Do you atheists ever feel empty? Watch

RunningInHeels
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It seems a little off that we spend an infinite amount of time in an afterlife based on a few short years on earth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
garfeeled
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Yasmin54)
Hmmm interesting, so this is as good as it gets???
unless you make it better, or someone else does.
Kaiser MacCleg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by pg_maths)
yes I do. Come on, you're not kidding me here. When it suits atheists they argue as agnostics. Atheism is clearly not a defensible position.
What is your definition of the two and what leads you to draw this false distinction between them?
pg_maths
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
no you do not... do not let stubbornness impact your argument, i am an agnostic and an atheist whether you acknowledge it or not... google the damn thing...

where did the bold come from and prove it... do not confuse your opinions with fact...
I think even the famous Dawkins was reduced to admitting he was an agnostic not an atheist one time.
Yasmin54
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by garfeeled)
unless you make it better, or someone else does.
Think we/I have the ability??
pg_maths
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kaiser MacCleg)
What is your definition of the two and what leads you to draw this false distinction between them?
Get the dictionary definitions.
RunningInHeels
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think even the famous Dawkins was reduced to admitting he was an agnostic not an atheist one time.
He must have had the "God gene."

Posted from TSR Mobile
garfeeled
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Think we/I have the ability??
yes, why would i think other wise. Look at people like martin luther king and alan turing. Humanity has the potential for great things.
Dmon1Unlimited
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
not all atheists are agnostics... whatever someone elses views are is irrelevant... the point is you can be agnostic and an atheist...

i find it to be a piss take that you say "reduced"... there is nothing wrong with agnosticism...it is the most appropriate view given there is not real evidence that directly proves/disproves god...
pg_maths
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
not all atheists are agnostics... whatever someone elses views are is irrelevant... the point is you can be agnostic and an atheist...
oh come on, that's just nonsense, why do people have such a problem admitting the category they are really in nowadays, everyone wants to spread their bets, it's silly !
Anthromorphial
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I really don't think about death. I don't know what lies beyond it so I don't bother to think about it. Maybe I'll find out when the time comes, maybe there's nothing after it and I won't find out.

My personal theory is that our consciousness is just reborn again into a new being, but I have no idea how that'd work in the perspective of time and space.
Chris-69
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SummitOfReason)
Do you ever think that if you are going to accept life and death for face value and come to terms with the harsh realities of life without seeking further meaning, as an atheist does, that you have to numb your emotions slightly?

For me I'm a really emotional person but smart enough to know that God probably doesn't exist. Being emotional I find it hard to come to terms with the harsh realities of life; realities which the religious have ready made answers for.

I have a zest for life and lots of dreams. I hate the thought of death putting an end to that and I hate the thought of it putting an end to my loved ones... the only comforting solution in the face of death seems to be to look for God. Otherwise it's hard to deal with.

Am I alone in feeling this way? How do you atheists deal with this stuff?

EDIT: Perhaps I didn't make this initially clear but what I was particularly wondering about today is how atheists cope with death. Yes, it is a long way off for most of us on here, but could you offer any perspectives about how you deal with the death of a loved one or the fact you will die having not done things you could have?
Part of me wishes I was a theist and wish I could believe in God but as has been explained many times, it's all about faith: something based on spirituality and not factual evidence. That's why my mind won't allow me to accept it.

I can imagine many atheists denying it for the simple fact they'd never like to give theists any satisfaction but the idea of dying and your conscious living on in a place of peace is my more comforting than believing that you're whole being and conscious just disappears...

I cope by not thinking about it.
Yasmin54
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
yes, why would i think other wise. Look at people like martin luther king and alan turing. Humanity has the potential for great things.
I agree, but to what extent?? Everything cannot be changed by humanity,?
Kaiser MacCleg
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Get the dictionary definitions.
Can't you do your own googling? I've already given you the definitions for beliefand knowledge. :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

Of course, the common understanding of the word "agnostic" is different to its usage amongst those who have the slightest acquaintance with epistemology, so I'm sure you'll be able to come up with definitions of your own that state agnosticism is all about being a 50/50 fence sitter.
AK.tsr
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
yes, atheists do feel empty.

they are just afraid to admit it!
Dmon1Unlimited
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
oh come on, that's just nonsense, why do people have such a problem admitting the category they are really in nowadays, everyone wants to spread their bets, it's silly !
ignorance is not an attractive trait mate...

if you are trolling then gtfo of tsr... if youre actually being serious, then still gtfo but come back after googling what it means...

its not the same thing as believing a unicorn exists... what part of that other guys post dont you understand?
garfeeled
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I agree, but to what extent?? Everything cannot be changed by humanity,?
we have limits yes. But every form have philosophy has the same issue, leaving it to a higher power is useless.
Kaiser MacCleg
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've got no problem with "admitting" which "category" I'm in. I'm an agnostic atheist. You're a gnostic theist. It's very easy - you try.
james22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
yes I do. Come on, you're not kidding me here. When it suits atheists they argue as agnostics. Atheism is clearly not a defensible position.
Athiesm is generally not the beleif in no god, it is the lack of belief in god. The former is undefendable, the latter is perfectly reasonable. It's the same as my lack of belief in a teapot orbiting the earth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athiesm
Yasmin54
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
we have limits yes. But every form have philosophy has the same issue, leaving it to a higher power is useless.
'Useless' seems a bit harsh, and as you say we have limits, what about things that exceed those limits??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.09%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.79%

Watched Threads