The Student Room Group

fav alevel subject, why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Well you see you don't need full marks to get full ums :wink:, yh I get it now you've given yourself some leeway :wizard: Well done on your full ums! :woo:
I missed full UMS in Physics this Jan by two marks! xD, got any tips on getting full ums in Physics for rookies like me? :colondollar:

I think scaling marks is really rubbish, I mean it worked out great for physics, but for my mathsI should've got >90 but it got scaled down, so I gotta resit XD
aww, 2 marks, bummer :frown: hhaha I don't have any tips cause I have no idea how I did it, just revised loads I guess? :P
Original post by natninja
There is a very good reason why it isn't there (and why there isn't any quantum)... trust me on this one :P

My fave was further maths.

Quantum, fair enough, but special relativity's not all that difficult mathematically, more conceptually. Besides, the maths isn't even that important at this level - Physics A-level students should at least be aware of some of the concepts in quantum theory (though not necessarily how to derive them or anything).
Original post by srhc24
I think scaling marks is really rubbish, I mean it worked out great for physics, but for my mathsI should've got >90 but it got scaled down, so I gotta resit XD
aww, 2 marks, bummer :frown: hhaha I don't have any tips cause I have no idea how I did it, just revised loads I guess? :P

I think that's because people tend to do much better in maths than in physics since maths is 'easier' :tongue: (answers are always clear-cut). What score did you get in C3? I'm guessing it was still an A :wink:
Yh what can I do? :redface: I try to look on the bright side; you could look at it as 2% empty or you can look at it as 98% full! :biggrin:
Biology; beautiful subject.
Reply 164
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
I think that's because people tend to do much better in maths than in physics since maths is 'easier' :tongue: (answers are always clear-cut). What score did you get in C3? I'm guessing it was still an A :wink:
Yh what can I do? :redface: I try to look on the bright side; you could look at it as 2% empty or you can look at it as 98% full! :biggrin:

I find physics way easier! but maybe that's cause it's OCR... :P
I got 88 in C3, hopefully push that to 95 in June XD
haha well 98% is incredibly impressive, so 2% empty isn't really pessimistic in any way :wink:
Original post by srhc24
I find physics way easier! but maybe that's cause it's OCR... :P
I got 88 in C3, hopefully push that to 95 in June XD
haha well 98% is incredibly impressive, so 2% empty isn't really pessimistic in any way :wink:

Wooo! I'm with OCR too! :biggrin: Is it OCR A or OCR B? :beard: Maybe you find it easier cos you enjoy it more? :K: :P
Aww, 2 points away from A*! :frown:, I'm sure you will :smile:
Thanks :h: but nowhere near the standards you've set though :colondollar:
Reply 166
Has to be Psychology!
Such an interesting subject, and easy to get good grades in if you try.😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Robbie242
I despise Edexcel for everything apart from maths, for history they expect candidates to pick 1 key thing out of the source, and if you don't (but make other good judgements) you go from an A to a C hmmph

what is physics like at as and a2 because I'm enjoying at the moment as gcse level but I'm not sure whether to choose it or not but I kinda want to do it because its meant to be really hard and I want to challenge myself !
I took English Lit, History and Philosophy at A level, and absolutely LOVED philosophy. I was convinced before college that I was going to take English at university but it only took a few lessons in philosophy for me to change my mind. I'm now going to start a philosophy course in September :biggrin: Admittedly, it did get very difficult at A2 simply due to the amount of content that had to be memorised, but it was all so interesting! I kind of wish I'd kept up biology or geography though as a more scientific A level, but oh well... I can't wait to start uni :tongue:
Original post by Bella-emma
I HATE maths. :mad: find it soo boring

One does not simply insult Maths on an internet forum.
Original post by Robbie242
Kingdom hearts and maths? where are girls like you in the world :wink:

Haha I thought I saw you on this thread, you've changed your picture :tongue: And who DOESN'T like maths?!! XD
Original post by srhc24
hahah! I don't think it's sad, I find it sad that there are people who don't like maths :P

That's very true! I don't understand why someone wouldn't love maths :confused:
Original post by wrexhamfc
Quantum, fair enough, but special relativity's not all that difficult mathematically, more conceptually. Besides, the maths isn't even that important at this level - Physics A-level students should at least be aware of some of the concepts in quantum theory (though not necessarily how to derive them or anything).

Special relativity isn't too bad but you need to know about tensors to really do it properly or 4-vectors and matrices at the very least
Original post by srhc24
sometimes it's good to find things difficult, it makes you work harder, for me that subject is chemistry, it's the hardest thing I've ever done so I tend to do more work for it and it always benefits me :P
what modules are you doing for f maths?

FP2, M3 and D1
Original post by Anime Lover
Yeah it's awesome and really fun but I assumed it would be more of a challenge :tongue:

it is a challenge ...
Original post by eilish1903
Im doing AQA for my sciences. The mark schemes arent that harsh. I think if u know what ur doin and uv put the hours in then aqa is easy... Having said that, i was putting in two-three hours a day in for chemistry before my unit one exam and was getting High Bs and As in mocks... I got a U in January. This time I'm failing properly. I've not opened my chemistry book since the unit 1 exam. I got a U in my ISA. I turn up to all my lessons but i dont focus and i dont do the work. Chemistry is torture.
I flopped everythin tbh but i genuinly have a good excuse for flopping physics. Threw up in the exam. Not in the actual exam room. Ran out first - then threw up :ahee:
Got a u in maths coz i just didnt bother revising for it. If i was doin a past paper and a question was too hard i just opened my bioligy book coz i know its something easy that I'll get right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what? so your underpeforming in all your subjects?.....it seems as if your finding them really tough....i have only been flopping physics though...
Original post by study beats
it is a challenge ...

I guess everyone is different. I find it quite easy, but maths and f maths are the only subjects I feel really confident about, I'm dreading all of my other exams XD
I guess everyone is different. I find it quite easy, but maths and f maths are the only subjects I feel really confident about, I'm dreading all of my other exams XD

u must be flawless at maths then.....
Original post by study beats
u must be flawless at maths then.....

Not really, I dropped 3 raw marks on my f maths exam and 4 raw marks on my C4 in January, I was pretty happy though :smile: I'm more worried about physics, I love it and I'm good at it but the mark schemes are awful and I drop marks for not putting in key words :frown:
Not really, I dropped 3 raw marks on my f maths exam and 4 raw marks on my C4 in January, I was pretty happy though :smile: I'm more worried about physics, I love it and I'm good at it but the mark schemes are awful and I drop marks for not putting in key words :frown:

3-4 raw marks....your worried about losing three or four marks only?....come on, some people are crying they lose 20 or more marks, how do you think they feel?

Quick Reply

Latest