Chemistry
    26.28%
    Other
    13.84%

ReputationRep:
    I do Lit, Lang and History.

History is hard!

ReputationRep:
    I think Critical thinking is far harder than anything. Maybe i thought this because i did it on my own as an external candidate at another college and only entered for it a few days before the exam.

ReputationRep:
    apparently french is the hardest a level, and i agree completely!

ReputationRep:
    yeah i agree, french can be hard.. you just don't have a clue what your gunna get. i got a D in french listening st AS last year, then in Jan when i resat, it went up to a good A! I think the languages are hard because you can't really revise as you never know what vocab is gunna come up.

History can be pretty hard aswel - the questions themselves are like essays!

ReputationRep:
    why isnt english language on the list?

ReputationRep:
    Even if Maths and Further Maths were on the list, I would still vote for physics.
    Not many people take it just because its so hard, and apart from that, it is almost impossible to get an A in Physics (I dont know how I did it ;p )

ReputationRep:
    Any literature is difficult, all sciences are easy, maths easy, further maths easy, fine additional further maths is hard, that's about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelus129)
    Any literature is difficult, all sciences are easy, maths easy, further maths easy, fine additional further maths is hard, that's about it
    This post basically sums up the thread....

If you have a knack for maths and the sciences you're going to find them relatively easy, but might not be able to do languages, or say History, at all.

I wouldn't be able to get a decent grade in art or music, whereas I could in most other subjects, so for me they'd be the hardest.

Something which most people who take it struggle with that I know is chemistry, which is aparently very difficult. But the only way to find out what is actually the hardest would be to find out what subject fewest people got an A in (in relation to how many people did it obviously) but even then you have the issue of whether or not people who take it are less intelligent in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Definately Further Additional Maths.

ReputationRep:
    languages imo are by far the hardest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eth0)
    Even if Maths and Further Maths were on the list, I would still vote for physics.
    Not many people take it just because its so hard, and apart from that, it is almost impossible to get an A in Physics (I dont know how I did it ;p )
    I found Physics A-level to be quite a doss - a useful subject to learn, but a doss all the same. Maths/Further Maths A-levels are far more interesting and more challenging. I'd agree with many people who have said that arts subjects are usually more work, although not necessarily that they are harder. Languages are similar to Maths in that you usually have a natural knack for them or you don't - if you have natural ability, it's unlikely you'll find the A-level too strenuous. Essay-based subjects like literature and history can be easy or hard depending on the quality of the teaching - the problem I've always found with essay-based subjects in general is that it's difficult to distinguish yourself from the competition (but on the flip side, it's probably easier for the weaker students to bluff their way to a good grade).

Just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard a rumour going round, that no A-level subject can be defined as the most challenging. And it's quite obviously true, the most challenging A-level is purely dependent on the person. Perhaps the poll should have been 'What A-level subject do you find most Challenging?' ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelus129)
    There's actually very little jump in difficulty between F. Maths and Ad. F. Maths. It's just more time consuming. So by my logic, if Further Maths is easy, then Additional Further Maths is either still easy, or average difficulty (if Further Maths is at the far point of being easy) :p:
    I think the hardest A-level is probably Chemistry. You have to learn loads of reactions, and you have to understand every single thing in terms of electrons and polarity and God knows what else.

ReputationRep:
    What exactly are we meant to base our judgement on? Difficulty is so subjective in terms of personal achievement, as so many have said before in this thread some people find maths easy and essays hard, others are gifted with music but couldn't get their heads round chemistry etc etc. Its pretty much impossible to give one definite 'most difficult' subject i think...

Unless we're speaking in terms of getting grades, then you'd have to look at the grade thresholds i suppose...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henryt)
    I think the hardest A-level is probably Chemistry. You have to learn loads of reactions, and you have to understand every single thing in terms of electrons and polarity and God knows what else.
    If that's true, I suppose that's why I (of the most average intelligence) finds it quite easy, you learn everything in terms of polarity and electrons so it's bound to sink in some time in the two years you do it for.... organic is pretty easy too, it's all about patterns (and polarity and electrons), i hate the calculations side of it (pH values etc)... As i've said before, huge respect for anyone who does Music or Physics...

ReputationRep:
    No doubt chemistry is the hardest.

ReputationRep:
    in my sixth form (of about 70 people)

subjects with mostly A and B achieved were...
    art, textiles
    business, ICT
    drama, english lit
    geography, RS, psychology
    Maths, Further Maths, physics

mostly C, D, E and F
    Biology, chemistry
    design, music
    english language, french, german
    history, Sociology
    PE

However, I think this just reflects the differences in standards of teaching at my school. And the differences in people who choose certain subjects.

personally from my AS levels I found history the hardest to get a good grade because it was so damn boring.

ReputationRep:
    art, which isn't on there, THANKS!

ReputationRep:
    Arts tend to require more work before you actually take them, like with music you need to already play an instrument well and be able to do the theory, once you've got that, which you should have already than it's alright

ReputationRep:
    Personally I would say that of all my subjects French requires the least work and is probably the easiest - but then again all my other subjects are sciences, so I don't do as much work as I should in French. I would say that what makes Chemistry difficult is the jump between GCSE and AS. If GCSE Chemistry was more in depth, I don't think people would find A level as difficult.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.