Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    I dislike West Ham, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea. Especially the first two – dreadful, obnoxious fans (in my experience).

I like Wigan, Swansea, Norwich, and and I'll say Man Utd given how unpopular they are. I know that's a bit hypocritical given my fan-based criticism of Arsenal and West Ham, but they've got a lot of history and are just about the only club near the top of the league that actually deserves to be there (apart from Everton).

I support Everton.
    You've got a sound point there. Why don't you think Arsenal deserve to be there though?

Agree with you on their fans though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    You've got a sound point there. Why don't you think Arsenal deserve to be there though?

Agree with you on their fans though.
    Well they do, I suppose. The Arsenal thing for me is more personal experience, based on the fans, and the fact that they think they should be title contenders every year. Yeah they've got the history too but they seem pretty blind to me that their squad is nowhere near as good as it was a few years ago. I excluded them perhaps then because they aren't 'at the top' in the same way as they used to be – they've dropped in quality whereas everyone else in the top 7 or so (with the possible exception of Chelsea) have got better, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    Well they do, I suppose. The Arsenal thing for me is more personal experience, based on the fans, and the fact that they think they should be title contenders every year. Yeah they've got the history too but they seem pretty blind to me that their squad is nowhere near as good as it was a few years ago. I excluded them perhaps then because they aren't 'at the top' in the same way as they used to be – they've dropped in quality whereas everyone else in the top 7 or so (with the possible exception of Chelsea) have got better, in my opinion.
    I dunno man, I think their fans are idiots but they're also realists, they pretty much know they're crap (relatively) these days. The only time I've noticed any real bias is when it comes to their opinions of their past players such as Henry, Pires, Bergkamp etc but you get that with all fans I suppose.

As a club, other than selling their stadium naming rights I can't find a fault with them. They're well run, they back youth, try to play good football, have backed their manager in a results business... plenty of reasons to respect them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    I disagree. Arsenal fans are well aware that the quality isn't what it used to be.

The idea that they should be title contenders every year is based on the size of the club and the money available, not the quality of the players they have.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno man, I think their fans are idiots but they're also realists, they pretty much know they're crap (relatively) these days. The only time I've noticed any real bias is when it comes to their opinions of their past players such as Henry, Pires, Bergkamp etc but you get that with all fans I suppose.

As a club, other than selling their stadium naming rights I can't find a fault with them. They're well run, they back youth, try to play good football, have backed their manager in a results business... plenty of reasons to respect them.
    (Original post by pane123)
    I disagree. Arsenal fans are well aware that the quality isn't what it used to be.

The idea that they should be title contenders every year is based on the size of the club and the money available, not the quality of the players they have.
    As I've said, this is from personal experience. I live in Kent and there's a lot of Arsenal fans about, and they all seem convinced that they're the best team going. Plus they never shut up about Spurs... I take your points about youth and sticking with Wenger though, I respect that.

ReputationRep:
    Yh I agree. I have a soft spot for Arsenal but their fans are becoming just as annoying as Liverpool supporters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    Plus they never shut up about Spurs....
    Actually now you've said it, what's all this "St. Totteringham's Day" stuff :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenal...ingham.27s_Day so it was only getting proper acknowledgements by the club itself in 2007 (two years after the drought started :rolleyes:) Wasn't even mentioned in the media until 2010. What does that say to you? It says to me they know they've got nothing to shout about, they've declined horribly so they've thought "I know, we'll taunt Spurs every year, it's all we've got left now."

I know I slate them but would you see Liverpool or Man. United fans doing something like this to taunt Everton or City? That is just incredibly small time, it really is. They have literally nothing else to shout about so they make a big fuss over finishing above their neighbours.

We (Villa) finish above Blues every season barring 2004. We don't throw an annual party to celebrate it. We want to aim higher than finishing above a crap team.

