Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ADAOBI123)
    would that come up on the exam ?
    There could always be the possibility of it appearing, but quite unlikely really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    There could always be the possibility of it appearing, but quite unlikely really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    phew, but I'll look over it later on
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ADAOBI123)
    phew, but I'll look over it later on
    Same here

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    One thing i do not understand is that SF6 has bond angles of 90 degrees. could someone please explain why that is?

ReputationRep:
    I've done all the past paers, but does anyone know where I can get more questions for free online? (particularly calculations) Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Django)
    I've done all the past paers, but does anyone know where I can get more questions for free online? (particularly calculations) Thanks
    http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/OC...resources.html

This helped for me

ReputationRep:
    Thanks That looks great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Django)
    Thanks That looks great
    Welcome
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by gettingcreamy)
    One thing i do not understand is that SF6 has bond angles of 90 degrees. could someone please explain why that is?
    I'm not sure why really, just that is forms 4 bonds in the same plane and 2 vertically opposite eachother which gives the bond angle of 90 degrees between each bond.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    because if the angle was any smaller the electrons wouldn't be as far apart as possible, and the same for if the angle was bigger - as it would mean the electron is getting closer to a different electron (the angle increases on one side and decreases on the other). Remember electrons repel each other as much as possible. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Imagine the molecule as a 3D shape and not 2D.
    http://www.3dchem.com/inorganics/SF6.jpg

In this way you can see that the molecule has 90 degree bond angle between each atom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Winfield)
    Imagine the molecule as a 3D shape and not 2D.
    http://www.3dchem.com/inorganics/SF6.jpg

In this way you can see that the molecule has 90 degree bond angle between each atom.
    Thanks. Good one

ReputationRep:
    Bond angles and shapes are fine for the most part, but i was doing a paper that was about hydrazine and they asked for the bond angle of "N-H-N" or something like that... thats when it got confusing. Also in the january 2013 paper a similar question came up with the "O-B-O" bond angle or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    anyone know where the mark scheme for the specimen paper is ?

ReputationRep:
    I just came out of psychology and have this whole topic to do in a few hours. No part paoers although I done them in january and was getting a's but in actual exam I got a D. Test is much harder than past papers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    can someone please explain hydrogen bonding?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shanze S)
    anyone know where the mark scheme for the specimen paper is ?
    Just scroll underneath the questions. The mark scheme is there

ReputationRep:
    Question

Explain the decrease in atomic radius across each period?
    Predict and explain whether a sodium ion is larger or smaller than a sodium atom.
    Why does the boiling point increase from Sodium to Aluminium?

ReputationRep:
    I use a nifty mneumonic which is weird- SSPIRD - similar shielding,protons increase,radii decreases and FIE increases - down groups I just say radius,sheilding,shells and protons increases but FIE decreases

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to have a hard time waking up for this exam My sleeping patterns are soo bad!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.