Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would you do if your children are homosexual Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is this really a question? FFS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezekiella)
    I'm strongly religious but I would have absolutely no problem with that - being religious does not have to equal being prejudiced.
    I'm guessing some sort of Abrahamic religion. Just out of curiosity, how can you call yourself "insert abrahamic religion" and not hate homosexuals? I mean it's quite clearly stated in all of the books that homosexuality is to be hated.

ReputationRep:
    I'm strongly religious but I would have absolutely no problem with that - being religious does not have to equal being prejudiced.
    Me too, I'm a Christian and the one thing that would worry me about having a gay child is that I'd be worried about the prejudice they might suffer and if they would get bullied at school. I guess it would bother me a bit that I would want grandchildren but gay couples can always adopt, as long as they were happy I don't think you have anything to complain about

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skumgummi)
    I'm guessing some sort of Abrahamic religion. Just out of curiosity, how can you call yourself "insert abrahamic religion" and not hate homosexuals? I mean it's quite clearly stated in all of the books that homosexuality is to be hated.
    Christian and very liberal. I read the Bible and stuff but don't take all of it literally, I think (without offending anyone) that that's fairly stupid. I have various reasons (which I won't argue about here) to believe in God and all that, but I draw the line at arguing "there must be a God, ergo I must follow his book to the letter even if it means doing something clearly harmful and hateful".

ReputationRep:
    Homosexuality is to be hated. That doesn't mean the homosexuals themselves are to be hated, techniquelly there is nothing wrong with being gay as long as you don't have sex (i know unlikely) because sodemy is a sin, but it's also a sin for heterosexual couples to do this. Same way as its just as bad to have sex outside of marriage for all people of any orientation, people think that religious people victimise gays and I think you'll find the people who are really religious, that genuinely feel god in their hearts, would tell you that they love their children no matter who they are.

We are all sinners, it is not for me to judge another's sin, so no, religious people don't hate gays

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ill add to that

Yes some religious people hate gays
    But they hate gays not because they're religious but because they're absolute ignorant idiots who are hiding behind to bible to excuse their pathetic judgemental opinions. It's a shame they give Christians a bad name

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1. It's homoeroticism.
    2. I'd do the same things I'd do if my children were heterosexual.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly?

The same if they were left handed. Bit unusual from the norm. meh .

ReputationRep:
    I'd disown them straight away. This is not because i'm a homophobe but because my religion isn't tolerant of homophobic people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    Yes, I said most children will have somewhat similar interests, yet I like the idea of sharing very similar interests. There is no contradiction there and unless you have some way to prove that the chances are slim, aside from anecdotal evidence, then please do tell.
    And I was pointing out to you that the chances of sharing very similar interests are slim. I never claimed there was a contradiction, I am merely worried that perhaps you should have a reality check before you consider procreating. If you will be disappointed because your child is not very similar to you in your interests, then you should reconsider whether having children is the right thing for you, as the chances are that their interests will not be very similar to yours.

One of the reasons I have no plans to have children is because I accept this fact- I know that I would have difficulties relating to a child who didn't match my expectations of what I want them to be. As such, better not to have a child in the first place to avoid the risk.

ReputationRep:
    i would beat my children and fix them straight...no pun intended

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study beats)
    i would beat my children and fix them straight...no pun intended
    This has already been said :pierre:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Christian and very liberal. I read the Bible and stuff but don't take all of it literally, I think (without offending anyone) that that's fairly stupid. I have various reasons (which I won't argue about here) to believe in God and all that, but I draw the line at arguing "there must be a God, ergo I must follow his book to the letter even if it means doing something clearly harmful and hateful".
    But that's like a Nazi saying "I'm a Nazi, but I have no problems with Jews" Obviously not comparing Christians to Nazis here, but isn't it kind of strange to believe there is an all knowing god, but then also believe that he is wrong in some of the things he says?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by standreams)
    And I was pointing out to you that the chances of sharing very similar interests are slim. I never claimed there was a contradiction, I am merely worried that perhaps you should have a reality check before you consider procreating. If you will be disappointed because your child is not very similar to you in your interests, then you should reconsider whether having children is the right thing for you, as the chances are that their interests will not be very similar to yours.
    Again, where is the evidence for this claim? You've just repeated yourself. Do you have statistics of genetic traits and personal interests of my family tree? Please post it up, I would be most interested to read it. From my experience, we all have very similar interests from father to son, and therefore I will predict and hope the same for my son.

