people in the navy/armed forces...... is it really worth it?? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raptor)
    Normally, to have an air of arrogance about your person it's a good idea to actually be good at something or be in an elite institution etc. You don't actually appear to have these, or any similar traits to justify any form of arrogance.

Michael Schumacher is arrogant because he knows that he's the best racing driver ever. Red 1 is (probably) arrogant as he has arguably the best flying posting the entire of the UK armed forces.....

You are arrogant because you've been a rating in the RN......... hardly top stuff, eh?
    And have been a professional DJ for one of the top British DJ Agencies and the most successful British Hardcore record label ever. I think I have the right to be arrogant. What exactly have you done with your life, that's so amazing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djmarkmclachlan)
    And have been a professional DJ for one of the top British DJ Agencies and the most successful British Hardcore record label ever. I think I have the right to be arrogant. What exactly have you done with your life, that's so amazing?
    I'm not arguing whether I'm arrogant or not; I'm questioning your right to be arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    Ladies!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futureaussiecto)

Does anyone wishing to go into the armed forces (with particular attention to navy) as officers ever believe that they are over qualified and just wasting talent? I was looking at navy salaries and i would be expecting to earn 30k when i was atleast in my late twenties! This is what put me off going into the armed forces because i know i could start on that with a good degree at 21-23!
    Just to get this thread back on to the original question, no one has taken into account the benefit of the pension scheme. If I retire at my current rank at 50, I'll get a pension of about £23,000 as well as a tax free lump sum of £70,000 at current prices, linked to RPI from 55. Virtually no companies offer final salary pensions anymore, fewer still that can match the Armed Forces Pension Scheme. Go to an independent Financial Advisor and ask how much you'd have to contribute a month to match such a scheme. When they finish laughing at you, you'll probably get a quote of somewhere between 10 - 15,000 a year. I know for most of you retirement seems a lifetime away, but you need to consider it now and it'll take a huge wedge out of your take home pay.

JR
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    nd have been a professional DJ for one of the top British DJ Agencies and the most successful British Hardcore record label ever.
    I take it that wasn't while you were serving?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not arguing whether I'm arrogant or not; I'm questioning your right to be arrogant.
    That said, I do have the right.

(Original post by BlackHawk)
    I take it that wasn't while you were serving?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Listen you arrogant (Expletive deleted) one of the main thrusting point of this discussion is that arrogance is not a good thing. Arrogance wins you no friends or respect. you continue in this vein and you may become some ACE but none will like you, and you promotion will be crap if in all your reports you get labeld as overbearing and arroant. be confident if you feel you have the right to be. but be quietly confident in your abbilities not a (expletive delete).

Soap box dismounted.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be what I want to be, and you can like it or lump it. The thrusting point is, in your opinion, arrogance is a bad thing. As for arrogance winning me no friends, I have plenty. Infact, I'm more popular than most people will ever be - I have people queueing up to be my friend. I do feel I have the right to be, and am welcome to my own opinion. As you're welcome to yours, but you don't see me teeling you to shut up. Why quietly confident? A lot of very loud, arrogant people have become more successful than those who have not. I'll be as loud as I want. I'll be something I'm not for no-one.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Sorry to change tack slightly and to bring it back onto track, My own opinion on 'Clever people in the navy/armed forces...... is it really worth it??'

Regardless of whether you are in the Military, which ever service that may be... You will come across the clever and the dumb variety just the same as in civvy street.

The only difference being between being in the mob and CS is that when the idiot is above you in the mob it can get you killed.

To settle the monetary side of things, You WILL never get rich in the forces but you will go places and see things that others can only dream of.

If you are looking for money then my advice is to go into banking, if you are looking for adventure and making a load of good mates. Join up.

I don't know why but everyone continues to keep going on about a commission in the services.

If you have the right motivation in the RAF join up as a ground trade put the effort in! in the field of aircraft engineering get your experience. Then get your Civvy licenses and you could be looking at earning 50k a year!

ReputationRep:
    The very nature of arrogance is overbearing; thus it's negatively impacting. But fair play to you mate, fill your boots with your rediculous attitude. Old Pilots and Bold Pilots as it were.

