Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mshar)
    Damn it! I still can't figure out how to get direct rendering to work . I have a ATI 9550 and AMD K7 architecture CPU.
    get the binary drivers from the ati site, tell it to make a deb package.

dpkg-install the outputed .deb

then its a matter of editing your xorg.conf to make it use the fglrx driver

i cant remember off the top of my head how to do that tho!

ReputationRep:
    What's the difference between getting the binary drivers and installing the drivers that are pre-compiled?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mshar)
    What's the difference between getting the binary drivers and installing the drivers that are pre-compiled?
    binary = pre compiled

no difference. except the ones from ati.com will be up to date

ReputationRep:
    I have one big problem . When I update my distro to testing, using apt-get dist-upgrade, I get an error saying I don't have enough space in the var directory! I gave the var directory 1gb of space as I was told it would be sufficient. What now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mshar)
    I have one big problem . When I update my distro to testing, using apt-get dist-upgrade, I get an error saying I don't have enough space in the var directory! I gave the var directory 1gb of space as I was told it would be sufficient. What now?
    Arch Linux's package manager, pacman, saves the packages it downloads in: /var/cache/pacman/pkg

Maybe there's something similar for Debian's apt. If so, deleting some of those packages will free space; obviously only delete files you know you don't need.

Also, why is /var on its own partition, I don't see the need tbh.

ReputationRep:
    /var/cache/apt/ contains all your downloaded packages.

You might want to use autoclean to clear extra space: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/archive/...p/t-58448.html

ReputationRep:
    or maybe its possible to unmount /var and use it as a subdirectory of / just like normal.... at least temporarily.... then remount it after the upgrade?

edit: thats never going to work, is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choad)
    or maybe its possible to unmount /var and use it as a subdirectory of / just like normal.... at least temporarily.... then remount it after the upgrade?

edit: thats never going to work, is it?
    it might if you remove the mount point of the /var partition

ReputationRep:
    OK, how do I use it as a subdirectory? I can unmount but how do I make it into a subdirectory?

ReputationRep:
    umount /var
    nano /etc/fstab (remove the entry for /var)

ummmm.... might as well try editing something in /var at this point .... just to see if you can!

got no idea rly.

try a reboot after that and it might work?

ReputationRep:
    My friend told me to do a symlink using LN. I haven't done many symlinks so he said he'll do it. Thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    One of Debians servers was hacked last night :O

Check it out at Slashdot/OSnews

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomX)
    One of Debians servers was hacked last night :O

Check it out at Slashdot/OSnews
    oh no! now the hackers have all the source code to debian!!!!

ReputationRep:
    *snigger*
    Does that make me a hacker? ^^

Wasn't it one of the main development servers? At worst they could have gotten some CVS passwords or something. Immaterial as Debian have hardware access and there are millions of backups of what's on that server ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choad)
    oh no! now the hackers have all the source code to debian!!!!
    LOL. Are you guys being serious? What difference does it make when Debian, just like other Linux distros, is open-source. Should I be worried lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mshar)
    LOL. Are you guys being serious? What difference does it make when Debian, just like other Linux distros, is open-source. Should I be worried lol.
    I never knew sarcasm tags were actually needed on the internet sometimes :O

<sarcasm>oh no! now the hackers have all the source code to debian!!!!</sarcasm>

Debian Stable... right :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomX)
    I never knew sarcasm tags were actually needed on the internet sometimes :O

<sarcasm>oh no! now the hackers have all the source code to debian!!!!</sarcasm>

Debian Stable... right :P
    Ummm. Are you still serious 'cos so far I still cant understand if you're being serious or sarcastic. Can you say in bold (and underlined) that you're not/being sarcastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mshar)
    Ummm. Are you still serious 'cos so far I still cant understand if you're being serious or sarcastic. Can you say in bold (and underlined) that you're not/being sarcastic.
    now i dont know if *you* are being sarcastic!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. Maybe if I put sarcastic smilies and try and make it a bit more obvious you'll understand.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't want to start a new thread so just found this was getting some dust...

Is it good to install debian on a laptop as a dual boot with win xp home or will it be better on its own? I want to know your opinions on both productivity and helpfulness for my course (i.e. which will help me more).

Thanks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 30, 2006
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.