Being quietly disappointed that you don't have similar interests as your children is not a basis to reconsider having children - what an absurd line of thought! Stop being so dramatic; it is natural to want similar interests as your children. If my son loved playing football and took an interest in politics, I'd be over the moon, and I hope he does. If not, no big deal, I'm sure I'll learn a lot from his different interests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipoop)
    This has already been said :pierre:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ah damn it

ReputationRep:
    But that's like a Nazi saying "I'm a Nazi, but I have no problems with Jews" Obviously not comparing Christians to Nazis here, but isn't it kind of strange to believe there is an all knowing god, but then also believe that he is wrong in some of the things he says?
    I don't really get the analogy - I don't interpret the Bible literally (it would be impossible to anyway - there are contradictions). It makes no direct claim to be inerrant or infallible, so I personally don't take it as an exact rulebook from God as to how to live my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    It's like asking, "what would you do if your children have brown hair?"
    It is not as simple as that at all. Having a hair color plays minimal effect on ones life. Its also totally genetic. Homosexuality is not genetic , or hardwired. There is no Gay gene, and there is no evidence of there being genes making one Gay. There is only speculation about it, and due to the subjective nature of sexuality, it's been concluded that it is evidently not hard-wired.
    Finally, the whole purpose one reproduces is to pass on their genes. If we look at this all dispassionately, your entire body is designed to ensure your survival and that you reproduce so your genes can survive through your children. Homosexuality means that your children will not have kids. If they decide to have them. Only one of the parents will be the mother or father – and I don’t even need to specify the social and psychological effects on the child.
    Furthermore, it goes against what your child is designed to do, from the hormones in their body to their organs.
    In addition, there are social effects as well. For instance , HIV travels the quickest in homosexual men(won’t apply to daughters though). There are many people and many societies who look down on this practice, and it can effect their jobs, friendships, life ect – NOT that I say it is right that it does, but I am just stating what may occur.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    Again, where is the evidence for this claim? You've just repeated yourself. Do you have statistics of genetic traits and personal interests of my family tree? Please post it up, I would be most interested to read it. From my experience, we all have very similar interests from father to son, and therefore I will predict and hope the same for my son.

Being quietly disappointed that you don't have similar interests as your children is not a basis to reconsider having children - what an absurd line of thought! Stop being so dramatic; it is natural to want similar interests as your children. If my son loved playing football and took an interest in politics, I'd be over the moon, and I hope he does. If not, no big deal, I'm sure I'll learn a lot from his different interests.
    I have absolutely no interest in your family tree, but unless your family are somehow a separate subset of the human race, I see no reason why you should presume that any child of yours would naturally be very similar to you in his/her interests. My experience shows that very few children have very similar interests to their parents. Presumably, you would also want a partner with very similar interests to you, to ensure this is the case? Would you be 'disappointed' if your child shared their mother's interests rather than your own?

I don't think many people care either way whether their hypothetical future child has similar interests to them- a good parent will expose their offspring to a range of different things and let the child choose for themselves what interests them. A good parent would obviously also try to share in their child's interests, whatever those might be, as well as letting them have their own individual quirks, interests and hobbies.

ReputationRep:
    Holy ****, you're a thick one aren't you? I'm just saying, it would be preferable to have a straight child, not because I have anything against homosexuals, but because being gay is difficult for many reasons. One of those being children.

How can it be rude of me to expect that my balls produce sperm that later are part of making my child, and said childs balls or eggs get the job done 30-40 years down the line...?
    According to science, that is the purpose of your genital organs. Why do you have sex to begin with? To procreate, to have a child who thus enables the survival of your genes. It seem surprising people are condemning you for the most basic desire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by standreams)
    I have absolutely no interest in your family tree, but unless your family are somehow a separate subset of the human race, I see no reason why you should presume that any child of yours would naturally be very similar to you in his/her interests. My experience shows that very few children have very similar interests to their parents. Presumably, you would also want a partner with very similar interests to you, to ensure this is the case? Would you be 'disappointed' if your child shared their mother's interests rather than your own?

I don't think many people care either way whether their hypothetical future child has similar interests to them- a good parent will expose their offspring to a range of different things and let the child choose for themselves what interests them. A good parent would obviously also try to share in their child's interests, whatever those might be, as well as letting them have their own individual quirks, interests and hobbies.
    Choosing ones sexuality has ethical, moral, social, religious and a wide variety of other effects on the child and the entire family. To begin with, one becomes gay - they are not born it. They are born with the organs and hormones to court and mate with the opposite sex. If your child loses a leg, would one rejoice , or try and support the child and allow the function of their leg to return? If nature has designed a man to mate with a woman, but someone decides to go against this basic function and mate with men , is that not a deviance of what they have naturally been designed to do ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.