Its the other way around i.e. 2/x^2 becomes 1/x^2
    UGH ok, thanks
    I knew I would make a stupid mistake somewhere
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Mylinho)
    Hi Mr M,

First of all, just want to say I really admire you for doing all this for all these exams, especially as I read you were in a meeting till 6. It's really kind of you to come home after such a long day, and help put our minds.

I have a quick question: for question 5 ii) I wrote 'transformation parallel to y axis by scale factor 1/2.' I wrote transformation instead of stretch.

Will I lose both marks for that?
    Drop 1 mark.

And you are welcome. I don't mind giving up my time to reassure people who are nervous about their exams.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by iDraw)
    For question 6, I put [square root]40 and not 2[square root]10 but in some working out for another question, I referred to it as 2[square root]10, will I get the answer mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    hey MR M when can you do the edexcel c1 paper model answers?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by science-oliver)
    How many marks Mr M would I have lost on the last question if I knew (or I thought i knew) there were two solutions, but i recognise the fact that the questions said Point A and not point(s), and I gambled as a complete 50/50 gamble and put down the answer as -2,-27 and didn't put anything about the other potential coordinates?
    They'll probably assume you knew to disregard the other point. You might get full marks (lose 1 at most).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by LucyW456)
    For 5iii I put scale factor 2, because it was 1/x^2 transformed to 2/x^2 (I think) - wouldn't scale factor 1/2 change it to 1/2x^2 ?
    The graph y=kf(x) is a stretch of the graph y=f(x) by scale factor k parallel to the y axis.

Your curves are the wrong way round.

ReputationRep:
    I generally think that this paper was slightly harder than the one in january. I hope core 2 goes well!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by EllieJacksonn)
    any idea what the grade boundaries will be like?
    No sorry. I don't like to guess.

ReputationRep:
    Mr M, for question 5, the one about sketching a graph, I only sketched the positive quadrant, will I lose any marks for this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    1 mark
    Thanks, a lot.

Also, in question 6ii) I accidently used (0,4) as my centre instead of (0, -4), provided my workings were sound would I be able to gain 1 mark as I did get the x-coordinate correct?

Cheers for these answers!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by asib12)
    If I stupidly misread perpendicular as parallel on question 8, but finished the question and found an equation for the line where the gradient was 1/3, which was the correct equation for that gradient, how many marks could I have gotten out of the 7 available?

cheers in advance
    Drop 3 probably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 840)
    I generally think that this paper was slightly harder than the one in january. I hope core 2 goes well!
    I thought the one in January was a million times harder! Mostly because of that 10 mark question and I wasn't that prepared for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Parrallax)
    hey MR M when can you do the edexcel c1 paper model answers?
    I don't do Edexcel for A Level but Arsey does. He is likely to ride to your rescue after 12 hours have elapsed.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by iDraw)
    Mr M, for question 5, the one about sketching a graph, I only sketched the positive quadrant, will I lose any marks for this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Drop 1 mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    I see. Did you consider resitting C2 and/or S1?
    yeah. I'm resitting C2 on friday so ill probably be asking you to check some of my answers then as well

thanks for the help!!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by joetodd)
    Thanks, a lot.

Also, in question 6ii) I accidently used (0,4) as my centre instead of (0, -4), provided my workings were sound would I be able to gain 1 mark as I did get the x-coordinate correct?

Cheers for these answers!
    Probably get 2 marks out of 3.

You are welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    You're wrong. The cute writing won me over.
    I've tried to uprate you so many times only to be told I need to rate other members first

Which other modules will you be doing answer threads for?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by James_01)
    yeah. I'm resitting C2 on friday so ill probably be asking you to check some of my answers then as well

thanks for the help!!!
    That's ok then! I'll post C2 answers on Friday afternoon.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't put question 8 in integer form.

On question 10 I got that k=-5 but when putting k back into the original equation and differentiating it I got dy/dx=-3x^2-6x+4-k to be dy/dx=-3x^2-6x+4-5 instead of dy/dx=-3x^2-6x+4-(-5) so got dy/dx=-3x^2-6x-1.

I carried this error forwards into the last part of the question and did dy/dx=9, then put it into quadratic form but it had no real roots. I couldn't work out where I went wrong so in the last few minutes i just went with it and proved that it had no real roots which I knew was wrong.

How many marks will I lose in total?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Big-Daddy)
    I've tried to uprate you so many times only to be told I need to rate other members first

Which other modules will you be doing answer threads for?
    C2, C3, C4, FP1, FP2, M1, M2. These are the ones I teach.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.