Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sister caught on speed camera and has no license. What will happen? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitesky)
    If she was caught then the DVLA will send you a form to declare who was driving. In that section would be where you state your sister was driving when the offence was committed. As far as I am aware they do not ask who was supervising on the form.

Provided on the image captured it is not obvious that there is no supervising licence holder beside her, that could be the end of it and she recieves the points and fine on her licence.

It depends whether or not you did allow your sister to use your vehicle at the time. Section 87(2) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 states "It is an offence for a person to cause or permit another person to drive on a road a motor vehicle of any class if that other person is not the holder of a licence authorising him to drive a motor vehicle of that class".

You could be acquitted if you were unaware as you did not permit her to drive your vehicle at the time - this would have to be proven.

May I ask how many days ago your sister believed herself to be caught?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    About 12 days ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsCourtney)
    About 12 days ago.
    Chances are she has been lucky enough to be caught by a camera without film. They still flash, but obviously you are not caught. Wait a few more days (3), and if you do not hear by then she has most likely got away with it.

Just make sure she doesn't drive your car without a supervising licence holder beside her again, and tell her to try not to speed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitesky)
    Chances are she has been lucky enough to be caught by a camera without film. They still flash, but obviously you are not caught. Wait a few more days (3), and if you do not hear by then she has most likely got away with it.

Just make sure she doesn't drive your car without a supervising licence holder beside her again, and tell her to try not to speed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That would be awesome if it were a camera without film or something! She isn't driving my car anymore since the incident.

ReputationRep:
    That would be awesome if it were a camera without film or something! She isn't driving my car anymore since the incident.
    She's fine to carry on driving it if she wants to and you don't mind her using your car again so long as she abides to the conditions of her provisional.

& yes, it would be quite convenient for you. It has been for me in the past

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Would they bother checking if I take the blame whether I was really driving?
    Unless they have a specific image of you on a speed camera, in which case they wouldn't ask you to confirm if you were the driver, they'd tell you that they knew you were the driver and demand you pay the fixed penalty.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    But then she would have a criminal record in the UK.
    Well tough luck maybe your sister should have thought of that before she drove the car before she passes her test. Dear me I hope they through the book at her and you if you did let her drive her car. I am not being horrible but I do wonder if it was really you driving the car and you are saying it is your sister to avoid more backlash?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goody2Shoes-x)
    Unless they have a specific image of you on a speed camera, in which case they wouldn't ask you to confirm if you were the driver, they'd tell you that they knew you were the driver and demand you pay the fixed penalty.
    So since we look alike, could it happen that they say they know its me? If so what should I do?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    What makes you think you or your family are above the law? How dare you insult every law abiding citizen who treats others with respect.

I find it astonishing and quite deplorable that people first disregard the law and then want to commit perjury to evade accountability.

Road traffic law's are there for very good reason: to protect innocent people from the consequences of other peoples reckless and dangerous behaviour.

The law's come about because in the past, many people have died, suffered serious loss and have had their lives irrevocably changed because of that behaviour. The statistics for people breaking the traffic laws like speeding and insurance are the ones who are most likely to be involved in fatal accidents

Punishment is there to deter the seemingly minor-crime but which can have devastating consequences: for the guilty to make amends by rehabilitation: showing genuine remorse, altering their attitude and behaviour so that lives can be saved.

Which is why perjury is such a serious crime and will definitely carry a custodial sentence.

You and your sister need to grow a backbone, grow up big time and stop being so utterly selfish. TELL THE TRUTH AND ACCEPT THE PUNISHMENT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    What makes you think you or your family are above the law? How dare you insult every law abiding citizen who treats others with respect.

I find it astonishing and quite deplorable that people first disregard the law and then want to commit perjury to evade accountability.

Road traffic law's are there for very good reason: to protect innocent people from the consequences of other peoples reckless and dangerous behaviour.

The law's come about because in the past, many people have died, suffered serious loss and have had their lives irrevocably changed because of that behaviour. The statistics for people breaking the traffic laws like speeding and insurance are the ones who are most likely to be involved in fatal accidents

Punishment is there to deter the seemingly minor-crime but which can have devastating consequences: for the guilty to make amends by rehabilitation: showing genuine remorse, altering their attitude and behaviour so that lives can be saved.

Which is why perjury is such a serious crime and will definitely carry a custodial sentence.

You and your sister need to grow a backbone, grow up big time and stop being so utterly selfish. TELL THE TRUTH AND ACCEPT THE PUNISHMENT.
    Ok I get the point, she has stopped driving my car without a qualified driver at her side. She actually has a Canadian license (Left Hand Drive) so its not like she is someone who can't drive or anything.

