Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    lol watch out for your ears popping, that's the only bad part. Other than that, the airport is the most amazing place ever.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Todays the day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin25)
    Todays the day!
    Good luck - have an amazing time and a safe flight!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I have safely arrived in Iceland! Haven't done much yet but sleep since it took 2 buses, a train, a plane and a 40 mile car ride to get here lol. Planning to do all the touristy stuff today and we have whale watching and the golden circle tour tomorrow

As for the flight, I'm not a fan of take off tbh but it wasn't that bad. The worst part was over in a few mins. I wasn't panicking or anything so I was quite pleased lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have safely arrived in Iceland! Haven't done much yet but sleep since it took 2 buses, a train, a plane and a 40 mile car ride to get here lol. Planning to do all the touristy stuff today and we have whale watching and the golden circle tour tomorrow

As for the flight, I'm not a fan of take off tbh but it wasn't that bad. The worst part was over in a few mins. I wasn't panicking or anything so I was quite pleased lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Congratulations! Have a lovely holiday x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I flew for the first time about 2 weeks ago and I was so nervous. I had to get a 2 hour train to manchester airport then we checked in, were given hand luggage tags to put on our bag. Even though Thomas cook are meant to have a limit they never weighed our hand luggage. I hated going through security at manchester, it took AGES. I even had to take my cardigan off. Security wasn't very nice as the security staff seemed really snappy at everyone. It was literally just a door thing that scans your body. I didn't bleep it off despite everyone joking that I would because of how many piercings I have. I saw people set it off and having to be frisked haha. We got out of security and in to the bit with duty free and everything and had about 2 hours to wait until our gate was announced which was annoying. Our flight wasn;t until 7:20am and we hadn't slept all night and everyone seemed to be on the edge of their seat keep checking the board which was annoying because they obviously weren't gonna announce it until nearer the time of the flight.

Shops and stuff through security are very expensive but you can't take your own drinks. When our gate was announced we walked to our gate and had to wait a while. I never actually knew before that you have these tunnel things to board the plane and they'll ask for your boarding pass and show you your seat, you need your passports out and we were a family of 4 but everyone had to hold their own passport. Taking off I was really nervous about and I was nervous as soon as the place started taxi-ing down the runway, we had to wait before taking off as there were a lot of other flights. All of a sudden the plane started moving so fast and it's obvious it's about to take off, it's such a nice feeling then when the plane takes off I felt like I was sinking down in my seat. I loved looking out of the window down on the world. I was flying to Alicante in Spain and when you see how spain looks overhead compared to england it's such a change, it looks soo different.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I fly back home tonight at 8:10pm. I have had an awesome time in Iceland but I am really glad to be heading back today, I miss my cats too much now haha

I'm still gonna hate take off but I will have a few JDs and coke before the flight lol

On the flight here, my boyfriend's ears popped so bad during landing that he thought he burst his eardrums and was almost screaming in pain. I have never heard of people experiencing that on a plane :O I know your ears pop, but nothing like that. I never noticed mine kept popping until I swallowed and could hear better again.

ReputationRep:
    I fly back home tonight at 8:10pm. I have had an awesome time in Iceland but I am really glad to be heading back today, I miss my cats too much now haha

I'm still gonna hate take off but I will have a few JDs and coke before the flight lol

On the flight here, my boyfriend's ears popped so bad during landing that he thought he burst his eardrums and was almost screaming in pain. I have never heard of people experiencing that on a plane :O I know your ears pop, but nothing like that. I never noticed mine kept popping until I swallowed and could hear better again.
    There are three main reasons why that would happen to your boyfriend and it's all pretty simple:

• He didn't equalise the pressure in his ears in time so the pressure differential was large when they finally went, a lot of people do it without even thinking by swallowing and such but if he suffers from it again then he should hold his nose and blow against it through his nose, as if he were 'trying to inflate his head.'
    • If he can't equalise that way or has trouble then chances are he might have a cold or other sinus issue. It is generally inadvisable to fly when you have any sort of respiratory/ nasal problems and definitely when you have fresh fillings in your teeth, the pain from pressure inside your fillings is horrific.
    • He has narrow ear canals which can't equalise the pressure quickly enough, surgery or getting super good at the nose blowing thing is required. This is very unlikely as the first two are the most common.

