Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smudge_moon)
    When you get off the bus do you say thank you to the driver? Where I live everyone does it as the get off, but when I went to Bristol to visit my cousin, everyone just ignored the driver and made no conversation or anything.
    That's because in Bristol you're supposed to say "cheers Drive"

At least in my area of Bristol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scherzi)
    south london

at night when nobody else on the bus: T-th-thanks..
    The rest of the time: Nope
    hahhahahahahahahahahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milostar)
    That's because in Bristol you're supposed to say "cheers Drive"

At least in my area of Bristol
    hah, thats odd you say that, someone said it as we all got off the bus the other day

ReputationRep:
    When you get off the bus do you say thank you to the driver? Where I live everyone does it as the get off, but when I went to Bristol to visit my cousin, everyone just ignored the driver and made no conversation or anything.
    I had an interview in Sheffield a couple of months ago. We (fellow interviewees) were remarking how everyone says thank you to the driver. Even saw one mum telling her toddler to say thank you - they train them young up there!

ReputationRep:
    I always say thank you; I'd feel like I was being rude if I didn't. Most other people say thank you as well.

I haven't travelled on buses in many big cities (just when I've been to uni interviews and open days), but when I did I thanked the driver. Although I didn't notice as many other people doing the same maybe more people are just in a hurry to get off the bus and get to wherever they need to be.

ReputationRep:
    no, why should i say thank you to him? its his job.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowcopter)
    I don't, no one does in London. I've honestly never seen anyone say thanks to a bus driver.
    I am another London resident that thanks the driver as well, see/hear plenty of people of do it. Odd that you've never seen it!

ReputationRep:

On a side note, does anyone else find it really annoying when people don't pick up their litter on the bus -.- I was coming home from town when the seat across from me had so much litter on it. I've attached a photo and when I took it most of the empty bottles and stuff had fallen on the floor and rolled around by then, but still. The crisps were only half eaten and there was loads left in the packet and it's such a waste, take it with you!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For me, it essentially depends on how busy the bus is and what area you are in.

When the bus is quiet on the lower deck, I always say thank you, or mostly raise my hands as if to say bye and thanks before exiting. It makes the drivers feel appreciated.

But on busier routes where there are quite a few people getting on/off or if it's difficult to make eye contact through the mirror, I just walk out like most people. Generally, on busier routes the driver doesn't give a poop about your thank you and has had enough of driving and putting up with the sh** his passengers give him (usually school kids who just walk on and refuse to pay) and the constant stopping/starting and traffic he has to deal with. This is generally the norm in busy London areas.

I just watched this yesterday:

ReputationRep:
    I say thank you if the bus driver doesn't drive like a noob- either really slow, or gangnam style fast.

Litter on the bus isn't cool, no-one likes to sit next to someones finished congealing kebab, people who do it are just lazy.

Another thing that gets on my nerves on buses is when people smoker, it's just so disrespectful, especially on a cold, rainy day when all the windows have to remain shut.
    I respect the fact that you have the right to smoke, but not on the bus as it isn't fair that everyone has to breathe in such potent smoke.

ReputationRep:
    It's 50/50 in Birmingham I'd say, I always do it personally.

ReputationRep:
    I say thank you for the bus, when someone opens the door or keeps it open, when i buy stuff at the shop, although I have to say these shopkeepers don't say thank you back.

ReputationRep:
    In London people hardly say thank you, but up North where I study people say thank you. Now whenever I'm back in London I say thank you, it's only polite and some bus drivers appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    I say thank you to the bus driver when I get my ticket and when I get off, so do the majority of people in my area.

I will say this though, there is one time that I won't say thank you to a driver and it is if they have been especially rude to me. For some reason, a few drivers where I live hate young people and I've been scowled at/had eyes rolled at me quite a few times for absolutely no reason as I am always respectful to the driver but if they don't have the courtesy to return that respect then I don't really see the point in saying thank you. Might be seen as childish but this is rare as most of my bus drivers are fine

And I really do hate when people just leave litter on a bus. There are bins dotted all over the place, and most of the time there is one nearby a bus stop so why can't they just bin it when they get off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icnthelpit)
    I say thankyou normally. But on London buses I don't, purely cause you get off a different door and I'd be self conscious shouting thankyou down a bus.
    I know exactly what you mean. It's different up North. But despite the style of the buses (very few) people still say thank you in London as they are getting off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    Also London has a faster paced lifestyle than these rural villiages people are citing from. Saying thanks to bus drivers in London?? Ain't nobody got time for that. :awesome:

Also a site somewhere said that central London has one of the highest average walking speeds in the world. :eek:

I can imagine this is true, cause try doodling along at a tube station during rushhour, everyone will just sail past you.
    Exactly. :ahee: People in London are too busy rush off that they don't think to say thank you. :mad:

And yes, travelling during rush hour is absolute madness. People care more about getting from A to B. :mad: You have to be really quick and efficient. I always have my Oyster card/ticket AT THE READY.

ReputationRep:
    I always say thank you if I feel that the driver deserves it. If the bus driver's huffed at having to give me 30 pence change and driven off before I get a chance to sit down, then I personally don't feel obliged to say thank you for poor service.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers, drive.

ReputationRep:
    I used to either say 'Cheers' or 'Thanks'.
    Everyone used to thank the driver.
    But I don't use the buses any more.

ReputationRep:
    I've never understood why we are meant to say thank you, even though I still do it. It is their job after all, they are not doing it for you, they haven't gone out of their way to drive you about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowcopter)
    I don't, no one does in London. I've honestly never seen anyone say thanks to a bus driver.
    No offence, but I find London to be a very dark place compared to a lot of places. So hectic. Everyone is running around. I don't feel any love when I'm there to visit friends to be honest.

Saying thank you isn't hard and it may make them feel better. Bus drivers have feelings too, and they may be feeling low or anything. You just don't know.
    If they aren't very nice though, then no.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.