The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS 4 - Corporate Culture Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
hows everone's revision going. Im just going over examples. Hope to start exam practice on Tuesday!
Original post by Superunknown17
Something like 'Is culture integral to the success of a business?' and then say yes, and why with examples, eg at Google or whatever and then the other side by saying no, why and with examples eg Barclays.

You could use any business but because Barclays had a culture of short term profits and bonuses, not long term sustainability and the LIBOR scandal was a result of this. This is why under Antony Jenkins' leadership, he is trying to fundamentally change the culture at Barclays. Whether he does, is a different matter.
Original post by james2557
Can somebody list the main theories we should learn for section A? I know theres Handy and Schien but what are the others?

!! I SECOND THIS I HAVE NEVER EVEN HEARD OF HANDY AND SCHIEN WE HAVENT GONE THROUGH THEORIES AT MY SCHOOL I DIDNT EVEN REALISE WE HAD TO! PLEASE SOMEONE MAKE A LIST OF THE THEORIES THERE ARE! I thought there was only like theory y and theory x. what a fool i was.
Reply 163
hii guys, I just want to know if I am on the right path and if there is something I am missing out. so here it goes.

for Section A culture.

bullet point one:
founders: Richard Brandson ( he is a risk take so this have lead to the culture of the business ...... don't know what to say next help!)
Bill gate ( he is creative which as lead to the culture of the business being innovative culture ( any thing else to say?./?)
Steve Jobs ( he his creative as well which as lead to the culture being innovative culture

leadership: Steve Jobs autocratic leadership style as lead to the business success as he is also the founder( anything else to add?)
Antony Jenkins: has influence the culture of the business as the old culture lead to bad reputation of the business(is this right or wrong?)
Willie Walsh (autocratic leadership don't know wat to say

mission/vision don't know

type of ownership don't know

bullet point two

don't know only Got kraft and Cadbury and the culture change as lead to staff delivery poor performance

bullet point 3

Kodak??? don't know what to say

bullet point 4
don't know buh I think Barclays as he consult the employees

bullet point 5

don't really know tbh

CAN SOMEONE PLS HELP ME! NEED A FULL DETAILS ABOUT THIS BUSINESS AND HOW THEY LINK TO THE BULLET POINT AND CAN SOMEONE ELABORATE MORE ON MY POINT. BASCAILLY I WANT TO USE Tesco, Barclays, Apple, Nokia, Royal mail and HSBC and M&S BUH I DONT KNOW HOW THEY RELATE TO THE BULLET POINT AND FOR SECTION B AS WELLL! I REALLY NEED HELP!!!
God Bless
Reply 164
Original post by Superunknown17
You could use any business but because Barclays had a culture of short term profits and bonuses, not long term sustainability and the LIBOR scandal was a result of this. This is why under Antony Jenkins' leadership, he is trying to fundamentally change the culture at Barclays. Whether he does, is a different matter.

thank you I get it now. did Nokia and Samsung change their culture?:s-smilie:
Reply 165
Original post by OEAFAS

Nokia have since Stephen Elop went there but before they were complacent and samsung I think did (need to look over that) towards a more innovative culture
Reply 166
Hi guys. I've been wondering whether you'll be able to have a quick look at the companies I decided to use and tell me what you think. My main problem with this unit is that there are SO MANY potential businesses to research and I'm a perfectionist and I really struggle to make my mind up about the examples. So here are my examples:

Amazon/Zappos - strong, powerful culture providing benefits for the companies
Apple + Google - innovative cultures on top of their game because of the rapidly growing market
Southwest Airlines - strong employee-centric culture
Nokia - chaning the culture
Enron - toxic culture leading to collapse
Royal Mail - reorganising the business due to recent problems
Barclays - bonus culture
John Lewis - strong bonus culture, compare to Barclays

Perhaps I'll also include Yahoo as a bad example to contrast with Google and Amazon.
Original post by OEAFAS

Erm I'm not sure, sorry, I didn't research those two :s-smilie:
Reply 168
Original post by yaboy
Nokia have since Stephen Elop went there but before they were complacent and samsung I think did (need to look over that) towards a more innovative culture

ok so those that mean I can say no and use Nokia and Samsung as well?
Original post by CubePL
Hi guys. I've been wondering whether you'll be able to have a quick look at the companies I decided to use and tell me what you think. My main problem with this unit is that there are SO MANY potential businesses to research and I'm a perfectionist and I really struggle to make my mind up about the examples. So here are my examples:

Amazon/Zappos - strong, powerful culture providing benefits for the companies
Apple + Google - innovative cultures on top of their game because of the rapidly growing market
Southwest Airlines - strong employee-centric culture
Nokia - chaning the culture
Enron - toxic culture leading to collapse
Royal Mail - reorganising the business due to recent problems
Barclays - bonus culture
John Lewis - strong bonus culture, compare to Barclays

Perhaps I'll also include Yahoo as a bad example to contrast with Google and Amazon.

Pretty good. You could also use Kodak to compare agaisnt google. Kodak's complacent and non-innovative culture= bankrupt. Googles innovative culture = successful.

You could also research the NHS scandal which caused 1200 deaths. They had a toxic subculture also.

Im trying not to do too many companies so that i can remember more relevant facts/figures on the day. But everyone is different, so do what is best for you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 170
Original post by OEAFAS
ok so those that mean I can say no and use Nokia and Samsung as well?

yeh why not???

Nokia is an example of a business that has failed because of its culture and samsung is an example of one that is doing well (debatable)
Reply 171
Original post by Infamous12
Pretty good. You could also use Kodak to compare agaisnt google. Kodak's complacent and non-innovative culture= bankrupt. Googles innovative culture = successful.

You could also research the NHS scandal which caused 1200 deaths. They had a toxic subculture also.

Im trying not to do too many companies so that i cant remember more relevant facts/figures on the day. But everyone is different, so do what is best for you.

Thanks for the feedback. If I can ask, how many companies are you using?
Original post by CubePL
Thanks for the feedback. If I can ask, how many companies are you using?

Well, i told myself a maximum of 4 but i have ended up with like about 6 or 7 haha.
Reply 173
Original post by Infamous12
Well, i told myself a maximum of 4 but i have ended up with like about 6 or 7 haha.

What businesses are they may i ask?
Reply 174
Do we have to have a set amount of businesses? Or can we use a wide variety? Also, does everyone get how to structure these responses? Because I don't have a clue.
There's no limitations to how many you use. My answers tend to involve 3 businesses, and I've learned about 7.Those 7 businesses cover most of the syllabus and the bullet points :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 176
[INDENT] can someone please put up their Research note? need to see how ppl are doing this research cos I am confuse! [/INDENT]
Reply 177
People what do we look for in companies not related to culture for the other section?
Reply 178
How many points/paragraphs are people making in section A? My teacher told me to make 3 points, 2 for and 1 against or the other way around, using an example company in each point. Will this be able to get full marks??
Original post by james2557
How many points/paragraphs are people making in section A? My teacher told me to make 3 points, 2 for and 1 against or the other way around, using an example company in each point. Will this be able to get full marks??

thats enough, although if I get time I might do 2 for 2 against. and in each paragraph try use 2 examples not 1.
these wont make you get full marks, its all about how you analyse each point in depth and evaluate throughout.

Quick Reply

Latest