The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University Foundation Course 2013

Scroll to see replies

Hi has anyone received an email now stating we don't have to send in our previous education certificates?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Emre944
If it's a foundation programme with direct progression you should be able to progress to your selected undergraduate programme upon successful completion of the foundation year which if I remember correctly is achieving %50 overall mark. You should be able to find subject specific requirements here: https://www.dur.ac.uk/foundation.centre/dpp/proglist/

Hi, I noticed the mark barrier is 50% for the pass progression within the Foundation Year. What is the pass percentage within the three year degree? As I always assumed 40% was a pass, a low pass at that, but still a pass. Is it the same throughout the degree out of curiosity? Or is every University generally different in pass rates and percentages?
How long does the foundation department generally take to reply back? I applied in feb...
Reply 163
Original post by Koshkaquoibonis
How long does the foundation department generally take to reply back? I applied in feb...

I had applied on 21st November and received my offer on 18th January. They seem to have a reputation for taking their time with applications more so than other universities.
Reply 164
Original post by Himynameskiefer
Hi, I noticed the mark barrier is 50% for the pass progression within the Foundation Year. What is the pass percentage within the three year degree? As I always assumed 40% was a pass, a low pass at that, but still a pass. Is it the same throughout the degree out of curiosity? Or is every University generally different in pass rates and percentages?

Yes, according to their core regulations, a %40 GPA and at least %40 mark from all your modules is the cut off point for an undergraduate degree.
You should be able to find more detailed information here:
http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/university.calendar/volumeii/2012.2013/coreregsug.pdf
Reply 165
Original post by aimeelou89
Hi has anyone received an email now stating we don't have to send in our previous education certificates?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello,
Do you mean your academic transcripts prior to your secondary education?
Original post by Emre944
Hello,
Do you mean your academic transcripts prior to your secondary education?

When I received my offer it was unconditional, but I needed to send my GCSE certificates in. However, iv recently received an e-mail stating that home/EU students no longer need to send it prior academic achievements??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 167
When I received my offer it was unconditional, but I needed to send my GCSE certificates in. However, iv recently received an e-mail stating that home/EU students no longer need to send it prior academic achievements??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Were you asked to send your GCSE certificates prior to receiving your unconditional offer? I suppose you wouldn't need to send in anything else since you've already been acknowledged as qualifying for your programme with an unconditional offer. Out of curiosity, what programme/degree is it?
Reply 168
Original post by Emre944
Were you asked to send your GCSE certificates prior to receiving your unconditional offer? I suppose you wouldn't need to send in anything else since you've already been acknowledged as qualifying for your programme with an unconditional offer. Out of curiosity, what programme/degree is it?

Well I was kind of in the same boat. I was doing my maths when I applied so I received a conditional offer. I have know idea when my offer will change to unconditional as i got my required grade a few days after receiving my offer. I have been told I just need to take my GCSE certificate in when I start my course now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by add4
Well I was kind of in the same boat. I was doing my maths when I applied so I received a conditional offer. I have know idea when my offer will change to unconditional as i got my required grade a few days after receiving my offer. I have been told I just need to take my GCSE certificate in when I start my course now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm just really confused :/ why would it state that u needed certain GCSE grades to apply, if they are now saying that I don't have to send them in? Surly they need confirmation that I got the grades I stated in my application?
Iv rung my college, who have sent out the e-mail and she said I didn't need to send them at all...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Emre944

My offer was unconditional - but I had to send in my gsce certificates. But now there saying I don't need to?
I'm doing criminology with foundation :smile:
Just confused as to why they now wouldn't need them? Surly they need to know I actually got the grades that I stated in my application?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 171
My offer was unconditional - but I had to send in my gsce certificates. But now there saying I don't need to?
I'm doing criminology with foundation :smile:
Just confused as to why they now wouldn't need them? Surly they need to know I actually got the grades that I stated in my application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you tried contacting them?
https://www.dur.ac.uk/foundation.centre/findoutmore/

https://www.dur.ac.uk/foundation.centre/enquiryform/

It was my college that email me iv rung them and they say I don't need to send them in? Ill ring foundation centre tomorrow see what they say. Was more curious to see if anyone else had been sent the same Email. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 173
It was my college that email me iv rung them and they say I don't need to send them in? Ill ring foundation centre tomorrow see what they say. Was more curious to see if anyone else had been sent the same Email. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which college were you allocated to?
Original post by Emre944
Which college were you allocated to?

Josephine butler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Emre944
I had applied on 21st November and received my offer on 18th January. They seem to have a reputation for taking their time with applications more so than other universities.

Thanks. I was concerned considering I applied "late"
Sorry if this is slightly "off topic". I tried logging in this evening on ucas track & got suspended for "too many attempts" something along those lines. My primary concern is should I contact Durham to let them know about this issue? as on the ucas website they say it takes 24 hours for the account to be reactivated... I hope this will not affect my application :frown:
Reply 177
Original post by Koshkaquoibonis
Sorry if this is slightly "off topic". I tried logging in this evening on ucas track & got suspended for "too many attempts" something along those lines. My primary concern is should I contact Durham to let them know about this issue? as on the ucas website they say it takes 24 hours for the account to be reactivated... I hope this will not affect my application :frown:

Oh wow how many times do you log in to UCAS track in a day? I don't think it would have any effect on your application. Though you should bring it down a notch.
Josephine butler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah me too, at least I know one other person's going to be in the same boat as me lol.

I wouldn't worry about your GCSE's, if they've emailed you saying they don't need them, then they don't need them. Especially as you've now called to clarify. But if you're worried, you may as well take the certs with you when the year starts, just in case... I'm guessing a couple of pieces of paper wont make too much difference to a years worth of living supplies lol.

Anyone going to the post app open day on the 18th?
Original post by Emre944
Oh wow how many times do you log in to UCAS track in a day? I don't think it would have any effect on your application. Though you should bring it down a notch.

I think he/she means they tried logging in but got a password wrong or something, so the account freezes for security reasons... I don't know though, I'm just assuming there isn't such a thing as being locked out of the account because you logged in too much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending