Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Talking to cute guy on uni's library watch

ReputationRep:
    Good luck OP - hope you speak more by the end of term!

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what happened today...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    OP... We're WAITINGGGGG

:nutcase: :nutcase: :nutcase: :nutcase:

ReputationRep:
    draw a picture of him on paper with your phone number, then give it to him

ReputationRep:
    Drop your kegs in front of him.

(Original post by BarBaBaBaBarBaBaBa)
    OP... We're WAITINGGGGG

:nutcase: :nutcase: :nutcase: :nutcase:
    (Original post by THEMathlete)
    I wonder what happened today...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Alexandra's Box)
    Did you get to talk to him today?
    (Original post by aldanyh)
    I'm a somewhat reserved person, so people often speak to me first, and I often forget the first thing that was said on first encounters, but I'm glad when people do come up and talk to me, especially people I've noticed from afar and wanted to meet. It doesn't really matter what you say first, just say something casual that will lead to a conversation.

Today, go and sit next to him, then look at him, smile and say "Hey!". He'll look at you, remember you and say "oh, hey" back. Then, look at what he's reading/what he's looking at on his screen and say, "oh, that looks rather.....[long/ difficult/ fun/ etc]". Keep smiling all the way! He'll be like, "yeah, that's just.... [something about the subjects he studies/ an interest he has]". Then you can ask him more questions about that, and he'll answer. After a while, he'll politely ask you some more questions about yourself. Later, you might say "oh, I don't want to disturb you any more, I'll let you get back to your [whatever he was doing]..." or one of you will say it's time for them to leave - and at that point you can exchange contact details. And there, that's it, and this isn't even a risky thing to do.

Whatever you do please keep us updated! And good luck.

We said hi to each other today, nothing else...
    I felt terrible all day long and was not in the mood to talk to anyone

ReputationRep:
    Ah well. A mutual "hi" is a big step forward compared to the start of this thread. Keep being friendly to him OP, that's a good start. Hope you feel better after a good sleep.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't be talking in a library

ReputationRep:
    Is this his / your final year OP, or will you both be at the university for another year or more?

ReputationRep:
    *gets popcorn*

ReputationRep:
    So what happened OP? Have you gone your separate ways for ever ... or for the summer ... without ever building upon that "Hi"?

(Original post by Crumpet1)
    So what happened OP? Have you gone your separate ways for ever ... or for the summer ... without ever building upon that "Hi"?
    Actually, I didn't see him again in the library, maybe he was there but I didn't see him :/ And I didn't go as often.

Maybe this friday i'll see him, don't worry, i'll keep you posted

It's so so so weird, I don't understand why i'm so attracted to him, I just find him very ... mysterious? As in, i never saw him talk to anyone, he sits all by himself at lunch, and when he is bored he goes outside, alone. But whenever he looks at me my stomach goes :woo:

The similarities between him and the guy from The Perks of Being a Wallflower is uncanny! And you won't believe me, but he actually looks a bit like Logan Lerman (or maybe thats just my imagination haha)

ReputationRep:
    Just tap him on the shoulder, lean in and whisper

"I couldn't help noticing that you have two shadows..."

Then grab his hand and run.

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Any ideas? What do I do??
    Cute guy, how do I approach you??
    Next time, sit right next to him and say hi. You said he seems shy and obviously nothing has happened so if you want something to happen you gotta make the first move.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SR255)
    I've never understood this "meet people at libraries" thing. For starters a library is the one place where you're not allowed to talk and secondly library or not completely randomly trying to chat up a stranger is a bit weird. I think what happened is a couple of people hit it off with someone in a library through a chance encounter then they went around telling everyone "you can totally get girls/boys in libraries!". The thing is though it was just a lucky encounter where they had reason to talk to the person. Walking into a library with the explicit intention of chatting up a stranger who has no reason whatsoever to talk to you is highly unlikely to work.
    It's similar to the "Falling in love on a train journey" thing. Never happens. I've spent a lot of time on trains lately, and there is not a charming man to be seen. Brief Encounter it is not, although there is a Kevin Bacon lookalike on my way to work. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    Just tap him on the shoulder, lean in and whisper

"I couldn't help noticing that you have two shadows..."

Then grab his hand and run.

Spoiler:
    Show

If he doesn't watch Doctor Who that could get awkward quite quickly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_W-x)
    If he doesn't watch Doctor Who that could get awkward quite quickly
    I know, but it's always worth a shot. I'm tempted to do it to a random stranger at uni now. :lol: Probably incur the wrath of a stressed postgrad though.

ReputationRep:
    I know, but it's always worth a shot. I'm tempted to do it to a random stranger at uni now. :lol: Probably incur the wrath of a stressed postgrad though.
    Hahaha, do it! I always slip Doctor Who, Lost, Mean Girls and Pulp fiction quotes in conversation but no-one ever understands them and then I look weird

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_W-x)
    Hahaha, do it! I always slip Doctor Who, Lost, Mean Girls and Pulp fiction quotes in conversation but no-one ever understands them and then I look weird
    I did that in my first week of uni. Turns out that "Always bring a banana to a party" is not as well-known as it should be, which then resulted in a bet where I had to throw a banana at someone when we went out, and my flatmate taping bananas to my wardrobe for a laugh. :lol: Needless to say it was thrown at the the guy who started the bet. :lol: Although I did succeed in getting them quoting American Psycho constantly.

ReputationRep:
    I did that in my first week of uni. Turns out that "Always bring a banana to a party" is not as well-known as it should be, which then resulted in a bet where I had to throw a banana at someone when we went out, and my flatmate taping bananas to my wardrobe for a laugh. :lol: Needless to say it was thrown at the the guy who started the bet. :lol: Although I did succeed in getting them quoting American Psycho constantly.
    Hahahahah, that's brilliant! I HAD FORGOT ABOUT THAT QUOTE, THAT IS GREAT! Generally if they don't look up to the Doctor Who fan standard I stick with the 'Fez's are cool' and bowties, I hope this is socially acceptable still when I start uni in September :')

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 26, 2013
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.