Practice clearing your ears by the nose blowing thing, you can also help by not being dehydrated or too hung over

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    its so noisy...the powerful jet turbine engines can be heard all the time (unless your on a more advanced plane)
    Also you cant see nothing outside, clouds everywhere.....

also they turn on the air conditioning on purpose to make u feel really cold so you put your blanket on and fall asleep...i mean its nice and all but i am freezing 40,000 ft up in the sky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study beats)
    its so noisy...the powerful jet turbine engines can be heard all the time (unless your on a more advanced plane)
    Also you cant see nothing outside, clouds everywhere.....

also they turn on the air conditioning on purpose to make u feel really cold so you put your blanket on and fall asleep...i mean its nice and all but i am freezing 40,000 ft up in the sky
    You know that you can ask them to turn the temperature up in the cabin right?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    And I am back home in Scotland!

Last nights flight was a lot smoother than the first. My boyfriend's ears were fine this time thankfully.

Flying at night was soo much better. It was really cool looking at all the lights from the cities below

Thanks everyone for your posts. You all helped me remain calm on my first flight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iJess)
    I flew for the first time about 2 weeks ago and I was so nervous. I had to get a 2 hour train to manchester airport then we checked in, were given hand luggage tags to put on our bag. Even though Thomas cook are meant to have a limit they never weighed our hand luggage. I hated going through security at manchester, it took AGES. I even had to take my cardigan off. Security wasn't very nice as the security staff seemed really snappy at everyone.
    UK security staff seem to be the rudest I have encountered, bar the transit guards in Moscow, but perhaps that was the atmosphere of stepping out into a airport terminal that has never really been updated since the days of the Cold War.

Chinese security and border police do have customer services down pat, they even have a little customer services button so you can rate your experience. I've always found them to be polite and efficient, even when one of them suspected I had a fake passport.

Top marks go to the guys at Schiphol Amsterdam though. "Excuse me sir, it it possible I might take a look in your bag" is infinitely preferable to the gruff "Is this your bag? Open it please..." treatment I have received at Doncaster and Stansted. It's not what you say, its the way that you say it.

The reason I was pulled? I always take a UK extension lead with me so I have 4 UK plugs for every EU plug converter and the way it was coiled up around the block made it look funny on the xray machines.

From Schiphol, the security guy said "You know, this is such a good idea, such a good idea I'm surprised we don't see it more often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    Top marks go to the guys at Schiphol Amsterdam though. "Excuse me sir, it it possible I might take a look in your bag" is infinitely preferable to the gruff "Is this your bag? Open it please..." treatment I have received at Doncaster and Stansted. It's not what you say, its the way that you say it.

The reason I was pulled? I always take a UK extension lead with me so I have 4 UK plugs for every EU plug converter and the way it was coiled up around the block made it look funny on the xray machines.

From Schiphol, the security guy said "You know, this is such a good idea, such a good idea I'm surprised we don't see it more often.
    Tbh if someone said 'Excuse me sir, may I take a look in your bag' in the UK they would get the 'F off it's my bag' treatment from a few people. I would say it's better to be authoritative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    You know that you can ask them to turn the temperature up in the cabin right?
    Schleigg can you stop posting, you make me more jealous each time I see your avatar, since I found out what your job was

ReputationRep:
    It's Easyjet, so keep an eye on when the gate is called so that when you are near the front of the queue you and your mum can get good seats together.

ReputationRep:
    A pressurised environment :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Have faith in physics and engineering; the take-off is my favourite part!

ReputationRep:
    It's really loud on the ground, especially during take off, much louder than any train I've been on. I always find it a little bit unsettling being thousands of feet in the air and not really hearing the engines. There will probably be turbulence because of where you're flying but to be honest if you keep yourself occupied it'll feel fairly quick as you're not flying too far. If you're not a nervous then it might be quite a thrill

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    Schleigg can you stop posting, you make me more jealous each time I see your avatar, since I found out what your job was
    :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    For some reason the first time I was on the plane the take-off absolutely terrified me, but the take-offs on planes after that didn't seem to bother me

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.