Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monkeyooh)
    I think the main thing is that it is part of the terrible aspect of our society thats destroying communities and making us into a bunch of competitive individuals. What happened to looking after people around you and taking care of people. Now were all just looking out for our selves. Luxury ruins everything. The problem is people forget that were all the same and when you take care of each other it makes the world a much happier place to be in. I'm not criticising any particular individuals, just the concepts that govern us
    Did it take you a year to think of your response to this thread?

Surely providing rental accommodation is looking after others who would otherwise be homeless as they can't afford to buy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Purchase to rent essentially reduces the amount of properties that are available for live-in ownership. Increased scarcity in property forces demand and prices up. What I'm saying, in very un-erudite words, is that if fewer people bought to rent, far far more people would own live-in property. You might argue that there will always be people that want to rent, but it's not really the point I'm making: the housing situation in the UK at the moment is such that it is extremely disadvantageous to rent compared to buying.
    Which suggests that despite high house prices there is even more of a shortage of rented property?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mair18919)
    Which suggests that despite high house prices there is even more of a shortage of rented property?
    Three years for....that...??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.