Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Manchester United FC vs Manchester City FC Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basiji)
    Are you being serious? He is pants. All he has is pace and that's all I saw from that game.
    Well haven't watched him enough. Watch a guy for more than one match then say this.
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Rarely have I seen so much nonsense spoken by a fan after a match. You didn't play well in a single game. You are going to saunter to the league. You will have done this, by May, totally convincingly. You beat City at the Etihad. Writing things like 'We'll never win another home game against City' is just laughable, to be honest.

Fans get upset after losing, especially in big games: that's natural. But if your reaction after the game is going to be written out like this, you may want to consider taking some time after a match before writing something so obviously silly.
    Lol, tbf my brother went up to manchester to watch the match and I think some of his friends will come up with a similar reaction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Well haven't watched him enough. Watch a guy for more than one match then say this.

Lol, tbf my brother went up to manchester to watch the match and I think some of his friends will come up with a similar reaction.
    Doesn't change the fact that it will be a very silly reaction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eboracum)
    Not worthy Champions for me, only there because of how poor City have been.
    Ignoring the rest of your ridiculous post, I hate when people say this. Is that not literally the definition of "champions", being better than the second placed team?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know just saying how fickle a lot of fans can be. Especially fans of big clubs who don't see the bigger picture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    You must be the most fickle fan I have ever seen in my life :facepalm:

As the Aston Villa fans once argued.

(Original post by MetropolisBoy)
    He has every right to be angry though, because this United team has been below average throughout the season and have not performing to the standards you'd expect from a club like United. (I can understand his frustration and this coming from an Arsenal fan)
    I stand by 75% of my rant. You've got to aim high. It's no good saying 'Well, get the league back, good season'. It could have been so much more. I believe we had a very realistic chance at the treble this year.

(Original post by diggy)
    I agree with the Chelsea and city the Valencia points
    It's incredible to think Valencia was club player of the year last season. He was really really good. This year he's been so bad.

Really disappointing to lose both. I thought we'd beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge and at least draw tonight. It's about pride really. You want to win the big games to enforce your dominance. Sort of like the alpha male in the pack. We'll need to win the home game against Chelsea and away game at Arsenal to prove a point for me.

(Original post by TheMagicRat)
    Oh, how I dream about being disappointed at winning 25 out of 30 matches.
    Oh that was the bit I was delighted about. It should have led to at least a Double this season. If not the best United squad ever under Ferguson, it's pretty strong. That one week with Madrid and Chelsea killed us. And as a United fan, the amount of weeks we've had two big games. We always win at least one. So when we lost to Madrid I expected us to beat Chelsea. And when we lost to Chelsea, I expected us to beat City. Hasn't happened. So disappointing.

But, it is all relative. King Messi made the excellent point about relativism. 89 points and a Second place trophy less season is bitterly bitterly disappointing for a United fan.

(Original post by fallen_acorns)
    Van persie? a flop? - he got an assist tonight, and still has one of the best goal records in the league.. dispite joining a new team, where they barely set him up/play for him to score (unlike arsenal)

Get a grip.
    It was a bit of a rant wasn't it. Although I am disappointed with van Persie and Rooney. Now is the time we need them most, and they are nowhere to be seen.

(Original post by diggy)
    The points about the CL and FA cup are true.

For a team like united winning the premier league is the minimum imo I've been disappointed by our CL performances going out against madrid was a shambles RVP could have scored in the first leg and the previous years were alot worse though

Its like a wider comment on the epl though the season has been fun but the quality of teams is still.not there the only real contender a for.the title were city united and Chelsea to a lesser extent
    We are on the same wave length. I'm really disappointed the way this season has rolled out.

Yeah I know just saying how fickle a lot of fans can be. Especially fans of big clubs who don't see the bigger picture.
    Football is a very fickle game. As you'll know being a Chelsea fan Mr Jam. A few comments were a bit silly, but I stand by 75% of my statement.

ReputationRep:

As the Aston Villa fans once argued.

I stand by 75% of my rant. You've got to aim high. It's no good saying 'Well, get the league back, good season'. It could have been so much more. I believe we had a very realistic chance at the treble this year.

