Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ffionhanathomas)
    How is everyone getting work experience? I'm finding it really hard to organise some. I've been volunteering at an old people's home for 6 months though, which has been beneficial.
    I'm still in year 10 but I have luckily managed to get 2 weeks worth of work experience at UCL medical school and another 2 weeks at Kingston Hospital. It was such effort but payed off in the end. Try using anyone in your family who works in the medical profession, it is the best way to get work experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g.k.galloway)
    Yeh lol...I've just been looking at it and thinking AAAH!
    I've just been looking at it in year 10 and I was thinking the exact same thing, hoping this test will get easier by the time I get to sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadiex1)
    are you being serious? I found the kaplan ones MUCH easier!!! I got avg of 750+ in all the papers with 2 sections being 900 on some occasions.
    Unless I had a really horrible UKCAT test ? haha!
    the kaplan ones were a little bit easier, but my scores in the practice kaplan ones weren't quite as good as my real thing! you might have had a harder UKCAT, the questions are randomly generated and the probabilities of hard question: easy question ratio is supposed to all be worked out to make it fair but you do hear of some people with a really high rate of the tougher questions (like the longer versions of the coding ones and more obscure abstract shape patterns) it also depends on you on the day and reaction to the pressure/stress. I found the two given on the website absolutely impossible - i got like 500 in both! also the maths bit is way easier than in the 600Q book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ergo30)
    I've just been looking at it in year 10 and I was thinking the exact same thing, hoping this test will get easier by the time I get to sixth form.
    Not to scare you but I expect they'll make it harder It's just been made a little more difficult for us this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeanutButter2000)
    the kaplan ones were a little bit easier, but my scores in the practice kaplan ones weren't quite as good as my real thing! you might have had a harder UKCAT, the questions are randomly generated and the probabilities of hard question: easy question ratio is supposed to all be worked out to make it fair but you do hear of some people with a really high rate of the tougher questions (like the longer versions of the coding ones and more obscure abstract shape patterns) it also depends on you on the day and reaction to the pressure/stress. I found the two given on the website absolutely impossible - i got like 500 in both! also the maths bit is way easier than in the 600Q book
    yeah all of my VR ones were scroll down passages, the maths one were my strongest normally, I do A-level maths and got loads of ones including Pi and stuff :/ did well in AR and the code ones, but really was annoyed about how unfair it is. I think it should be sort of like BMAT where everyone does the same paper the same day.

ReputationRep:
    Wow your stats are amazing, say if i got a UKCAT score of 715 or slightly above 700, would that still be enough?
    Both BSMS and Newcastle are two of my favourite Unis next to UCL.
    it should be! BSMS doesn't even use the UKCAT really, only if you're borderline after interview. Newcastle had a 695ish cut off this year but it normally goes up by 10-20 each year. I don't see how it can really go any higher though, they might do like Sheffield and change policy, going back to a low cut-off and using other results more but i really don't know. just aim as high as possible!

ReputationRep:
    Not to scare you but I expect they'll make it harder It's just been made a little more difficult for us this year.
    I dont think it'll get harder, chances are they use the same lot of questions too, they have thousands and they are used randomly, but they do have a new section this year.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh great, just what we need, a harder UKCAT.
    Looks like I'll have to start preparing for it at the end of year 11 after gcse's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadiex1)
    yeah all of my VR ones were scroll down passages, the maths one were my strongest normally, I do A-level maths and got loads of ones including Pi and stuff :/ did well in AR and the code ones, but really was annoyed about how unfair it is. I think it should be sort of like BMAT where everyone does the same paper the same day.
    wow, I don't remember Pi even come up in mine :/ It certainly didn't feel like an easy one at the time, but you never can tell how yours was compared to others. I think i just happened to cope well on the day too, as in didn't stress out too much/panic, which was unusual for me

ReputationRep:
    Heyy I am in the same boat I'm afraid:no::no:- having a horrible time trying to organise work experience...have you asked at your gp? Or do some volunteering at a charity shop like me
    @ ffionhanathomas sorry dunno why the quote didnt come up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucky20)
    Your gcse grades are great so no problems there-are you predicted Bs at A level? If so this will be problematic as you need AAA minimum prediction to get an interview, unless you have extenuating circumstances. Ask your teachers if they can bump it up to AAA.
    Hey thank you :') and no I am predicted B's in my AS level result and this is because we are doing a linear system at my school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeanutButter2000)
    it should be! BSMS doesn't even use the UKCAT really, only if you're borderline after interview. Newcastle had a 695ish cut off this year but it normally goes up by 10-20 each year. I don't see how it can really go any higher though, they might do like Sheffield and change policy, going back to a low cut-off and using other results more but i really don't know. just aim as high as possible!
    You say BSMS don't even use the UKCAT, so what's most of the selection based on then for BSMS?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ahh great, just what we need, a harder UKCAT.
    Looks like I'll have to start preparing for it at the end of year 11 after gcse's.
    Agree!

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know which med schools hardly/don't look at the ukcat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMan17)
    Does anybody know which med schools hardly/don't look at the ukcat?
    Cardiff doesn't put that much emphasis on it...only if it comes to deciding who to give an offer.

ReputationRep:
    You say BSMS don't even use the UKCAT, so what's most of the selection based on then for BSMS?

Thanks
    AS results and personal statement, they also say they will consider further maths as a separate subject which is nice of them - just aim to get all As as AS really, but i think you can get away with a B or 2. It's largely personal statement i think, the UKCAT is only used to choose between people with the same borderline interview score i think

ReputationRep:
    I'm still in year 10 but I have luckily managed to get 2 weeks worth of work experience at UCL medical school and another 2 weeks at Kingston Hospital. It was such effort but payed off in the end. Try using anyone in your family who works in the medical profession, it is the best way to get work experience.
    Wow you're so lucky! I have doctor relations yet they live in Australia, so I might ask them if they know anyone in the UK. Thank you very much for your advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ffionhanathomas)
    Wow you're so lucky! I have doctor relations yet they live in Australia, so I might ask them if they know anyone in the UK. Thank you very much for your advice
    Hehe My Dad is a surgeon so work experience isn't too much of an issue for me.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe My Dad is a surgeon so work experience isn't too much of an issue for me.
    I envy you so much! I have no connections what so ever

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Officegirl4)
    I envy you so much! I have no connections what so ever

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Did you try and ring up universities?
    They are sometimes willing to give you some clinical experience.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.