Most Overrated Films of all time? Watch

munchen102
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I watched Leon and thought it was good but no way should it have been in the top 30 imdb

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mister Cery
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tuerin)
1. 4-5/10 can still be an overrating.
2. There are other ways of rating a film than IMDB, which is likely to attract real film buffs who base their criticism not on Pattinson's cheek bones, - as some do, and as I've already outlined are entitled to - so it's not really an appropriate place to estimate how twilight is rated by everyone, as many of the people who rate it probably don't go there.
Dude, what you are saying then is basically that every single film is overrated because there is not a single film that has some people who like it. What the OP is asking is what films are generally rated very well - Twilight is certainly not a rated film. I have never opened a newspaper and seen it been given 5 stars. If we went along the lines of your definition then this thread would just be - "Worst films of all time".
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mister Cery)
Dude, what you are saying then is basically that every single film is overrated because there is not a single film that has some people who like it. What the OP is asking is what films are generally rated very well - Twilight is certainly not a rated film. I have never opened a newspaper and seen it been given 5 stars. If we went along the lines of your definition then this thread would just be - "Worst films of all time".
The Twilight saga has generated $3,337, 496, 722 across six films. That is evidence enough in itself that a very large number of people - hardly just 'some people' - think it worth their money successive times and rate it enough to spend collectively such a huge sum of money to be able to see it. It is the eighth highest grossing film franchise of all time, competing against some other sagas like James Bond with 24 films. No, it is not rated critically but is very much popularly. The OP did not ask us to exclusively consider films rated well by critics, so there is nothing wrong with nominating a film that is rated popularly.

I did not nominate Twilight, but see no reason for it not to be here. Yes, it is crap, and should not be rated well critically, but it is of huge popular appeal and so from that perspective is rated very highly.
Mister Cery
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

The Twilight saga has generated $3,337, 496, 722 across four films. That is evidence enough in itself that a very large number of people - hardly just 'some people' - think it worth their money successive times and rate it enough to spend collectively such a huge sum of money to be able to see it. No, it is not rated critically but is very much popularly. The OP did not ask us to exclusively consider films rated well by critics, so there is nothing wrong with nominating a film that is rated popularly.

I did not nominate Twilight, but see no reason for it not to be here. Yes, it is crap, and should not be rated well critically, but it is of huge popular appeal and so from that perspective is rated very highly.
Although I agree with you to a certain extent, I think nearly everyone here accepts twilight is rubbish so i don't see the point of writing it - much better that we choose movies which are critically rated in order for the thread to be interesting. Whilst what you are saying is technically true, common sense would suggest the OP is asking for films that have critical acclaim (seeing he mentioned academy awards)

Posted from TSR Mobile
YYY
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There are just so many that are overrated but the ones I can think of now are WALL-E, the godfather and Juno. One of the worst films I ever watching was the highly overrated 2001: a space odyssey. Aren't films meant to be entertaining? The novel was excellent; the film was dull as dishwater. I forced myself to watch it in the hopes that I may end up liking it, but no, it was awful.
Rainingshame
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TM94)
Every Harry Potter since Goblet of Fire.
Does that include goblet of fire, because if it does I agree.
Oschene23
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The King's Speech - I'm yet to meet a person who does not get quite angry at my claim that this is the most boring load of ****e I've had the ill-fortune to watch in my entire life. Inspirational storyline but hardly enough material to make the basis for a film, repetitive and dull at best.

Most Under-rated film on the other hand: The Pursuit of Happyness with Will Smith, absolute gold.
paddyman4
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
An overrated film is one that you feel is over-appreciated by people. That's all. However many people may see that Twilight is rubbish there will always be hordes of screaming girls to rival them; and however much you may dispute the foundations of their opinions, largely aesthetic, they are still entitled to appreciate films on any grounds they wish.
OK, I'll rephrase:

Some people here don't understand what the OP means by 'overrated'. If you read the OP, he is clearly talking about films which are widely respected and have reputations as good works of film - not films which are popular but not viewed, by most, as good pieces of film.

Obviously there is then a grey area, but Twilight is not respected by critics or by anyone who isn't a teenaged girl, so does not qualify. The OP wants us to talk about films which are widelt considered to be good works of film - not films which we feel are undeserving of commercial success. I think IMDB rating is a good rule of thumb.