It's incredible to think Valencia was club player of the year last season. He was really really good. This year he's been so bad.

Really disappointing to lose both. I thought we'd beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge and at least draw tonight. It's about pride really. You want to win the big games to enforce your dominance. Sort of like the alpha male in the pack. We'll need to win the home game against Chelsea and away game at Arsenal to prove a point for me.

Oh that was the bit I was delighted about. It should have led to at least a Double this season. If not the best United squad ever under Ferguson, it's pretty strong. That one week with Madrid and Chelsea killed us. And as a United fan, the amount of weeks we've had two big games. We always win at least one. So when we lost to Madrid I expected us to beat Chelsea. And when we lost to Chelsea, I expected us to beat City. Hasn't happened. So disappointing.

But, it is all relative. King Messi made the excellent point about relativism. 89 points and a Second place trophy less season is bitterly bitterly disappointing for a United fan.

It was a bit of a rant wasn't it. Although I am disappointed with van Persie and Rooney. Now is the time we need them most, and they are nowhere to be seen.

We are on the same wave length. I'm really disappointed the way this season has rolled out.

Football is a very fickle game. As you'll know being a Chelsea fan Mr Jam. A few comments were a bit silly, but I stand by 75% of my statement.
    I get what you mean. It's not been a great season but look at it in context. You're potentially set to win a points record in the prem, got knocked out by real madrid in the CL who will probably lift the trophy. Similar thing happened to us in 2010, we top the CL group to get beat in the second round by the eventual winners and they clearly had a stronger team that season. Fine we won the FA cup too but in europe we were absolutely poor, which is very unfair as I think we had the 3rd strongest squad in the world at the time(heck I think we'd have done barca that season over two legs) but had to face the second strongest squad in the world.

You lost to chelsea, while we've absolutely capitulated, we are still a very good team and probably on paper as strong as united. Only reason you're 18 points in front of us is because we're a team in transition. I knew we'd bottle the title early on in november so wasn't even that annoyed while your team are stable, had a transition team last season and have a manager like fergie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diggy)
    The points about the CL and FA cup are true.

For a team like united winning the premier league is the minimum imo I've been disappointed by our CL performances going out against madrid was a shambles RVP could have scored in the first leg and the previous years were alot worse though

Its like a wider comment on the epl though the season has been fun but the quality of teams is still.not there the only real contender a for.the title were city united and Chelsea to a lesser extent

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're probably losing to the team that will lift the trophy. Like I said before the double season in 2010 was great, despite the disappointment in europe it was completely understandable. If you'd lost to dortmund like that, or malaga/shaktar then I'd be disappointed as you have a squad that's better than theirs. But a loss to the probable winners, a team that has been able to match barca on the field the past 2-3 seasons then maybe you'd take a step back and realise that your not granted everything on a plate because you're man united.

Hissy fits man. With chelsea the FA cup was disappointing, but your players were jaded in the 2-2. The 1-0 is more disappointing down to the horrendous team selection by fergie. However losing to chelsea isn't really that bad, compare it to crystal palace and liverpool last season. That is disappointing.

