Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flobie)
    Nothing wrong with women's only gyms or sessions, but the point is, men had to pay the same membership fees at this particular gym, only to have limited use compared to women, which is unfair.

If you go to a mixed gym, expect to exercise with men and women, don't moan about it. If you don't like it, find a single-sex gym or buy your own equipment.
    Your view is more balanced and is unfortunately not shared by many people who are against women's-only. My points (1 and 2) address the claims made by loads of people who object to these women-only sessions, not because it restricts their membership usage, but because they're against all forms of gender segregation, which seem sexist, discriminatory and abstractedly and fundamentally wrong to them. These people will complain even if I chose to access a single-sex gym because it is sexist.

That's just an excuse anyway - three or four hours a week for women only isn't going to really affect any of the male members. It is common that swimming pools have juniors' only or beginners' only swimming sessions - nobody complains about these even though they restrict the time allowed by other members.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aldanyh)
    Your view is more balanced and is unfortunately not shared by many people who are against women's-only. My points (1 and 2) address the claims made by loads of people who object to these women-only sessions, not because it restricts their membership usage, but because they're against all forms of gender segregation, which seem sexist, discriminatory and abstractedly and fundamentally wrong to them. These people will complain even if I chose to access a single-sex gym because it is sexist.

That's just an excuse anyway - three or four hours a week for women only isn't going to really affect any of the male members. It is common that swimming pools have juniors' only or beginners' only swimming sessions - nobody complains about these even though they restrict the time allowed by other members.
    I personally don't see why exercising with the opposite sex is an issue (I recently spent 2 weeks training with a guy and thanks to him I pushed myself way harder) but yeah, if people want to work out separately then fine.

But actually those few hours a week can have an impact! A lot of people at the gym come at a set time because of work etc, so coming at the only time they can, only to find they can't use the gym on the basis that they have a penis, despite paying exactly the same membership fees, isn't fair.

Swimming is different, they usually separate off one or two lanes for the lessons and let everyone else use the rest of the pool, rather than blocking off the entire pool so that nobody looks at the children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tnetennba)
    I would hardly say "showing off their figures" constitutes "flirting"... Plus a load of giggling old women are incomparable to a person twice your size leering at you.

I understand that you've received aggro from women at the gym - but at the end of the day, the opposite situation occurs far more frequently, hence the current arrangements many gyms have. Gyms aren't innately sexist, they organise themselves in a way to keep more members, but the increased income from a higher number of memberships must outweigh the increased expenditure (e.g. from holding male-only classes). Evidently far more women (than men) benefit from having their own section as the structure of many gyms reflect this
    No, you are wrong and when I say showing off their figures I mean giving men a wiggle and flirting with them basiclaly "look at me", I have no idea where you have the idea of "twice your size" comes from as if a woman works out a lot she will hardly be petite just like men who go to gym dont all look like bodybuilders.

Can I see the evidence of your claim that it occurs more frequently towards women?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    No, you are wrong and when I say showing off their figures I mean giving men a wiggle and flirting with them basiclaly "look at me", I have no idea where you have the idea of "twice your size" comes from as if a woman works out a lot she will hardly be petite just like men who go to gym dont all look like bodybuilders.

Can I see the evidence of your claim that it occurs more frequently towards women?
    If you don't understand where "twice your size" comes from I highly suggest you venture out to a gay bar.

And the evidence lies in the fact that gyms have bothered to implement female-only hours/zones, sweetheart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tnetennba)
    If you don't understand where "twice your size" comes from I highly suggest you venture out to a gay bar.

And the evidence lies in the fact that gyms have bothered to implement female-only hours/zones, sweetheart
    So in other words you have none, ha.

All the "evidence" that shows is that females may be more insecure not that men are harassing women.

Women are not all small fragile objects so men are not automatically twice their size, all you seem to do is talk stereotypes which just hurt womens causes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.