Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you proud of where you come from? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm not proud of where I come from which is Oxford. It has to be the worst town in the whole country , full of chavs and drug addicts and criminals and people addicted to alcohol.
    Seriously , the people in Oxford are the worst people ever. They have no class or sophistication at all. I guess I could call them the trashiest people ever.

I can't wait to leave this crappy town and go somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    **** no. Why should you be proud of an area you happen to be born into? Pride is for arrogant, conceited fools.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say I was proud, largely indifferent about coming from Leicester A good place to leave as I say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alice:))
    I lived in Binley until last year, now I live in Stoke where the car plant was
    Ahh I'm from Holbrooks

ReputationRep:
    Hell yeah! East London is "da shizz" as my lovely East Londoners would say, but thankfully the god I fail to believe in blessed my family and I so we moved from there when I was a kid. I absolutely love that I come from there mainly because when you know how to get around East London, you know what markets sell the best quality fruit and veg and who sells the cheapest chicken, fish and meat. Yes, that really is the reason I love East London. The people generally suck and I don't like to hang around the area because the chances of me bumping into a family friend and having awkward small talk makes my introverted mind quiver, but it's very useful for food, restaurants, fabric (I make/design clothes so I need a lot of that) and Tesco. And public transport! I love public transport and the masses of people who use public transport in East London in particular can make it a little stressful to get around and so this makes it sooo much better! Plus I grew up there - it's still home to me.

Although, I will say that I hope to hell that if god damns me and gives me children then they aren't brought up there. It is the worst possible place to bring up a child. Very, very few have ambition and actually get places there - they don't just dream of going far, they actually get far. That really pisses me off. I once told a kid I got As and Bs for my GCSEs and he literally said to me these exact words: "What?! Asians can do good in school?!" He was seriously baffled.

(By the way, I'm speaking about my idea of the heart of East London, so anything from about West Ham to Aldgate.)

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely. It's my hometown and where I grew up so naturally I love it.

ReputationRep:
    im not proud, i dont see what there is to be proud of, i was born here by coincidence and nothing about my location relates to me.... i assume this should be the same for most people despite the comments on here....

but i am glad to be born here rather than some third world country

ReputationRep:
    stockport, manchester;

the area?
    Absolutely, we've got a long, rich history and some cool attractions.
    Museums, 3 air raid shelters which if necessary could still be used and a market thats about 750 years old.

the people?
    Ewww

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronicking)
    stockport, manchester;

the area?
    Absolutely, we've got a long, rich history and some cool attractions.
    Museums, 3 air raid shelters which if necessary could still be used and a market thats about 750 years old.

the people?
    Ewww
    Apparently, a recent survey named Stockport the UK's second happiest place to live: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2013...e-uk-rightmove Are/were you happy there overall?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Where I live isn't great but I'm proud of where I come from because I was brought up here - I don't know life anywhere else. I wouldn't have wanted to be brought up anywhere else There's not very many interesting things which is a bit boring.

ReputationRep:
    3/4 nigerian - uhh defo proud enough to showcase it and there are a lot of things i love about nigeria, but it's not my kind of place to live for so many reasons, but i'm definitely proud.
    1/4 trinidadian - never been, nothing to be proud of tbh considering i have no idea what it's like in trinidad.
    londoner (born in the east brapbrap, currently live south-west) - defo proud of being a londoner, since i've grown up here most of my life, but i shall miss it cos i really want a change of scenery and lifestyle soon, so buhbye london!

apparently i'm 1/16th scottish hahah, and i always randomly tell people this cos i find it an interestingly funny fact

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platinum Mech)
    Apparently, a recent survey named Stockport the UK's second happiest place to live: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2013...e-uk-rightmove Are/were you happy there overall?
    I didn't even know they'd done a survey haha, I can't see any particular reason why we came second though?.

In general yes, but government funding could be better spent in some areas/on certain things

ReputationRep:
    Very proud to be from Liverpool . Pretty happy w/ Aberdeen as my university town so I guess you could interpret that as pride.

ReputationRep:
    No, not especially. I don't really know why I would be.

ReputationRep:
    I never really know how to answer the question "where are you from". I identify most strongly with Britain despite the fact that I wasn't born or raised here.

I was born and raised in Israel, my parents are from North Africa and Asia, and I lived in several countries before the UK. Despite the fact that I've been in the UK for 10 years and I picked up the language perfectly, my brain has been unable to change my accent so people always assume I'm a new immigrant to the UK when they first meet me.

Am I proud of Israel? Yes I am. I think it's the gem of the middle East and I think that it's going to have a good future, despite pessimism from so many people. North Africa has a long way to go, and so does Asia.

As for Britain - that's the country I'm most proud of because of its tolerance and free society. However it did take Britain a very long time to get to where it is now, and Israel being a new state as it is is catching up pretty fast, so I think that they're in pretty stiff competition for my personal approval.

If I had to choose where to live permanently, I'd choose Britain. If I had to choose between the destruction of one or the other, I'd choose for Britain to survive. Simply because I think that in its current state Britain is a better force for good to the world in general.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I am very proud to be from Ayr. For many reasons but one being, Ayr is where Simon Neil from Biffy Clyro is from :P

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my town has a fair bit going for it, and is even connected to a little bit of World history.

My uni town I love, and whilst others may laugh and joke about it, I will always hold Aberystwyth close to my heart.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.