ReputationRep:
    Absolute disgrace for me. Players and managers should be ashamed of themselves.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    St. Mirren
    Scottish First Division (1): 1976–77
    Aberdeen
    Scottish Premier Division (3): 1979–80, 1983–84, 1984–85
    Scottish Cup (4): 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1985–86
    Scottish League Cup (1): 1985–86
    UEFA Cup Winners' Cup (1): 1982–83
    UEFA Super Cup (1): 1983
    Manchester United[119]
    Premier League (12): 1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11
    FA Cup (5): 1989–90, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1998–99, 2003–04
    League Cup (4): 1991–92, 2005–06, 2008–09, 2009–10
    FA Charity/Community Shield (10): 1990 (shared), 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011
    UEFA Champions League (2): 1998–99, 2007–08
    UEFA Cup Winners' Cup (1): 1990–91
    UEFA Super Cup (1): 1991
    Intercontinental Cup (1): 1999
    FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2008
    Individual
    LMA Manager of the Decade (1): 1990s
    LMA Manager of the Year (3): 1998–99, 2007–08, 2010–11
    LMA Special Merit Award (2): 2009, 2011
    Premier League Manager of the Season (10): 1993–94, 1995–96, 1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11
    Premier League Manager of the Month (27): August 1993, October 1994, February 1996, March 1996, February 1997, October 1997, January 1999, April 1999, August 1999, March 2000, April 2000, February 2001, April 2003, December 2003, February 2005, March 2006, August 2006, October 2006, February 2007, January 2008, March 2008, January 2009, April 2009, September 2009, January 2011, August 2011, October 2012
    UEFA Manager of the Year (1): 1998–99
    UEFA Team of the Year (2): 2007, 2008
    Onze d'Or Coach of the Year (3): 1999, 2007, 2008
    IFFHS World's Best Club Coach (2): 1999, 2008
    IFFHS World's Best Coach of the 21st Century (1): 2012
    World Soccer Magazine World Manager of the Year (4): 1993, 1999, 2007, 2008
    Laureus World Sports Award for Team of the Year (1): 2000
    BBC Sports Personality of the Year Coach Award (1): 1999
    BBC Sports Personality Team of the Year Award (1): 1999
    BBC Sports Personality of the Year Lifetime Achievement Award (1): 2001
    English Football Hall of Fame (Manager) : 2002
    European Hall of Fame (Manager): 2008
    FIFA Presidential Award: 2011
    Premier League 10 Seasons Awards (1992–93 – 2001–02)
    Premier League 20 Seasons Awards (1992–93 – 2011–12)
    Manager of the Decade
    Most Coaching Appearances (392 games)
    FWA Tribute Award : 1996
    PFA Merit Award: 2007
    Mussabini Medal : 1999
    Orders and special awards
    Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE): 1983
    Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE): 1995
    Knight Bachelor (Kt.): 1999

Really disappointing season for United. Any team that wins 25 of their first 30 games should be something special. We had a great chance to win the treble. Should have seen out the home game against Madrid, we didn't do that and went out. Ferguson hasn't won enough Champions League trophies for me. Then against Chelsea, 2-0 up at half time...should be guaranteed, but no, and we were poor in the replay.
    This particular bit just shows how spoilt modern day Man. United fans have become. You are about to go two ahead of Liverpool, your bitter rivals, while taking your other bitter rivals' title at the same time. And you think that's a disappointment?

Madrid and Chelsea games... and? Man U have beaten all their rivals away from home this season apart from Arsenal who they are yet to play. You cannot win every game. The players are human.

Ferguson has got to understand that after a trophy less season winning the Premier League title is the BARE MINIMUM that I expect.
    Ah, yes, that fool Ferguson. When is he ever going to learn? :rolleyes:

Again this bit just shows how spoilt you are. It's laughable really. Go and speak to some older Man U fans who watched them in the 80's and had their childhoods pretty much ruined by the Scouse, who won everything in sight year after year and rubbed their noses in it, while all Man U could hope for nothing more than a good cup run.

Losing back to back to Chelsea and City is disgraceful when you are top of the league. Not worthy Champions for me, only there because of how poor City have been.
    Hold on. Think back to the Everton 4-4 game. What went wrong? Man U kept attacking, naively, to try and score a 5th with 10 minutes to go when the game was still at 4-2 to them. The game finishes 4-4, two points dropped which then gave City the advantage.

3-1 down at home against City earlier in the season, Man U kept attacking, again naively, and proceeded to let in 3 goals in 4 minutes and lost 6-1. Those goals effectively won City the title on goal difference.

Ferguson knows this, his aim this season was to do whatever it took to wrestle the title off City. You have done it with games to spare. Even a home defeat to them in what should have been a title decider cannot stop you. The football may have been cagey at times but the aim was to win after last season, to see games out and hold on to the win in games you would have crumbled in last season, and you have done that 25 times in 31 games. The team has been very, very effective this season. Many people thought City would dominate for years after last season, Ferguson has got the title back and you don't think that's good enough? Ferguson knows the priority was to win the league back. Anything else is a bonus.

