Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maselg2)
    Oxbridge...Where you read with your lover...drink with your tutor...and sleep with your books. Of course we look down on you proletariats. :cool:
    That's "proletarians".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    I'm sorry in all my years at cambridge I didn't find any snobbery at all no one looked down on anybody. Mind you everyone was drunk most of the time.
    That seems to be a real feature of Cambridge, from what I hear, a sort of pervasive drunken haze. It seems to have an awful lot of pubs for such a small town. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge goes have a lot of pubs my personal favourite was...the eagle?

ReputationRep:
    From my experience - No.

If it does occur, then it's a tiny minority.

ReputationRep:
    Not every person is the same. After some time a lot of people get over the fact that they are at Oxbridge.

However, if you mock/snobbish towards them, well then its a completely different story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MENDACIUM)
    For Engineering, Imperial could definitely be 'par on par' with Cambridge. It is better than Oxford in that respect. It's entrance requirements are higher.
    Imperial has a fundamentally different vision on engineering: it is actually about becoming an engineer. That makes the course requiring you to pick a specific type, and you learn a lot about actually being an engineer. The more general comprehension on the way engineering fundamentally builds up its models is less of a priority than at Oxbridge (especially vs Oxford, it being the most theoretical course within the UK).

I am yet to meet anyone in real life, who chose Imperial engineering over Oxford / Cambridge engineering.

Oxford nor cambridge do dentistry.

There are many other subjects i could go on to discussing.
    They don't do media studies either, nor nursing. They do teach English though, as well as Medicine.

Medicine is the rare case where it does not matter what university you go to. 'oxbridge' students have a choice to transfer to Imperial after year 3 to join them in the clinical years ect and finish their degree there. (selection / admission process).
    When a medicine student applies to a hospital after their degrees, the only information the recruiter obtains on their university is if they went to Oxford, Cambridge or another university, as shown by the Oxon, Camtab or nothing behind their degrees and name. However this is the only instance where I know of someone from Oxbridge going to a different university to continue their education (without being thrown out).

There's a good argument between Oxbridge and Harvard/MIT/a pick of the Ivy Leagues/Economics at LSE, but that's the only real comparison. For some cases, you may still be better off having gone somewhere else. If I wanted someone to build my house straight out of university, I'd prefer an Imperial graduate, just like I'd prefer almost any non-Oxbridge medicine graduate to be my doctor vs an Oxbridge graduate straight from university. But give them 5 years, and I'd certainly reverse my pick.

ReputationRep:
    Thats funny I met some Dentist students in cambridge.
    The best thing about cambridge is the river meanders.
    Oh no sorry they were optometrists? Is that right-(opticians)?

ReputationRep:
    On the contrary, I think it's mostly people who don't go to either Oxford or Cambridge who are the *****iest about elitism and so on. I think it's a sense that Oxbridge students may have more opportunities available to them post-uni than someone going to a university lower down the league tables; however, coming from Oxford with a Third because you slacked off during the last year vs. putting all your effort in and coming out from another uni with a First, well, the employer will take the applicant with the First. And really, if your grades aren't high enough for Oxford, it shows that

A) You didn't want it as much as you now think you did
    B) It's unlikely you would cope with the hectic schedules employed by either Oxford or Cambridge.

Might not be want people want to hear, but it's true. For the record I'm not an Oxbridge applicant, I'm going up north to Lincoln. I have a friend who's headed to Oxford in September and I'm psyched for him, he's worked hard to get there, and he doesn't use his admission as a weapon or argument settler (even if it does make an excellent comeback)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by British-Student)
    On the contrary, I think it's mostly people who don't go to either Oxford or Cambridge who are the *****iest about elitism and so on. I think it's a sense that Oxbridge students may have more opportunities available to them post-uni than someone going to a university lower down the league tables; however, coming from Oxford with a Third because you slacked off during the last year vs. putting all your effort in and coming out from another uni with a First, well, the employer will take the applicant with the First. And really, if your grades aren't high enough for Oxford, it shows that

A) You didn't want it as much as you now think you did
    B) It's unlikely you would cope with the hectic schedules employed by either Oxford or Cambridge.

Might not be want people want to hear, but it's true. For the record I'm not an Oxbridge applicant, I'm going up north to Lincoln. I have a friend who's headed to Oxford in September and I'm psyched for him, he's worked hard to get there, and he doesn't use his admission as a weapon or argument settler (even if it does make an excellent comeback)
    You shall regret saying that

ReputationRep:
    ^True its best not to rub peoples noses in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    Thats funny I met some Dentist students in cambridge.
    The best thing about cambridge is the river meanders.
    Oh no sorry they were optometrists? Is that right-(opticians)?
    They were Probably Anglia Ruskin students?

ReputationRep:
    yes they were as were many of my friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooambitious)
    Definitely. I judge all of you dimwits. :facepalm2:
    Brilliant

ReputationRep:
    I have came across some who do and some who don't

I have a lot more respect for the modest ones

ReputationRep:
    I do & I don't but I prob'ly never will again.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    That seems to be a real feature of Cambridge, from what I hear, a sort of pervasive drunken haze. It seems to have an awful lot of pubs for such a small town. :rolleyes:
    Well, clearly it helps, we're better than Oxford

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wibletg)
    Well, clearly it helps, we're better than Oxford
    That must be why more people apply for each place at Oxford than at Cambridge. :cool:
    http://www.cherwell.org/news/academi...than-cambridge

I shouldn't overdo it though - if you feel more comfortable amongst test tubes or scratching astrophysics formulae on boards in dusty rooms with the socially inept, Cambridge is your kind of place. :boring:

ReputationRep:
    That must be why more people apply for each place at Oxford than at Cambridge. :cool:
    Entry to Ox is more competed for, but entry to Cam is more competitive.
    :smokin:

ReputationRep:

I shouldn't overdo it though - if you feel more comfortable amongst test tubes or scratching astrophysics formulae on boards in dusty rooms with the socially inept, Cambridge is your kind of place. :boring:
    What's wrong with the first two? and socially inept, I think not

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.