She won't drive alone until she gets her full license.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Ok I get the point, she has stopped driving my car without a qualified driver at her side. She actually has a Canadian license (Left Hand Drive) so its not like she is someone who can't drive or anything.

She won't drive alone until she gets her full license.
    That's good to hear. However it's you who is contemplating the perjury.

The risk is that you get found out and you will then be held accountable for a far more serious crime. Your sister will still be done for her misdemeanors, you will both go on trial in court and you will go to prison, have to pay hefty legal costs and a fine, both will have a criminal record and for what?

She was irresponsible, took your car without permission, drove without insurance on a provisional licence and was caught speeding. That's four laws broken. Clearly the previous points and fine have not deterred her.

Yes it will cause inconvenience, but then that's exactly what the punishment is supposed to do.

A false declaration is simply not worth the risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    That's good to hear. However it's you who is contemplating the perjury.

The risk is that you get found out and you will then be held accountable for a far more serious crime. Your sister will still be done for her misdemeanors, you will both go on trial in court and you will go to prison, have to pay hefty legal costs and a fine, both will have a criminal record and for what?

She was irresponsible, took your car without permission, drove without insurance on a provisional licence and was caught speeding. That's four laws broken. Clearly the previous points and fine have not deterred her.

Yes it will cause inconvenience, but then that's exactly what the punishment is supposed to do.

A false declaration is simply not worth the risk.
    I won't be committing perjury. If a notice comes to identify the driver, I will say she was driving. She has no previous points, its me who has those.

If I get told to pay a fine without them asking me to name the driver, I will pay it.
    If nothing comes (13 days have already passed), then we will thank our luck and never do such stuff again.

ReputationRep:
    I won't be committing perjury. If a notice comes to identify the driver, I will say she was driving. She has no previous points, its me who has those.

If I get told to pay a fine without them asking me to name the driver, I will pay it.
    If nothing comes (13 days have already passed), then we will thank our luck and never do such stuff again.
    Please never reproduce for the good of humanity either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabian92)
    Please never reproduce for the good of humanity either.
    How discriminatory can you get?

Not that I am a criminal or something but even if I was would it be fair to judge my children based on that.

I had a very abusive father who is currently in jail in Canada for multiple crimes against my family and other people. Would it be fair if people told me I hate you because your father was a ****?

Besides how does the post you quoted show that I have any malicious intent. I said I would name the driver if asked.

ReputationRep:
    How discriminatory can you get?

Not that I am a criminal or something but even if I was would it be fair to judge my children based on that.

I had a very abusive father who is currently in jail in Canada for multiple crimes against my family and other people. Would it be fair if people told me I hate you because your father was a ****?

Besides how does the post you quoted show that I have any malicious intent. I said I would name the driver if asked.
    You also said you were willing to commit perjury, so perhaps criminality runs in the family. It certainly does with your sister.

My dad is an ass as well but I don't blame my failings on him.

ReputationRep:
    You also said you were willing to commit perjury, so perhaps criminality runs in the family. It certainly does with your sister.

I am not willing to commit prejury and will not do so as I said that if asked to name the driver, I will do so.

ReputationRep:
    I did work experience in my local magistrates court recently, and there was someone, like your sister, who was driving without valid insurance, and only with a provisional license (they found out as he was caught speeding). He didn't show up to his court date, so the Magistrate added a failure to show on the proceedings, and issued a warrant to appear at the Magistrates Court...

If they do that to your sister, she won't get out of the UK as her passport / name will be flagged at the airport I believe, because there is a warrant to appear.

ReputationRep:

Are you telling me you have never considered, aware or unaware, of committing any criminal offence? We are only human and of course the thought would cross her mind otherwise there would be less of a need for the law to be in place - her sister is her family so it is natural for her to want to protect and help her.
    Let us not be so judgemental - she does not need to further justify her actions and thought processes to strangers on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    I am not willing to commit prejury and will not do so as I said that if asked to name the driver, I will do so.
    The internet doesn't lie. You said earlier in the thread that you'd be willing to lie so your sister doesn't end up being banned.

ReputationRep:
    The internet doesn't lie. You said earlier in the thread that you'd be willing to lie so your sister doesn't end up being banned.
    Well after thinking about it, I changed my mind. I have told my sister that although she may use the car, she is responsible for whatever happens because of that as I don't support such stuff. She also had not told be she was taking the car for this particular incident.

ReputationRep:
    Just please stay in Canada if you move.

Britain can do with 2 less idiots like you and your sister.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.