Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

what would happen if people had a white or caucasian society at a university watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoenix_down)
    I never specifically quoted you as saying ANYTHING.. just giving a completely inaccurate impression of our country as a place where people are generally hostile to whites.
    I never said any such thing nor implied it.

Gross misrepresentation indeed.
    Absolutely. You have GROSSLY misinterpreted my post.

Read my post again. I never put any words in your mouth mate. :rolleyes:
    Oh really?

It's such a shame Lawz that you make our country sound like a place where you have to run and hide if you're white when that's clearly not the case.
    I never made such an implication

ReputationRep:
    If you ever intended to do any sort of indepth analysis of either topic, one is sure to come up in analysing the other. Don't try to deny that there is a link between the two.
    That's irrelevant.

The point is that it is not race, but economics that prevent access to tertiary education. That is what should be addressed. NOT given out on the basis of race, when there are whites who have it harder. THat is entirely inequitable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    You clearly havent read this thread properly.

BLACK isnt a culture either.

Again. Read the thread.

The cultures of white people.
    When did I EVER say that black was a culture? If YOU were to read the thead properly mate, you'd see I was rather surprised to hear about a Cambridge University Black Society simply because I find it rather ridiculous these notions of a 'White Society', 'Black Society', yellow, purple, blue or any other colour. Skin colour is not culture.

The cultures of white people... meaning? I get the feeling you're being terse because you yourself are having difficulty in trying to define it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laika)
    I said we agree that it would be unfair to discriminate on the grounds of race. Howard does not do this, yet time and time again you bring it up as an example.
    Actually I havent brought it up for over 4 pages or so wihtout doing so to make a response.

(Original post by Laika)
    It is open to all races, yet you continue to re-iterate that if the opposite scenario was true, it would be attacked. Yes it would, and THE OPPOSITE WAS TRUE when Howard was established.
    INdeed, And people see that as a historical inequity.

(Original post by Laika)
    There is noting discriminatory about Howard. Nothing. It cannot help its history in that it was opened when blacks had no access to education. American race history, the civil rights movement? A history you fail to consider (or address my posts on) time and time again, which conveniantly makes your argument look a lot stronger than it is.
    They make no attempts to diversify the student body. That would be attacked in an all white university.

Plus most of the frats there are all black in the way that the others I have poitned to are - Ie they specify they are for blacks.

(Original post by Laika)
    I have already addressed the UNCF countless times there's no point nit-picking over it even further.
    If you wish.

ReputationRep:
    When did I EVER say that black was a culture? If YOU were to read the thead properly mate, you'd see I was rather surprised to hear about a Cambridge University Black Society simply because I find it rather ridiculous these notions of a 'White Society', 'Black Society', yellow, purple, blue or any other colour. Skin colour is not culture.
    Oh FFS. Read this thread before you jump in feet first.

(Original post by Laika)
    The cultures of white people... meaning? I get the feeling you're being terse because you yourself are having difficulty in trying to define it.
    No because I cant be ****ed to list all of the attributes of white cultures for you. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Hah, look what I found:

http://www.ueastudent.com/campaigns/...ns/black/intro

Some of their aims are stupid.

Putting on bhangra, hip-hop, or African music/club nights;
    What has bhangra music got to do with black people?

Show Black films (there is a rich variety of Bollywood and African cinema or documentaries like Injustice)
    What has Bollywood got to do with black people?

Organise events for Black History Month
    Blacks always bleat on about Black History Month. Why should black people get Black History Month when Jews don't get Jewish History Month, Asians don't get Asian History Month, etc.?

No doubt the only way one can enter this organisation is to be black/non-white. I bet whites cannot join.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Oh FFS. Read this thread before you jump in feet first.

No because I cant be ****ed to list all of the attributes of white cultures for you. Sorry.
    FFS I have. But you seem to be the kind of person who is unwilling to seriously take heed of anybody's opinion which differs vastly from your own. How unfortunate. Can't be arsed to list all the attributes... that's all a load of trash as we both know. No apologies necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    That's irrelevant.

The point is that it is not race, but economics that prevent access to tertiary education. That is what should be addressed. NOT given out on the basis of race, when there are whites who have it harder. THat is entirely inequitable.
    Indeed, one things of the workhouse enviroment, and the poor laws, of this country, that were still running up until the second world war, and were only really replaced by the modern welfare state.

