Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Cancer Chat Thread- share and care :) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm fuming, seriously seriously pissed off right now. When I took the phone call yesterday, the woman kept asking to speak to my mum. I had to keep telling her she wasn't in. So she told me to come in tomorrow (as in today) at 2.30, and the room and the name of the doctor. The only thing I didn't remember is the name of the woman calling (I'm notoriously bad at remembering the name of who called). But I DEFINITELY heard her say tomorrow, 2.30 AND I repeated the details back more than once, as you should, because I don't like being unsure. I also wrote it down. So I go in today, the day of the appointment, and there's some confusion and eventually this woman who called (the doctor's assistant) comes out and says she said Thursday and I'd got it wrong and this is why she wanted to talk to my mum, and check it with her. I'm 22 years old for ****s sake, I could live with my husband and children at my age for all she knows, but she was treating me as if I was a kid and talking down to me. I KNOW she didn't say Thursday, or the day after tomorrow. She said tomorrow. I don't want to deal with someone so condescending. I don't want to see her face tomorrow, or ever again really.

/rant
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Urgh. Really upset now. Originally, we were told Granddad has 2 years to live. They've now said one and he now has lung cancer. He's currently in hospital because he's not eating and they want to fit a peg and stent in. (stent is to widen his throat so he can have something to drink and his medication)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Urgh. Really upset now. Originally, we were told Granddad has 2 years to live. They've now said one and he now has lung cancer. He's currently in hospital because he's not eating and they want to fit a peg and stent in. (stent is to widen his throat so he can have something to drink and his medication)
    I'm sorry to hear about your grandad

Sometimes, not eating could also just be a reaction to the treatment, which can cause nausea, mouth blisters and lack of appetite. He would not be placed on a peg or a stent if they did not think he had a fair chance of survival
    I don't want to give you false hope but from an optimistic view, we have had plenty of people on palliative care come to us (I work in a nursing home) from the hospital, being told they only have a few months to live, who are still with us 5 years on and up walking around!

Nutrition and fluid is key to recovery - You can get high calorie drinks (such as fresubin) which is fantastic, particularly when solid foods are becoming difficult to eat.

Sorry if it's not really what you were hoping to hear, i just thought i'd share a little of my experiences/knowledge i have picked up from working with the elderly. The best people to talk to, for support and advice, would be macmillan - they have some fantastic people! http://www.macmillan.org.uk/HowWeCan...WeCanHelp.aspx

Stay strong! I wish you both the best x
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemonzaz)
    I'm sorry to hear about your grandad

Sometimes, not eating could also just be a reaction to the treatment, which can cause nausea, mouth blisters and lack of appetite. He would not be placed on a peg or a stent if they did not think he had a fair chance of survival
    I don't want to give you false hope but from an optimistic view, we have had plenty of people on palliative care come to us (I work in a nursing home) from the hospital, being told they only have a few months to live, who are still with us 5 years on and up walking around!

Nutrition and fluid is key to recovery - You can get high calorie drinks (such as fresubin) which is fantastic, particularly when solid foods are becoming difficult to eat.

Sorry if it's not really what you were hoping to hear, i just thought i'd share a little of my experiences/knowledge i have picked up from working with the elderly. The best people to talk to, for support and advice, would be macmillan - they have some fantastic people! http://www.macmillan.org.uk/HowWeCan...WeCanHelp.aspx

Stay strong! I wish you both the best x
    Thank you They've now changed their mind and said they're putting a RIG feeding tube in. Not sure when he'll be home. First of all they said Friday, then tomorrow and now they don't know.

He probably has pneumonia now too.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Urgh. Someone clearly isn't doing their job properly. They think his feeding tube has come out. They realised this after giving him half a pouch of food. So, he probably has food inside his body.

They can't get a needle in and he told them what Oncology do - they put his hands in hot water and then insert the needle. He was given lukewarm water, which doesn't work. He told them this and they just walked off.

He can't reach his bell, so had to phone his wife to get her to phone the hospital and get some pain relief.

We have no idea when he's going to be home now.

ReputationRep:
    Good news for me. My Gfs pet scan came back and the cancer is more or less completlely gone after just 5 sessions of chemo (technically 4 cos the 5th session came after the scan) she's still going to have her last 7 to finish it off for sure but as of now it's good times!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue n white army)
    Good news for me. My Gfs pet scan came back and the cancer is more or less completlely gone after just 5 sessions of chemo (technically 4 cos the 5th session came after the scan) she's still going to have her last 7 to finish it off for sure but as of now it's good times!
    That's fantastic!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Some good news from me:

Granddad is doing really well. He often tries to go out for walks to keep his strength up. And he's eating proper (ie, not mashed up) food.

