Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Arissa)
    You have to mention all of the books you've studied except for the one you wrote about in section A
    Okay thank you, so I have to talk about all 3 of Keats' poems in section B then? Confused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy96)
    Okay thank you, so I have to talk about all 3 of Keats' poems in section B then? Confused
    Okay, which other texts have you studied?
    I've done Mariner, Kite runner, all of the browning poems and Gatsby. So in section A, I'm going to answer the mariner question-mainly because it is about form, structure and language etc. Therefore in section B, I'll answer either one of the two questions on Gatsby, kite runner and like 2 of the browning poems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charrey)
    Ive written essays for five of the parts but then i got bored so i can help you with structure/setting/perspective/form/language on these, i also posted some stuff on context in another thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2167542 i think its on the 23rd page of that
    oh no! i still havent even read all of one of my texts yet because its soo long and im so lazy :/// so im watching the film version of Birdsong now and am definitely not using it for section A
    Every time I attempt an essay for Mariner I only get like a Band 3, which is beyond crap! I need an A overall! Have you got any points for the second/third/fourth/fifth/sixth and seventh?

ReputationRep:
    Every time I attempt an essay for Mariner I only get like a Band 3, which is beyond crap! I need an A overall! Have you got any points for the second/third/fourth/fifth/sixth and seventh?
    ill post this essay below which is the highest marked essay i've got this year i think i got around 18/21 and its for part 2 so you can note down some stuff from it also i wouldn't worry, in my mock i got 13/21 and 7/21 in section A and still managed an A because the grade boundaries are so low!!

Samuel Taylor Coleridge uses various narrative devices in order to tell the story in part two in which the repercussions of the sin are first discovered and the plot of the poem becomes significantly more supernatural as the men discover their thirst and the Marinere hangs the Albatross upon his neck which is illustrated through various narrative devices.
    This part of the poem is written in first person in order to convey the fact that the Marinere himself is telling the story which is particularly relevant as the reader can encounter his personal response to ‘kill’d the bird’ as he ‘had done a hellish thing,’ the use of ‘had’ is past tense which indicates that in hindsight he is able to reassess his actions as ‘hellish’ indicates how his crime causes him inner turmoil as hell is deemed to be the horrific of places and the adjective highlights the negativity of his actions, the use of first person helps appreciate the feelings personally associated with sin. Furthermore, the use of repetition by Coleridge enables the reader to process the complex events of the poem ‘water, water everywhere’ in order to highlight the lack of water and how the mariners were constantly at mercy of the oceans. The use of archaic language of the narrator shows how ageless he is as a character which encourages the wedding guest to listen to his moral due to the wise connotations of the old, ‘ne dim ne red’ which indicates how the sun is not dim or red which conveys anger and how the bad weather foreshadows the coming events of the poem, therefore, as a narrator Coleridge uses the Marinere to tell the story in a way which foreshadows future events and creates a element of mystery for the reader.
    This part of the poem is told in chronological order, which enables the unnatural events to contrast with the natural pace of the story. It begins with Coleridge telling how the Mariner reflected on his sin ‘I had kill’d the bird’ which indicates how he had acknowledged his actions, yet his fellow mariners attempt to justify his wrongdoings as ‘twas right’ which could indicate that until punishment is received they believed he was justified, showing the lack of knowledge and acceptance for mans involvement in the damaging of nature. The poem then progresses to indicate how the men suffer from thirst ‘and all the boards did shrink’ which indicates how they cannot even clean the decks of the boat due to the lack of water, which begins the disintegration of normality and how the poem distances from the natural. This is further shown as ‘the water, like a witches oil’ where the similie is used to show how the story is in a state of unease as ‘oil’ and ‘water’ cannot combine like the Marinere later in the novel is unable to mix with death. Later on in this part the Marinere hangs the Albatross ‘instead of the cross’ around his neck which shows religious terminology and the beginning of his loss of ability to regain contact with his faith, as the cross relates to the persecution of Christ and in hanging the Albatross ‘about my neck’ it demeans this biblical story, distancing from religion.
    The setting of this part of the poem is in the ocean in an unspecified location which mystifies the reader and indicates how such unnatural events can occur anywhere as the boat is ‘a painted ship upon a painted ocean’ which shows how unreal and alien the ship is illustrating how the mariners are losing touch with reality. The ship is under ‘a hot and copper sky’ which conjures the image of a caldron in which the sins of the Marinere are brewing, as the ‘bloody sun’ creates an overtone of death and spilt blood in nature like the killing of the Albatross. The nature of the setting often creates direct links with the events of the story, which Coleridge uses to highlight the events.
    The form of the poem is a ballad which has differing line numbers within the stanzas such as in stanza four which infers a sudden change within the story of the part to unnatural as it contrasts with the other four line stanzas due to the two extra lines, the unnatural nature of the story then later evolves as ‘slimy things did crawl with legs’ which could relate to the use of the snake in the garden of Eden which appears after sin is committed, this highlights the supernatural and how these ambiguous creatures contrast with the events before the death of the Albatross in the previous part showing they are directly linked.