It's true to say they were at times appalling enviroments, as bad, or worse in many cases, as anything experianced by other races.

Another prime example are some of the Irish immigrants to America, fleeing famine in their homelands, and walking straight into oppression and prejudice in their new lands.

There are many rich, and comfortable people of nearly every race that have moved to this country, or other countries, and people of very poor, and oppressed backgrounds as well, including white people.

Economics is not something that has a soul, or conscience, and therefore it has not been a racist entity, although at times some that determine it's direction may have been racist.

Therefore assistance to people should be metered out in a similar way, based upon social circumstances, not on skin colour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atomik)
    Hah, look what I found:

Some of their aims are stupid.

What has bhangra music got to do with black people?

What has Bollywood got to do with black people?

Blacks always bleat on about Black History Month. Why should black people get Black History Month when Jews don't get Jewish History Month, Asians don't get Asian History Month, etc.?

No doubt the only way one can enter this organisation is to be black/non-white. I bet whites cannot join.
    Why don't you try joining, then report back to us?

ReputationRep:
    Can't be arsed to list all the attributes... that's all a load of trash as we both know. No apologies necessary.
    Why is it a load of *******s? White people don't have shared cultures? As far as I'm aware, Western cultures in general are all RELATIVELY similar - and the predominant race in the West is the white race.

Will you argue that there are no cultures linked to black people, then?

ReputationRep:
    FFS I have. But you seem to be the kind of person who is unwilling to seriously take heed of anybody's opinion which differs vastly from your own. How unfortunate.
    I have no problem with different opinions at all. I have a problem with people who make points that address points I have never made.

Either you havent read it or you havent understood it.

No apologies necessary.

Can't be arsed to list all the attributes... that's all a load of trash as we both know.
    Not at all. I could go through all the white cultures I could name and name their attributes.. but then I have better things to do. If you choose to conclude its because I cant give you some FRENCH cultural attributes - then fine .. good for you. But I think you are in denial.

No Apologies needed.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you try joining, then report back to us?
    I don't go to UEA.

ReputationRep:
    I don't go to UEA.
    I have a sister studying in Norwich, if it will settle an argument I will ask her to make enquiries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cluedo89)
    we see afro carribian societys we see asian societys at most universitys and i understand this can be because they are minoritys.

Yet if you even attempted to set up a society like a white beer drinking society or whatever, that you'd be accused of racism or seculusion and it would definatly be banned.

I sometimes feel their might be double standerds on the issue as well. the term community this and community that only leads to segeration.

what do you think
    Yes, there are double standards. It would be seen as having racist undertones to set up a caucasian society. That's rendered the previous umpteen pages of debate irrelevant, then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul Bedford)
    I have a sister studying in Norwich, if it will settle an argument I will ask her to make enquiries.
    I'd be curious as to whether they allowed white people to join, and whether they would allow white people to stand as candidates, etc. - which I doubt (the latter).

ReputationRep:
    Why is it a load of *******s? White people don't have shared cultures? As far as I'm aware, Western cultures in general are all RELATIVELY similar - and the predominant race in the West is the white race.

RELATIVELY similar in what way? This is what i want. Just give me a very clear definition of 'white culture'. One post. And no, 'the cultures of white people' will not suffice. Not exactly the kind of definition you would find in a dictionary now is it?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know of any universities with a specifically named 'White Society', 'Black Society', or Yellow, Blue , Gray (for those who can't really fall into any category) for that matter.

:hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha:

ReputationRep:
    I'd be curious as to whether they allowed white people to join, and whether they would allow white people to stand as candidates, etc. - which I doubt (the latter).
    Yes I would be curious as well. I think it's wrong to have a society at any university where a student would be denied membership based on skin colour, as like I've said countless times before, these societies should be about celebrating culture, not segregating on the basis of someone's appearance.

ReputationRep:
    I never said there are no cultures linked to black people... just that I don't see any sense in defining something as 'Black Culture' or 'White Culture'.

ReputationRep:
    I never said there are no cultures linked to black people... just that I don't see any sense in defining something as 'Black Culture' or 'White Culture'.
    What about black history?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.