Analogously, I wouldn't say that 'one direction' are overrated, despite their success, because most music-listeners think they're a joke; but I might say that Radiohead is overrated, because they are respected musicians who I think are boring. Or I wouldn't say that '50 Shades of Grey' is overrated, despite it's commercial success, because few respect it as a great piece of literature.
The_Notepad
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Bladerunner......It' ok at best, and it's suppose to be one of the greatest sci fi films ever made.
jones107
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
if it hasnt been said
ERAGON
lved the book as a kid, but the film was just useless!
FlyingTeapot
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Highlander. Still got no idea what they were going on about in that one. The flashbacks to the past was good, but the villain was too bizarre
feenicks89
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by paddyman4)
OK, I'll rephrase:

Some people here don't understand what the OP means by 'overrated'. If you read the OP, he is clearly talking about films which are widely respected and have reputations as good works of film - not films which are popular but not viewed, by most, as good pieces of film.

Obviously there is then a grey area, but Twilight is not respected by critics or by anyone who isn't a teenaged girl, so does not qualify. The OP wants us to talk about films which are widelt considered to be good works of film - not films which we feel are undeserving of commercial success. I think IMDB rating is a good rule of thumb.

Analogously, I wouldn't say that 'one direction' are overrated, despite their success, because most music-listeners think they're a joke; but I might say that Radiohead is overrated, because they are respected musicians who I think are boring. Or I wouldn't say that '50 Shades of Grey' is overrated, despite it's commercial success, because few respect it as a great piece of literature.
Thank you was getting quite confused with the random selection of apparently 'overrated films' and good example with the one direction thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
feenicks89
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Yellowiris)
Valentines Day
I wanted to walk out of the cinema was an absolute joke and to make matters worse it actually had a good cast but the film was terrible.
'Valentines Day'? A random rom-com from a few years ago... Overrated? What Newspapers and award ceremonies have people been watching?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
shanisbamf
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Pulp Fiction is one of the most overrated movies IN MY OPINION. The only reason why it is famous is because it was something new at THAT TIME WHEN IT CAME OUT. Back then, movies weren't as cult(humour with death and random dialogues) and it caught people OFF guard; we have loads of that nowadays.

The movie also had an ensemble of well known actors, something rare back then. I have to admit SOME dialogues were pretty interesting but i felt like it was either a hit or miss when it came to drawing people's attention.

I find the notion of this movie's legacy, being one of the best of all time, a MEME which people succumb to.
Yellowiris
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by feenicks89)
'Valentines Day'? A random rom-com from a few years ago... Overrated? What Newspapers and award ceremonies have people been watching?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol No I didn't mean it in the sense of Awards I meant all the hype on all the "A list" stars that were in it and it didn't live up the the hype. Thats what I meany
jacobthehobnob
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I keep seeing Tarantino popping up on here and am more than willing to defend him. I think much (not all) of the perception that Pulp Fiction is overrated stems from the breadth of discussion that the film created when it first came out. It was one of the first films to be widely debated on forums like this one, with those who disliked it usually being ****ged off by legions of committed fans. I'd honestly heard and read half of Pulp Fiction quoted in various places before I'd even seen it. Inevitably, when something is repeated too much, it's easy to get tired of it. I still love the film after having seen it four times, I love its music, pop references and camerawork, but certain lines of dialogue no longer impress or shock me in the same way.

Also consider the director's influence on other filmmakers. Virtually every hard-edged nineties thriller takes some debt from him, so much so that 'Tarantinoesque' has been recently inducted into the Collins English Dictionary. The witty dialogue and outbursts of violence that back then seemed so revolutionary now seem kind of generic and cliched, as other users have pointed out. For my money, the prize for overrated movies goes to Guy Ritchie's early stuff - whatever you say about his style, he still is in the shadow of Tarantino.

I'm not saying he hasn't made creative mistakes (I dislike the whole 'Grindhouse' section of his career) but I think that movies like Pulp Fiction, which turns 19 this year, can grow old very quickly amongst the immense discussion and imitation they provoke. It's worth watching it in context, I think.
FlyingTeapot
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I see it as more of a problem with marketing than the movies themselves. A lot of these films are pretty decent, but of course the company that owns it wants to make as much money from it in the box office as possible. So they make all the trailers and marketing along the lines of 'IT WILL BLOW YOUR MIIIIINNNDDD!!!!!', and our expectations get raised too high and then we feel disappointed when the film turns out to be solid but our minds are not blown. If they'd been more honest about the content of the film then maybe we'd find it easier to appreciate it for what it was.
TheKingoftheJews
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Avengers Assemble

Biggest load of tripe I've ever watched yet it's praised to the moon and back.
TheKingoftheJews
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 2ndClass)
The Batman Trilogy, load of crap tbh.
I agree entirely, Nolan didn't do it well at all and I do not understand why everyone just laps it up. If you're wanting to watch a recent GOOD
Batman movie check out The Dark Knight Returns.
technoo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I prefer the Spiderman cartoon eps to the original movies (not seen the ones with Garfield)

No hate to the movies themselves
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (142)
17.95%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
26.93%
Not great so far... (283)
35.78%
I want to drop out! (153)
19.34%

Watched Threads