Why does every meaninless argument on this forum have you in it's centre stage?

Let's just say that I'm glad you've picked the Navy - if you ever stray back to the idea of the RAF grow up first!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GR4pilot)
    The very nature of arrogance is overbearing; thus it's negatively impacting. But fair play to you mate, fill your boots with your rediculous attitude. Old Pilots and Bold Pilots as it were.

Let's just say that I'm glad you've picked the Navy - if you ever stray back to the idea of the RAF grow up first!
    He can't help it he's a jock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GR4pilot)

The very nature of arrogance, is that one doesn't worry about what others think. Otherwise, I'd be Mr. nice guy.

Because it's what I do, and do it well.

I picked the Navy long before I ever considered the RAF. I'm very grown up, simply don't care about your opinion of me.

(Original post by DPM)
    He can't help it he's a jock.
    Lol.

ReputationRep:
    [
    ]djmarkmclachlan I'll be what I want to be, and you can like it or lump it. The thrusting point is, in your opinion, arrogance is a bad thing. As for arrogance winning me no friends, I have plenty. Infact, I'm more popular than most people will ever be - I have people queueing up to be my friend. I do feel I have the right to be, and am welcome to my own opinion. As you're welcome to yours, but you don't see me teeling you to shut up. Why quietly confident? A lot of very loud, arrogant people have become more successful than those who have not. I'll be as loud as I want. I'll be something I'm not for no-one.[
    ]

I simply must quote something said by a colleague of a colleague about a remark written on the chap's F6000 (trades' annual appraisal) one year:

It followed a remark about said chap being over-confident and was followed up in interview by adding that some people might misconstrue his over-confidence as arrongance.

His reply?:

'He's only calling me arrogant because he's jealous that I'm better than him'

I think the irony of the statement was lost on him too!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I'll be what I want to be, and you can like it or lump it.
    Unfortunately, your instructors through officer training, and moreso flying training will not agree with that line. In a world where pilot is a massivly oversubscribed branch, and almost anything can get you chopped from FJ(especially in the Navy), I fear your instructors may find it a rather easy choice with that attitude.

ReputationRep:
    With all due respect mate, you don't have the feintest idea what you're talking about - how can you for an instant believe that you can decided on a definition of arrogance that does not concur with that of the dictionary. Without intending any offence blokes with PhD's in English Language wrote the definitions and someone currently working towards their A levels has not even the remotest authority to impose their own understanding on it.

I'm glad you don't care what I think, or others; it'll be great when you don't care what your QFI thinks or what your OC thinks! As I said Bold Pilots mate, you can't make Captain whe your dead from pigheaddedness. there're plenty of cases of types like you getting a nylon letdown (if they're lucky) for their attitude.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, I fear the DJ will not get anywhere near a commission. Afterall, it's hardly an activity fit for an officer is it... DJ'ing

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, I fear the DJ will not get anywhere near a commission. Afterall, it's hardly an activity fit for an officer is it... DJ'ing
    Well you never know, they let all sorts in now you know.

ReputationRep:
    My S3300c:

'McLachlan is a confident and intelligent rating and has met all requirements of him, both as a team member and leader. McLachlan is the right calibre of person for Service. His decision to leave is unfortunate but fully supported. McLachlan is recommended to re enter at a later date as a Naval Officer.'

Down the right, all those little boxes of required/ achieved, I achieved maximum in all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    Unfortunately, your instructors through officer training, and moreso flying training will not agree with that line. In a world where pilot is a massivly oversubscribed branch, and almost anything can get you chopped from FJ(especially in the Navy), I fear your instructors may find it a rather easy choice with that attitude.
    Here comes that whole big argument again, but who said I want FJ?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Comradrie is a very big thing in the forces. Even if you are a single seat mate, there are dozens of people who you need to get airborne. People from the linemen to ATC. No one can operate without the support of other people in other branches.

There is no room for arrogance, or people who wish to stand alone. There are plently of people who can take someone down a peg or two, and although some attitude would be excused amongst junior ranks, it most certainly wouldn't be with Officers. Officers are there to lead by example.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2006
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.