Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Siesta)
    No, I'm not saying these events are good. To be 'great' you don't necessarily have to be 'good'. (...)
    If so, then there are another names who cross my mind: Napoleon and Julius Caesar, the greatest warlords in my opinion. But I stick to it: I just consider humans whose considerations/discoveries/inventions were useful for society. In my point of view warlords don't belong to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisG123)
    First off, how do you know that? Please don't cite the bible as your source because it proves nothing.

Secondly, as I said, people don't follow Jesus, they follow Christianity. Without Jesus there would be no Christian religion so his legacy is Christianity which has been far from perfect in the last 2000 years

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh ffs, are you implying Jesus preached murder? If so, then provide sources to back up your statement. If you dont have any then your point is invalid Im afraid.

Nothing youve said has changed my first point in this thread about Jesus' influence. And im not Christian by the way.

ReputationRep:
    Tesla

ReputationRep:
    Me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeonVII)
    Oh ffs, are you implying Jesus preached murder? If so, then provide sources to back up your statement. If you dont have any then your point is invalid Im afraid.

Nothing youve said has changed my first point in this thread about Jesus' influence. And im not Christian by the way.
    Where did I say Jesus preached murder? I said that people who use religion may actually have the correct interpretation, no one knows.

Well by that reckoning Hitler and Stalin had massive influences, are they second and third? Someone's influence does not make them a great person

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It simply HAS to be George W Bush, followed (almost intimately) by no other than Sir Royal Highness, TONY BLAIR! Blair + Bush = :love:

ReputationRep:
    Muhammad.

Well, yes, I am Muslim, but here's the thing:

I don't think Muhammad's the greatest of all men simply because I'm muslim.
    Rather, I am Muslim because I think Muhammad is the greatest of all men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MW24595)
    Muhammad.

Why?

Some elaboration of why you think Muhammad is the greatest person in history would be nice.

ReputationRep:
    Tim-Berners Lee.

The internet has started an industrial revolution far bigger than the first and changed the planet incomprehensibly.

ReputationRep:
    Where did I say Jesus preached murder? I said that people who use religion may actually have the correct interpretation, no one knows.

Well by that reckoning Hitler and Stalin had massive influences, are they second and third? Someone's influence does not make them a great person

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your previous post implied that it's very well possible that Jesus could have preached murder. This is clearly untrue. Had he preached something as shocking as that it would definitely have been documented and accounts would have spread around the middle east and possibly Europe like wildfire, not to mention that it would also go against pretty much all of his other teachings. There are no such accounts.

Secondly, my original post said nothing about making them a great person....Jesus has impacted the world in a much more substantial way that Hitler and Stalin did.

ReputationRep:
    Your previous post implied that it's very well possible that Jesus could have preached murder. This is clearly untrue. Had he preached something as shocking as that it would definitely have been documented and accounts would have spread around the middle east and possibly Europe like wildfire, not to mention that it would also go against pretty much all of his other teachings. There are no such accounts.
    I didn't at all imply that he preached murder, I simply said there's no way to know who's interpretation of religion is correct.

Secondly, my original post said nothing about making them a great person....Jesus has impacted the world in a much more substantial way that Hitler and Stalin did.
    Again I didn't say that there impact was as substantial, in fact I said they were behind Jesus. I used them as an example to show that having an impact in no way demonstrates how a great a person is

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cnuofesd)
    Tim-Berners Lee.

The internet has started an industrial revolution far bigger than the first and changed the planet incomprehensibly.
    Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web, not the Internet. No?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Jesus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MW24595)
    Muhammad.

:') i think so too....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didn't at all imply that he preached murder, I simply said there's no way to know who's interpretation of religion is correct.

Again I didn't say that there impact was as substantial, in fact I said they were behind Jesus. I used them as an example to show that having an impact in no way demonstrates how a great a person is

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But, in the case of Jesus, the impact has (generally) been a good one. Not only has Jesus had more impact on the world that Hitler or Stalin, I believe that many people's lives have been made the better for His existence, in contrast to Hitler and Stalin.

Obviously, Christianity's history hasn't been rosy- no single religion or idea has had a perfect history. But Jesus and His message have inspired people to fight injustice throughout the centuries, even when it was other Christians propagating the injustice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navarre)
    But, in the case of Jesus, the impact has (generally) been a good one. Not only has Jesus had more impact on the world that Hitler or Stalin, I believe that many people's lives have been made the better for His existence, in contrast to Hitler and Stalin.

Obviously, Christianity's history hasn't been rosy- no single religion or idea has had a perfect history. But Jesus and His message have inspired people to fight injustice throughout the centuries, even when it was other Christians propagating the injustice.
    Jedism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrow.7)
    Jedism?
    It's related to the prequel trilogy... nuff said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navarre)

But what about people who's impact as has been entirely good? If you aren't Christian why did you write his with a capital 'h'?

I think you're taking a lot away from people who are Christian and have done great things. In most cases I would say they didn't do things for religion but because they were great people

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bob Dylan- prior to 1965

ReputationRep:
    But what about people who's impact as has been entirely good? If you aren't Christian why did you write his with a capital 'h'?

I think you're taking a lot away from people who are Christian and have done great things. In most cases I would say they didn't do things for religion but because they were great people

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am a Christian though.

I would say that many people have done good things because they are both a good person and they take inspiration from a religious/historical figure. The figure doesn't have to be religious, it's just that in the case of Jesus, He has inspired far greater numbers of people than anyone else.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.