Needs a serious clean out in Summer. Valencia got to be gone, awful all season. Welbeck, not United quality for me. I'd consider selling Rooney to be honest, he's lost the plot, just was just 90 minutes of anger tonight. As for van Persie...he's been a flop for me, great players consistently score all season, not score till February then the goals dry up.
    He has at times dragged Man U to wins that should have been draws and defeats; City, West Ham, Braga, Southampton... he set up your goal tonight too. Yet he's a flop? :rolleyes:

I'm truly embarrassed by my club tonight. Wouldn't surprise me if we lost this title as well. Winning it now means nothing. It should have been the chance to put City to bed, 18 points, show them who is boss. They beat us home and away on the way to the title, why can't we do the same? Winning the title this year after losing at home to City will be like continuing in a relationship with a girl despite you knowing she has slept with your best friend. No pride, and no balls.
    Tell that to the lads who've followed them before you were born. The league means everything. To say you are embarrassed and that it means nothing to win it now is absurd.

Did the European Cup and League double in 2008 mean nothing because City beat you at home then, too?

We'll never win another home game against City.
    Embarrassing.

ReputationRep:
    Although I don't agree with the whole of Eboracum's rant, he has still made some good points.

The team has played poorly throughout the season. Anybody that watches the games will know this. Being ahead by a lot of points is great, but when you believe the team can play better, it's frustrating to watch them play poorly each game.

There are a few players that just aren't pulling their weight.

ReputationRep:
    Over the moon with today's result - showing that we're here to stay where as after bacon face has retired I think it's safe to say United will never have the same level of success again!

Anyway, onwards and upwards - Turn over Chelsea Sunday and the FA Cup is ours!

Edit/ Eboracum - stop being a sour loser, you'll have to get used to it once Bacon face is gone and you've got Moyes in charge getting a taste of what I've been through with City the past 20odd years!
    In fact the way your going on, you sound like the only reason you follow football is for the success.
    It's ok you can carry on - I'll let you support City... I won't tell anyone! Ha ha ha.

ReputationRep:
    You're probably losing to the team that will lift the trophy. Like I said before the double season in 2010 was great, despite the disappointment in europe it was completely understandable. If you'd lost to dortmund like that, or malaga/shaktar then I'd be disappointed as you have a squad that's better than theirs. But a loss to the probable winners, a team that has been able to match barca on the field the past 2-3 seasons then maybe you'd take a step back and realise that your not granted everything on a plate because you're man united.

Hissy fits man. With chelsea the FA cup was disappointing, but your players were jaded in the 2-2. The 1-0 is more disappointing down to the horrendous team selection by fergie. However losing to chelsea isn't really that bad, compare it to crystal palace and liverpool last season. That is disappointing.
    The real madrid defeat was disappointing because we could have won the first leg more comfortably increasing our chances of reaching the semi final espicially against galetasaray (SP) not handed to us on a plate as such

ReputationRep:
    Could see why you would be annoyed about the champions league since united probably deserved to go through. Howeber no shame losing to one of the possible winners Madrid/Bayern. You've romped home with the league as well so there's a positive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The media is still trying to do everything they can to discredit City's performance...again. Turned on TalkSport and all I hear is them talking about how poor city have been this season and how mancini will be sacked if we don't beat chelsea. The Daily Star saying that "Mancini is to blame for a hollow victory" ""Cocky Manchester City Crown fools." Comments on SKy saying how poor United were and how flat the game was. After the game Neville moaning about how Tevez was offside for half and hour. Martin Tyler sighing when United miss a late chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanW18)
    Although I don't agree with the whole of Eboracum's rant, he has still made some good points.

The team has played poorly throughout the season. Anybody that watches the games will know this. Being ahead by a lot of points is great, but when you believe the team can play better, it's frustrating to watch them play poorly each game.

He hasn't made any good points, he's just made himself look like a spoiled brat.

I have already explained, the reason Man U lost the title last season was because of two particular results, Everton at home and City at home. They dropped an extra 2 points and 3 extra goals because of tactical naivety when all they had to do was shut up shop and see the games out. That would have won them the title and Fergie knows it. That is exactly what they've done this season to great effect, it's been about getting the results first and foremost, not making 'sexy football' the priority.