ReputationRep:
    didnt realise how long that post was, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    No, it's upto you. You can talk about just one if you like, just pick the one(s) you think fit the question best. Personally, I think it's best to focus on one but also reference the author's other works wherever relevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charrey)
    didnt realise how long that post was, sorry!
    That's such a good essay! I got 52/60 in my coursework so even if I get a B in the exam, my grade overall should be an A right?

ReputationRep:
    That's such a good essay! I got 52/60 in my coursework so even if I get a B in the exam, my grade overall should be an A right?
    thanks well done on your coursework! umm im not sure i think you would probably need a high B? but i cant really say because i dont even know what i got in my coursework!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, is anyone studying Small Island?

I'm having trouble understanding how to use it for A04; do I make historical points and try to relate them to the text, or do I do something else I haven't found many resources on it

ReputationRep:
    Anyyy boddyyyyyy doing

Seamys Heaney and Owen Sheers for the poety..

And Murmmering JUdges for the play? Xx

Imm starting my revision today and imm crapping myself, because i have left it too late :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awaywithwords)
    Hi guys, is anyone studying Small Island?

I'm having trouble understanding how to use it for A04; do I make historical points and try to relate them to the text, or do I do something else I haven't found many resources on it
    I'm studying Small Island for section B, so I don't need to apply context, but you might find this article helpful!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011...e-small-island

Also, you could write about how the book is inspired by actual historical events, such as the Empire Windrush arriving in England in the same year as the novel is set.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieGloria)
    I'm studying Small Island for section B, so I don't need to apply context, but you might find this article helpful!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011...e-small-island

Also, you could write about how the book is inspired by actual historical events, such as the Empire Windrush arriving in England in the same year as the novel is set.
    Thanks for the article! This is sort of as a backup if I have to use Small Island for section A, as I'd think I'd rather use a poem. I can definitely see some of that fitting into A04.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Firstly, what is the whole of the English lit as level out of in both marks and ums?
    Also I got 60/60 for my coursework. What does that convert to in UMS? What do I need to get in the exam to get a A in marks and UMS?
    Can someone please tell me I'm desperate and worried!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Keats and have only studied two of them and am probably only going to talk about the one which I think is most relevant to the question... If you want to you can do 3 but I think if you focus on one in lots of detail and refer briefly to one other to support your points you'll make it easier for yourself and you won't be marked down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsAlexis_J)
    Hi,
    Firstly, what is the whole of the English lit as level out of in both marks and ums?
    Also I got 60/60 for my coursework. What does that convert to in UMS? What do I need to get in the exam to get a A in marks and UMS?
    Can someone please tell me I'm desperate and worried!!
    All AS levels are out of 200 UMS.
    English lit is out of 144 marks. 84 in exam and 60 in coursework.

You achieved 80/80 UMS in your coursework - Well done, that's fantastic!
    This means that you need a further 80 UMS to achieve an A, which is about a high C. Marks are less easy to predict I'm afraid, as the grade boundaries change, but I'd imagine somewhere in the high 30s.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not the best of mathematicians.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by _hail)
    I'm doing Keats and have only studied two of them and am probably only going to talk about the one which I think is most relevant to the question... If you want to you can do 3 but I think if you focus on one in lots of detail and refer briefly to one other to support your points you'll make it easier for yourself and you won't be marked down
    Okay thank you very much! That's really helped so thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    what is A04? also, does section B need all the A0s in? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kate3)
    what is A04? also, does section B need all the A0s in? thanks
    AO4 is context.

Section B only requires AOs 1 to 3.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...1-W-SMS-07.PDF
    The specimen mark scheme is helpful if you are unsure which AOs are required for each question.

ReputationRep:
    hi is anyone doing AS aqa english lit b tomorrow and doing the great gatsby in section a ? does anyone know what chapter came up on the January 2013 paper on Gatsby? thanks x so worried about the exam tomorrow I've revised lots but I'm still so nervous!

ReputationRep:
    I have a feeling it might have been chapter 9, but I'm really not sure!! I am praying for chapter 6 and then a debate question on women or something !

do you have any idea how to integrate form into your answers, because I have got good marks in the practice essays but never directly mentioned form!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.