Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Zaphod77)
    Thank you! I'm trying to relax, I have biscuits to help with that, I just hope I don't get confused between East and West like I did on one past paper Silly mistakes get me every time...
    Yeah, if in doubt I just draw some axises and go from that, although the question will normally inform you of which way is what.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by nukethemaly)
    I feel you, I feel you.
    Yeah, doesn't help that I've got 46 questions to do tonight as they're due in tomorrow and I've left them until now, not too good really :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    Well I wouldn't be fooled as its the only one that you can't use a calculator in, so most of the silly mistakes will mainly be arithmetic ones, so just make sure you're extremely careful when answering the questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I always am.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by krishkmistry)
    cheers mate,really appreciate this you too for the f321 and your other exams ps if you still need help then I'm free for f321 - just haven't gone on here for a bit - also do you know what the rough mark is on C1 for 100 or 90 UMS ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just happy to help really and I've been attempting all questions so far and got them right, I've got a mock this Thursday too but I'll let you know if I need some assistance and sorry but I'm not too sure, maybe someone else would be able to given you a rough answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    I didn't realise that Edexcel hadn't made the markscheme yet
    The problem is the number of possible alternatives a lot of questions have. For example, take this question (From Edexcel C3 Jan 2013):

Find the exact value of  (sin22.5+cos22.5)^2

The expected method:

(sin22.5+cos22.5)^2 = sin^2 22.5 + cos^2 22.5 +2sin22.5cos22.5

= 1 + sin45

= 1 + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}

The method I used:

(sin22.5+cos22.5)^2 = (\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{2}cos45} + \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2}cos  45})^2

=  1+ 2 \sqrt{\frac{1}{4}-\frac{1}{4}cos^2 45 }

= 1 + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}

(A note to be taken from this. No matter how crazy your method is, if it's correct and a specific one hasn't been asked for you can't be marked down. I like to think that reading this on my paper made an examiner somewhere laugh.)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, doesn't help that I've got 46 questions to do tonight as they're due in tomorrow and I've left them until now, not too good really :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    but hey the silver lining is you don't have exams tomorrow!

and you can always just say that you've done them but forgot to bring them in, to just buy some time. BUT GET TO IT!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Wick3d)
    I always am.
    That's okay then, I was always quite careless and tried to do several stages in my head to save the amount of writing I did, didn't really pay off though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just happy to help really and I've been attempting all questions so far and got them right, I've got a mock this Thursday too but I'll let you know if I need some assistance and sorry but I'm not too sure, maybe someone else would be able to given you a rough answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Anyone know the approx raw mark needed for 100 or 90 UMS on the paper ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    but hey the silver lining is you don't have exams tomorrow!

and you can always just say that you've done them but forgot to bring them in, to just buy some time. BUT GET TO IT!
    Well I've actually got my M1 exam tomorrow, so yeah should be fun and I can't do that as I feel it's wrong to lie, I'll just start them in a little while and surely they can't take too long

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    The problem is the number of possible alternatives a lot of questions have. For example, take this question (From Edexcel C3 Jan 2013):

The expected method:

= 1 + sin45

= 1 + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}

The method I used:

(sin22.5+cos22.5)^2 = (\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{2}cos45} + \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2}cos  45})^2

= 1 + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}

(A note to be taken from this. No matter how crazy your method is, if it's correct and a specific one hasn't been asked for you can't be marked down. I like to think that reading this on my paper made an examiner somewhere laugh.)
    Lol, I was joking of course, but I learnt yesterday that in C1 I could have differentiated the circle instead of fiddling with radii, tangents and normals, though I did the former just to check.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    There's a limit as to how you can amuse yourself for an hour after you've finished an exam.

ReputationRep:
    Well I've actually got my M1 exam tomorrow, so yeah should be fun and I can't do that as I feel it's wrong to lie, I'll just start them in a little while and surely they can't take too long

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay maybe no silver linings for you. Good luck tomorrow! I did mine in Jan, 96 UMS because I'm a boss (mostly just hardworking)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Okay maybe no silver linings for you. Good luck tomorrow! I did mine in Jan, 96 UMS because I'm a boss (mostly just hardworking)
    Yeah, but it's my own darn fault really, so I can't complain that much and very nice score! I'm hoping that I can get 100 UMS or something incredibly close to it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but it's my own darn fault really, so I can't complain that much and very nice score! I'm hoping that I can get 100 UMS or something incredibly close to it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    On TSR, getting 100% in an exam seems to be the metaphorical equivalent of joining the mile high club...
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    On TSR, getting 100% in an exam seems to be the metaphorical equivalent of joining the mile high club...
    I'm not sure if I understood that correctly, isn't it appreciated on here?

ReputationRep:
    For M1 Vectors - Can someone please confirm if this is correct: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...&postcount=219

Thank you.

ReputationRep:

The expected method:

= 1 + sin45

= 1 + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}

The method I used:

= 1 + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}

Was that genuinely the first thing you thought of, or were you bored and trying to find an alternative solution? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any last minute tips for AQA C2 maths exam? (Got it tomorrow)

Also, I've done all the past papers from 2005-2013, are there any other papers I could use? Tried finding extra logs questions on google but had no luck :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if I understood that correctly, isn't it appreciated on here?
    I'm not explaining this to you on here. :lol:

(Original post by justinawe)
    Was that genuinely the first thing you thought of, or were you bored and trying to find an alternative solution? :lol:
    It was the first thing I immediately thought of, and my problem is that if I see a method I know will get me to the correct solution, I launch into it immediately without thinking if there is a better way. :lol: I was bricking it before results because none of the mark scheme mentioned anything like the method I used.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annaridgway95)
    Anyone got any last minute tips for AQA C2 maths exam? (Got it tomorrow)

Also, I've done all the past papers from 2005-2013, are there any other papers I could use? Tried finding extra logs questions on google but had no luck :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How about:
    Solve (for x)\ 6^x = 5 \times 9^x giving your answer in exact and most simplified form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    Solve the simultaneous equations.

(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Urgh, I'll wait for half term:mmm:

Simultaneous equations!

a = 25 - 25r

(25 - 25r)/(1-r)=25
    Etc
    Thanks! Both of you are legends!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.