Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    What if you stick two people together and one kills the other, whose liable? The state. The lawyers lick their lips.
    Yep, just like if a person gets stabbed on a train, you sue the train company for putting them in the same carriage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pickup)
    It's interesting that the Coalition Government want the private sector to expand but don't want people in social housing to be able to use their 'spare room' to set up / run a business. What's the logic in that.

More women than men are now setting up in business - perhaps just those single parents who are in council houses.

I don't think ( as usual ) that the Government has thought this one through.
    Another back of the envelope job from our part-time chancellor perhaps?

If he concentrated on his ( surely fairly important) job of getting the economy going , instead of spending his time on Conservative Party strategy he wouldn't be making such a hash of it.
    I'm fairly sure that the main reason people aren't setting up businesses is lack of capital and ideas, rather than a lack of a spare room in which to begin their business. If you're really stuck, build a shed then a business.

ReputationRep:
    Social housing leases usually have a clause forbidding the running of a business from the property so obviously not a consideration. Lots of private leases have this clause too.

ReputationRep:
    The disabled and people who are in the arm forces don't face the tax

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shonaT)
    Quite frankly I hope you never get to make decisions about the safety of my children.
    What would you do if you were in a position to make the decision about two families and one home which had enough space for both of them? The point is someone has to make those choices, what would you do if you were them?

(Original post by KatyFlo)
    You are quite frankly an idiot. Ive lived in social housing all my life with my family, and you think you can just stick people in houses together like that!? How ignorant. I myself have extreme anxiety issues, as does my mother, my sister suffers from bad depression and has frequent suicide attempts (sometimes in the house), My older brother also suffers from depression and has very aggressive outbursts too where he destroys the place. We have always argued everyday, fought most days of our lives with each other, and I don't mean little slaps and smacks, I mean throwing each other down the stairs and smashing each other with irons. But yes, lets smack us in another house with another dysfunctional family cause I'm sure we'll get on like a house on fire. I can't even imagine pushing an unknowing person into our families daily madness. Who should be subject to that? Oh right yeah, it doesn't matter because we are SCUM! What an absolutely ridiculous 'fix'. And believe you me where I've grown up my family is the norm before you think we're just an odd crazy bunch. Product of the time and times before.
    I didn't say anything about scum, my motivation for this is to get more people into housing. Why must you see this as an attack? See it from the homeless person's perspective too.

As for your family's specific problems, it seems like you'd be better off living apart, or at least with someone who wouldn't put up with violent outbursts? In need of mental health help at the very least anyway. Unless you're claiming you grew up in an asylum (and I wouldn't believe that either), no, I won't believe your family is the norm anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisawhitmore)
    Yep, just like if a person gets stabbed on a train, you sue the train company for putting them in the same carriage.
    You had a choice to buy economy or first class. You wont make a very good lawyer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    You had a choice to buy economy or first class. You wont make a very good lawyer.
    First Class: it's a little more expensive, but you'll probably survive the journey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisawhitmore)
    First Class: it's a little more expensive, but you'll probably survive the journey.
    Missed the point totally, then again im not here to educate the feckless.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if this tax applies to MP's with second/third homes etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    I agree with you on this on!

The Mps and councillors should accept a cut or even abolition of the expenses system

ReputationRep:
    The government are just coming up with creative ways to bring up the tax revenue without p-ssing off businesses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    I agree with you on this on!

The Mps and councillors should accept a cut or even abolition of the expenses system
    I'm getting worried, this is twice in two day's I've agreed with something you've said!

ReputationRep:
    I worry for the way some people think in this Country. God forbid you ever get into a position of leadership in Government. It may be called United Kingdom, but I think you are taking the word United a little too literally.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting worried, this is twice in two day's I've agreed with something you've said!
    Loool well I think common sense policies are always right

(pun intended loool)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    I worry for the way some people think in this Country. God forbid you ever get into a position of leadership in Government. It may be called United Kingdom, but I think you are taking the word United a little too literally.
    what do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    what do you mean?
    The suggestion that a family should share the house they live in with a stranger just because they have an extra bedroom is ludicrous.

ReputationRep:
    The suggestion that a family should share the house they live in with a stranger just because they have an extra bedroom is ludicrous.
    Not really when taxpayers are funding it..AND when there is a chronic lack of social housing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Not really when taxpayers are funding it..AND when there is a chronic lack of social housing
    There are so many unsuspected dangerous people in the world such as rapists and murderers.

How do you you think it would be a good idea to let a stranger who may be capable of harming others, share a house with an innocent individual?

You are what's wrong with this country.

ReputationRep:
    People seem to get rather annoyed by MPs having second homes, yet I've still never heard anyone explain a good way to have, for example, Mark Durkan, the MP for Foyle in Northern Ireland, work in westminster while maintaining links to his constituency. He could commute, but it'd be a 20 hour drive each day, which would probably interfere with his work.

ReputationRep:
    There are so many unsuspected dangerous people in the world such as rapists and murderers.

How do you you think it would be a good idea to let a stranger who may be capable of harming others, share a house with an innocent individual?

You are what's wrong with this country.
    Yeah. That's why we don't do this at say, every university in the country. All the time.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.