ReputationRep:
    Urgh. Someone clearly isn't doing their job properly. They think his feeding tube has come out. They realised this after giving him half a pouch of food. So, he probably has food inside his body.

They can't get a needle in and he told them what Oncology do - they put his hands in hot water and then insert the needle. He was given lukewarm water, which doesn't work. He told them this and they just walked off.

He can't reach his bell, so had to phone his wife to get her to phone the hospital and get some pain relief.

We have no idea when he's going to be home now.
    I'm sorry you had this experience. I'm assuming they took more than two attempts to get a cannula in? Sometimes, getting a cannula in especially in elderly people is notoriously difficult. People who put them in very regularly (ie. anaesthetists) will be good at them. The vast majority of doctors however are quite average at getting one in and will take a few attempts if veins are readily palpable. Feeding tubes fall out on occasion too.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I just wanted to pop in to give you all my best wishes. Cancer is an issue close to my heart as 4 people I was close to have been taken by it.

To anybody currently suffering with cancer themself or who is close to somebody with cancer i'd just like to say there is hope. Although eventually everybody I have known with cancer has died from it, it did not ruin their lives. And i've heard so many heart warming stories about other people's fights with cancer.

My grandad was told he only had a short amount of time to live after he was diagnosed but completely surpassed expectation. He had a lovely holiday and gained some extra quality time with his family.

Likewise, a youth group leader of mine was diagnosed with lung cancer, but despite this, with the help of a wheelchair and oxygen tank, still took us on our regular camping trip and made her way to the top of some very beautiful mountains. She also got married in this time and was, as far as I know, very happy.

Both my grandmothers also had cancer and they managed right to the end. One of them made it long enough to see two of their grandchildren and the other fought right to the end. She was strong and hung in there as long as she could.

They managed to make the most of the time they had left and although it was very difficult for all of us we still managed to make it through and enjoy what time we had together. I have been so inspired by each of them, they changed my life in so many ways and I don't think i'd be the same as I am today if it weren't for their illnesses.

Just because you or somebody you know has cancer (or any illness for that matter) it does not mean everything is over! Fight until you can fight no more and enjoy every moment you can. Cancer is not the end and although in my case everybody was eventually taken by it, not everyone is. It's becoming less and less fatal due to research and awarness and nowadays you actually have a pretty good chance of living through it.
    It's a struggle, but it's one that can also provide inspiration. Please make the most of every moment you can and don't be afraid. What will be will eventually be, but you get to decide what happens till then! xx

And a final note to anybody in mourning, it feels so impossible to believe that it gets better, but trust me it does. After time you forget about the pain. You will never forget about them, they will always be a part of who you are- they shaped you and left a permanent mark in this world thorough everyone they met and everything they did. They will never be truely gone, but eventually you will learn to live without them with you.
    Wether you are religious or not, there is still an element of them in your life and they will always be there for you, be it in heaven or your heart.

Stay strong and keep enjoying life. Try not to dwell on the bad memories, make some good ones and cherish them forever. xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Urgh:

So, Granddad now has a chest infection. He also has lung cancer. He's also ill mentally again - he had the same problem last time he had cancer. (he had mouth and throat cancer 4 years ago, got rid of that and then developed spine and lung cancer last year)

I really do think he doesn't have long to live. Last year, he was two years, then one year and now, no-one knows.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    He's gone.

ReputationRep:
    He's gone.
    I'm really sorry for your loss.

ReputationRep:
    He's gone.
    I'm sorry to hear that. Despite how ill someone is, you never think it will really happen. Hoping you and your family are doing okay <3
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by syrettd)
    I'm really sorry for your loss.
    Thank you. And thanks Kate.

Syrettd - how's everything going with your treatment?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. And thanks Kate.

Syrettd - how's everything going with your treatment?
    It's going well thank you, I only have two chemo sessions left.

ReputationRep:
    He's gone.
    I'm really sorry to hear that, it's a horrible thing to go through. I hope you're all doing as ok as you can be. Take care x

ReputationRep:
    GF got the all clear, such a relief. Horrible 8 Months

Really sorry for your loss OU
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue n white army)
    GF got the all clear, such a relief. Horrible 8 Months

Really sorry for your loss OU
    Thanks.

That's fantastic news.

Can't believe how long it sort someone out to come and take Granddad's body away. (He died at home) I was asked if I wanted to see his body. The whole idea of that really freaks me out.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    He's gone.
    ugs: sounds like he's done a lot of fighting though. I'd be proud he managed to make it so far.
    Even when you can expect it coming it's still just as hard though. Hope you're coping okay. So sorry for your loss.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 8, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.