ReputationRep:
    Love the thread

Support the famous Glasgow Rangers

Like:

Chelsea
    Linfield
    Bayern Munich
    Inter milan
    Roma
    Partick thistle
    All 1st,2nd and 3rd division teams in scotland except dunfermline

Dislike:

Celtic (the orcs from the piggery)
    man u
    Liverpool
    Irish teams from the south
    St Pauli
    Raith Rovers
    Dundee Utd
    Dunfermline
    Barcelona
    lyon
    PSG
    Monaco
    infact all of the SPL

ReputationRep:
    Actually now you've said it, what's all this "St. Totteringham's Day" stuff :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenal...ingham.27s_Day so it was only getting proper acknowledgements by the club itself in 2007 (two years after the drought started :rolleyes:) Wasn't even mentioned in the media until 2010. What does that say to you? It says to me they know they've got nothing to shout about, they've declined horribly so they've thought "I know, we'll taunt Spurs every year, it's all we've got left now."

I know I slate them but would you see Liverpool or Man. United fans doing something like this to taunt Everton or City? That is just incredibly small time, it really is. They have literally nothing else to shout about so they make a big fuss over finishing above their neighbours.

We (Villa) finish above Blues every season barring 2004. We don't throw an annual party to celebrate it. We want to aim higher than finishing above a crap team.
    They are rivals and it's only natural that the rivalry should intensify as the teams become more equal.

I can't imagine Celtic fans would see beating Rangers as any great achievement, but if Rangers get back to the SPL the rivalry will reignite and winning will be hugely important.

Liverpool taunted Man U for years about their 18 league titles and now Man U are exercising their bragging rights, having exceeded this total.

It might be a bit petty, but it's all part of having a rivalry and I'm sure the taunts will have the desired effect on the opposition.

ReputationRep:
    They are rivals and it's only natural that the rivalry should intensify as the teams become more equal.

I can't imagine Celtic fans would see beating Rangers as any great achievement, but if Rangers get back to the SPL the rivalry will reignite and winning will be hugely important.

Liverpool taunted Man U for years about their 18 league titles and now Man U are exercising their bragging rights, having exceeded this total.

It might be a bit petty, but it's all part of having a rivalry and I'm sure the taunts will have the desired effect on the opposition.
    It's not the taunts it's the celebrating like they've just won the CL on the last day because they finished above Spurs and got 4th. It shows how far Arsenal have fallen. I'd understand your point about teams becoming more equal a bit more if it were Spurs who caught Arsenal up and overtook them but that's not the case. Arsenal were not the underdog, they have declined yet are boasting about it. You don't see how stupid that is? The difference between United and Rangers taunting their rivals is that they overcame the bigger club.

Giving it an 'official' name as well? "St. Totteringham's Day".

ReputationRep:

I'd never even heard of that... :erm:

It's pretty stupid to be honest. Everton and Liverpool are just as close now as Spurs and Arsenal are and you don't see much like this happening (indeed the rivalry was pretty cordial before Rafa turned up...). I saw Stevie G insisted that finishing below Everton was no big deal this year though, not sure I'd go that far

Also I'm glad Villa didn't go down this year – would miss Gary Lineker wheeling out his stat about it being the most-played fixture in the top flight whenever we play you :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It's not the taunts it's the celebrating like they've just won the CL on the last day because they finished above Spurs and got 4th. It shows how far Arsenal have fallen. I'd understand your point about teams becoming more equal a bit more if it were Spurs who caught Arsenal up and overtook them but that's not the case. Arsenal were not the underdog, they have declined yet are boasting about it. You don't see how stupid that is? The difference between United and Rangers taunting their rivals is that they overcame the bigger club.

Giving it an 'official' name as well? "St. Totteringham's Day".
    It goes two ways though - you had Tottenham fans boasting when it looked like they were going to finish ahead of Arsenal.

It wouldn't be any fun to do it to a rival that you are miles ahead of.

I totally accept what you're saying, but regardless of who did the catching up, would it not be a bit weird for Arsenal fans not to celebrate more than normal when Spurs have come so close?

