Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anti-Americanism watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gideon2000uk)
    I see. Well we will have to simply disagree on this point then.

There is something special about Britain - and if you can't see it, it's your loss :p:
    Do you honestly think there is much difference at the "street" level? Does the average Joe really absord all those things you mentioned?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    And where to those $70-80 billion come from? A magic tree? A large chunk of that comes from corporate taxes. Sure, some individual firms might profit, but they don't exactly control 51% of the vote in the US and were hardly responsible for the decision to go to war in the first place. And as you mentioned, American companies (especially oil companies) would have made an absolute fortune if the US lifted sanctions on Iraq and Iran.

I know - but it certainly isn’t fatal to the argument that the war was to make a profit, that the US as a whole has made a loss.

Even if companies on aggregate are worse off due to higher taxes (although we haven’t seen any such thing quite yet), the ones (as the claim goes) with the ear of the president and the VP have an overall benefit notwithstanding potential or prospective fiscal losses.

What IS fatal to the argument (aside from the complete lack of proof), is that as said, those companies had far better financial options if the White House's scruples were indeed as malleable as these “I’m too savvy for them, so I assume everything is a conspiracy” crowd seems to claim.

ReputationRep:
    I see. Well we will have to simply disagree on this point then.

There is something special about Britain - and if you can't see it, it's your loss :p:
    Akin to a North Korean telling you that his country has a wonderful je n'sait qua that people just may not get.

ReputationRep:
    I've "visited" America from '93 until '05. And I've been "visiting" Britain for the last 7 months. Other than some additional pretty buildings, a weird road system, the level of alcoholism, and the level of reflexive anti-Americanism, I haven't seen much of a difference.
    That is rather sad then.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to understand what I'm talking about. George Orwell said it best in The Lion and The Unicorn:

http://whitewolf.newcastle.edu.au/wo...onunicorn.html

Just the start... It' quite a short read! Honest.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to understand what I'm talking about. George Orwell said it best in The Lion and The Unicorn:

http://whitewolf.newcastle.edu.au/wo...onunicorn.html

Just the start... It' quite a short read! Honest.
    The UK is pretty decent, but its a matter of preference... for a number of reasonins I an well understand why people would consider other countries to be far suprior.

This is a bit like having a debte over whether vanilla ice cream is better than chocolate.

ReputationRep:
    I've "visited" America from '93 until '05. And I've been "visiting" Britain for the last 7 months. Other than some additional pretty buildings, a weird road system, the level of alcoholism, and the level of reflexive anti-Americanism, I haven't seen much of a difference.
    lmao must have missed the fact that we have an NHS and don't let people carry guns...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersonic)
    lmao must have missed the fact that we have an NHS and don't let people carry guns...
    You must have missed the fact that nearly 90% of Americans are insured and a vast majority don't carry guns. Though you're right: the first thing I think about when trying to determine whether a person has similar interests to me is to see whether he has health insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, rates of gun crimes are at the lowest in the last two decades in most of the major US cities (especially New York).
    LowER still sadly means higher than any other industrialized country combined. For example, this year 19 children were killed due to gun violence in the UK, 57 in Germany, 109 in France and 5,285 in the USA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrissy909)
    LowER still sadly means higher than any other industrialized country combined. For example, this year 19 children were killed due to gun violence in the UK, 57 in Germany, 109 in France and 5,285 in the USA.
    Yeah but those are yank kids, so they dont count.

ReputationRep:
    You must have missed the fact that nearly 90% of Americans are insured and a vast majority don't carry guns. Though you're right: the first thing I think about when trying to determine whether a person has similar interests to me is to see whether he has health insurance.
    Actually it is 85% including those enrolled in medi-caid. So thats some 50million people who are left to attend to their own heart surgery and nurse their own ailments.

And it drops to only 70% enrolled in private medical insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Actually it is 85% including those enrolled in medi-caid. So thats some 50million people who are left to attend to their own heart surgery and nurse their own ailments.
    Once again, how exactly does show a different culture? Did Ireland magically gain a new culture when it went from being one of the poorest countries in Europe to one of the richest? Ditto for Britain.

And it drops to only 70% enrolled in private medical insurance.
    It drops to under 10% for Brits, so I don't see your point.

ReputationRep:
    5,285 in the USA.
    Jesus that's a pretty shocking figure. About 50 times higher than the UK rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Jesus that's a pretty shocking figure. About 50 times higher than the UK rate.
    I'd like to see a source on those numbers; I'm willing believe 5-10 times more, but not 50.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Yeah but those are yank kids, so they dont count.
    Mature.

ReputationRep:
    Once again, how exactly does show a different culture? Did Ireland magically gain a new culture when it went from being one of the poorest countries in Europe to one of the richest? Ditto for Britain.

It drops to under 10% for Brits, so I don't see your point.
    OMG. But remember the other 90% in Britain are covered by the NHS. The 15% of Americans without insurance have nothing. Don't you understand that simply point jesus... So there is a difference. The UK looks after the sick regardless of income...in the US if your not earning enough you recieve sub-standard health care and none at all depending on your illness. Don't you see the culture difference?

ReputationRep:
    OMG. But remember the other 90% in Britain are covered by the NHS. The 15% of Americans without insurance have nothing. Don't you understand that simply point jesus... So there is a difference. The UK looks after the sick regardless of income...in the US if your not earning enough you recieve sub-standard health care and none at all depending on your illness. Don't you see the culture difference?
    So why point out that 70% of Americans have private coverage? Is that somehow bad?

ReputationRep:
    Mature.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not generalizing here, but many Americans really do need a wake-up call. What I don't understand is that many Americans claim that "all Muslims are terrorists" and when someone says something back to them, they get offended. I know many Americans who are extremely nice and don't care where you're from. There are, however, some Americans in my school who won't talk to an arab because of where they're from. I agree that not all Americans are bad; however it's important for them to understand that America is not at the centre of the world.

"I appreciate that British people often don't understand why I have so much pride, they think it's brainwashing.
    Having pride to a point where you think that only Americans are correct and that only they know the answer is brainwashing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    many Americans claim that "all Muslims are terrorists"
    What is your basis for that claim?

(Original post by WokSz)
    I know many Americans who are extremely nice and don't care where you're from. There are, however, some Americans in my school who won't talk to an arab because of where they're from. I agree that not all Americans are bad; however it's important for them to understand that America is not at the centre of the world.
    Where do you go to school that you have a significant number of americans? Ahhh - Geneva... are you at boarding school - Geneva in the Summer Gstaad in the winter?

Ill agree that the US can be overly egocentric... the land of the free.. home of the brave...

My favorite is "the home of democracy" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

(Original post by WokSz)
    Having pride to a point where you think that only Americans are correct and that only they know the answer is brainwashing.
    I dont think she was saying that though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2008
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.