I cannot believe after what happened last season any Man United fan would seriously be moaning when they're 12 points clear with 7 games to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanW18)

I really don't think your team can play that much better personally. The defence and goalkeeper are doing great, better than last season since vidic came back. Carrick is having a very good season, while people have their reservations on cleverley he's playing midfield for a team such as united, playing almost every game and being forced to replace someone as influential as paul scholes. Anderson is never fit but has quality when fit while kagawa never plays enough or in the right position. Van persie has been influential in the early parts of the season and while goals have dried up it happened to suarez, happened to ronaldo this season as well. In reality only 2 of the wingers have been poor where there are no excuses for them. That is 3 players, one gets treated unfairly and benched for majority of the season(nani) and the other two have been poor no excuses.

(Original post by diggy)
    The real madrid defeat was disappointing because we could have won the first leg more comfortably increasing our chances of reaching the semi final espicially against galetasaray (SP) not handed to us on a plate as such
    No, you shouldn't have stop being deluded. Madrid had plenty of chances in the first leg, you completely scored against the run of play and did well to get a draw. You could have won the second leg were it not for the red card, but I still think mourinho had it covered, there's a reason he didn't put benzema on and put on modric straight away.

(Original post by Malevolent)
    Could see why you would be annoyed about the champions league since united probably deserved to go through. Howeber no shame losing to one of the possible winners Madrid/Bayern. You've romped home with the league as well so there's a positive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wouldn't say united deserved to go through tbh. Madrid had chances and really could have won the first leg by a big scoreline were it not for de gea. The second leg however was a bit unfair however I still believe mourinho had it covered regardless of the red card(which is allowed in the rules of the game)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Yeah United have been average but they have been grinding out results and kept a winning mentality throughout the whole season. Still, United fans should be happy regaining the title. They were never going to win the treble. Theres a significant gap between United and the likes of Bayern, Real and Barca imo.
    without messi united would have had a very real chance of beating barca, bayern are not significantly better, only team that wouldda wooped man u is real

ReputationRep:
    Absolute disgrace for me. Players and managers should be ashamed of themselves.

Really disappointing season for United. Any team that wins 25 of their first 30 games should be something special. We had a great chance to win the treble. Should have seen out the home game against Madrid, we didn't do that and went out. Ferguson hasn't won enough Champions League trophies for me. Then against Chelsea, 2-0 up at half time...should be guaranteed, but no, and we were poor in the replay.

The tonight, no good attacking play, City by far the better team what a disgrace.

Ferguson has got to understand that after a trophy less season winning the Premier League title is the BARE MINIMUM that I expect. It becomes a case of what else can you do. Can you win two, three?

Losing back to back to Chelsea and City is disgraceful when you are top of the league. Not worthy Champions for me, only there because of how poor City have been.

Needs a serious clean out in Summer. Valencia got to be gone, awful all season. Welbeck, not United quality for me. I'd consider selling Rooney to be honest, he's lost the plot, just was just 90 minutes of anger tonight. As for van Persie...he's been a flop for me, great players consistently score all season, not score till February then the goals dry up.

I'm truly embarrassed by my club tonight. Wouldn't surprise me if we lost this title as well. Winning it now means nothing. It should have been the chance to put City to bed, 18 points, show them who is boss. They beat us home and away on the way to the title, why can't we do the same? Winning the title this year after losing at home to City will be like continuing in a relationship with a girl despite you knowing she has slept with your best friend. No pride, and no balls.

Season's finished for me. I'm so angry I could punch a window. As Manchester United fan you expect BIG things. We'll never win another home game against City.
    Just read this as I was going through the thread and I have to say that this is just disgraceful. You sound like the biggest glory-supporter there is, I bet you've never even been to a game ! How can you say fergie should have won more champions league titles, that man is a god and ill be forever grateful to the memories he has provided me with over the years .

Losing the title to City was horrible on the last day of the season, I've felt no worse feeling. If someone would have said there and then youll win the league next year I'd have bit there hand off ! We're 12 clear and I'm over the moon, yeah we lost to City and I was gutted , and I was at the game something you might want to try for yourself, I don't want people like you supporting this great football club, as you are everything that is wrong with a certain section of our fans

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.