ReputationRep:
    It goes two ways though - you had Tottenham fans boasting when it looked like they were going to finish ahead of Arsenal.

It wouldn't be any fun to do it to a rival that you are miles ahead of.

I totally accept what you're saying, but regardless of who did the catching up, would it not be a bit weird for Arsenal fans not to celebrate more than normal when Spurs have come so close?
    I accept they should wind them up a bit but turning it into an annual party is sad and is actually quite typical of Arsenal fans. Similar to how they refer to the 2004 side as The Invincibles as if it's an official name. Why does everything have to be a gimmick these days?

ReputationRep:
    I accept they should wind them up a bit but turning it into an annual party is sad and is actually quite typical of Arsenal fans. Similar to how they refer to the 2004 side as The Invincibles as if it's an official name. Why does everything have to be a gimmick these days?
    'The Invincibles' has been given to other undefeated teams in the past. Anyway, it's much easier than saying 'Arsenal's undefeated team of 2003-2004'.

And is it really an annual party? I know they 'celebrate' it every year, but I was blissfully unaware of its existence until very recently.

ReputationRep:

'The Invincibles' has been given to other undefeated teams in the past. Anyway, it's much easier than saying 'Arsenal's undefeated team of 2003-2004'

United just refer to their team as the '99 squad. Don't see why Arsenal can't refer to theirs as the '04 squad.

And is it really an annual party? I know they 'celebrate' it every year, but I was blissfully unaware of its existence until very recently.
    I'm exaggerating to put my point across but

http://www.onlinegooner.com/forum/vi...dc1c26292d2c44

http://www.goonersworld.co.uk/forum/...art=45#p830171

http://arsenal-mania.com/forum/viewt...1612&start=120

You tell me.

ReputationRep:
    Like Arsenal

Dislike spuds and liverpool

ReputationRep:
    United just refer to their team as the '99 squad. Don't see why Arsenal can't refer to theirs as the '04 squad.

I'm exaggerating to put my point across but

http://www.onlinegooner.com/forum/vi...dc1c26292d2c44

http://www.goonersworld.co.uk/forum/...art=45#p830171

http://arsenal-mania.com/forum/viewt...1612&start=120

You tell me.
    But 'The Invincibles' is a recognised term for undefeated team, it wasn't a term invented by Arsenal.

As a football fan yourself, I'm sure you know that fan forums often play host to the less intelligent fans of a club.

ReputationRep:
    But 'The Invincibles' is a recognised term for undefeated team, it wasn't a term invented by Arsenal.
    I know they didn't invent it I just think it's sad that they actually use it. It's also factually incorrect as they lost 7 times in that season.

As a football fan yourself, I'm sure you know that fan forums often play host to the less intelligent fans of a club.
    This is true but as I said before, United and Liverpool don't do stuff like this. Their fans, generally, are not a set of Soccer AM watching wallies.

ReputationRep:
    I know they didn't invent it I just think it's sad that they actually use it. It's also factually incorrect as they lost 7 times in that season.

This is true but as I said before, United and Liverpool don't do stuff like this. Their fans, generally, are not a set of Soccer AM watching wallies.
    But United and Liverpool do wind each other up.

While I'm willing to concede the whole St Totteringham's day (or whatever it is) is a little sad, I can't agree with you on the Invincibles. The media and fans of other clubs would still use the term, even if Arsenal fans didn't. As I said, it's an easy to remember term that lets everyone know what team you're talking about. Also, everyone knows that it refers only to their league form.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Oh dear. You have reverted to an argument reserved only for dunderheads.
    Fair enough - 25th anniversary of MkDonalds FA cup win next year: if that isn't counted as a win for them on the basis that they were founded in 2004 (as determined a couple of years back) then why do sevco get to keep rangers history - Wimbledon were just rebranded and located, rangers went under.

Would that include the likes of Sir Alex Ferguson?
    Yes it would - I like Lennon, I don't care about fergie.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.