Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    by the way guys. if it is a human exam do you have to do the fieldwork investigation, write about human or can you do physical?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gutygvg)
    by the way guys. if it is a human exam do you have to do the fieldwork investigation, write about human or can you do physical?
    There are two parts to the exam. The first part is statistical questions based on the core human and physical units. This changes every year.
    The second part is your fieldwork that you should have done. You always write about the exact fieldwork that you did. It doesn't matter if its physical or human.

ReputationRep:
    thank you , you are a life saver

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaydude)
    How much revision did you do for it? Were you fully prepared?
    I thought I was but now I realise that I didn't do as much revision as I could have done. I basically just memorised these five model answers my teacher gave us not realising that a lot of different stuff could come up that I didn't even look at! I described my method instead of justifying it which lost me 5 marks. I ran out of time and didn't even attempt one easy 5 mark question. Also, there was an 8 mark question on social welfare in the first section and I had no idea what it was! Other than that I was fully prepared... haha. I did think I had got a C or a D though and was surprised when I scraped an E!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gutygvg)
    thank you , you are a life saver
    Your welcome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donny29)
    if they ask what were you main conclusions.... what would you include in your conclusion ? Don't know hat to write for 5 marks
    Talk about whether your results matched the hypothesis, outliers, if it matched the Spearman's rank etc.
    (Original post by daisy1996)
    hey
    is rivers definitely going to come up then?
    so nervous
    I will probably come up.
    (Original post by spiruel)
    Does anybody have a model answer for a 'with specific reference to your results' question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, but just talk about your data you collected on your field study. Link this to your hypothesis and aim, and outliers & problems.
    (Original post by Livaren)
    Evaluate one method of primary data collection that you used in your enquiry. (6marks)

Can someone answer this question using collecting sediment to see how it changed with distance downstream as an example?
    Primary is the stuff that you collected your self. For example, in my field study, the primary data I collected was measuring the depth of the river. In this case, I'd talk about the good and bad things about the process.
    (Original post by lucasluke)
    Can you lie about data? Like when concluding give examples of anomalies and trends?
    Yes, the examinar isn't going to go to your field study area and compare his figures to yours.
    (Original post by dh1995)
    anybody got any ideas of the specific topics of the questions in section 1?
    Probably something on rivers.
    (Original post by Welbeck)
    how does a confluence affect a river's velocity? Does it increase or decrease? I think it increases as you would have more water coming from other tributaries
    A confluence is the junction of two rivers. If there is a junction, there is more water here. If there is more water, this increases the velocity of the river. With a higher velocity, this erodes the channel deeper (As shown in the Hjuström curve), increasing the cross sectional area. Discharge = cross sectional area * velocity , so if the velocity is increased and the cross sectional area, this shall in turn increase discharge.

More water can also influence the wetted perimiter and hydraulic radius, indirectly influencing the velocity.
    (Original post by loopylamorna)
    Anyone else terrified for this exam tomorrow?! D:
    Should be orite, just like Unit 1 Geography but with hardly any content to remember.
    You don't even need data for the exam tomorrow, it's all just general?
    Just know all of the stuff from Rivers and Population from Unit 1, you won't need to know it in that much depth though, just be aware of it. E.g. The Hjuström curve came up in one paper.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

How is everyone going to approach this exam?

Answer it how it is going to be structured (i.e Section A and then section B) or do section B first (which requires a lot more memorised content) and get it out of the way?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niniesta96)
    Hey guys,

How is everyone going to approach this exam?

Answer it how it is going to be structured (i.e Section A and then section B) or do section B first (which requires a lot more memorised content) and get it out of the way?

Thanks
    I think I'll have a quick look at both sections and do the easier one first as I tend to run out of time! Normally I do B then A

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody tell me the advantages and disadvantages of spearmans rank?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ksullivan96)
    Thanks . I'm doing how the Ogmore River changes from source to mouth comparing with the bradshore model. You?
    Hey I'm also doing how a river changes from source to mouth and comparing it with the Bradshaw Model. I'm struggling on how to answer the question "outline the purpose of your enquiry" Could you point me in the right direction on how to answer this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tazza93)
    Hey I'm also doing how a river changes from source to mouth and comparing it with the Bradshaw Model. I'm struggling on how to answer the question "outline the purpose of your enquiry" Could you point me in the right direction on how to answer this?
    Pretty much have to say what your aiming to investigate

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djnn24)
    Can somebody tell me the advantages and disadvantages of spearmans rank?
    Advantages:
    Shows us statistically whether there is a relationship

Disadvantages:
    Lengthy calculation so mistakes could invalidate final result
    Only works with 2 variables
    Doesn't show non linear relationships (only positive or negative correlations)

I myself need to know more advantages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MobQ)
    Advantages:

Disadvantages:

I have another advantage:

The data does not need to be normally distributed.
    (not sure what this means, but it keeps coming up on pages im looking at on google)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MobQ)
    Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Say it is a scientific way of using statistical analysis and therefore because of this it is reliable

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you reckon they may ask us to construct a log/ semi-log graph???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djnn24)
    I have another advantage:

The data does not need to be normally distributed.
    (not sure what this means, but it keeps coming up on pages im looking at on google)
    (Original post by homefind)
    Say it is a scientific way of using statistical analysis and therefore because of this it is reliable

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh right, thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    What topic do you reckon will come up tomorrow? Rivers or population? The previous exams have had this pattern: PRPRPPR... reckon it will be rivers then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MobQ)
    What topic do you reckon will come up tomorrow? Rivers or population? The previous exams have had this pattern: PRPRPPR... reckon it will be rivers then?
    Hopefully

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You don't even need data for the exam tomorrow, it's all just general?
    I thought you got more marks for specific detail? So throw a couple of random figures in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loopylamorna)
    I thought you got more marks for specific detail? So throw a couple of random figures in
    I can't remember which paper but in the examiners report it mentioned how some candidates were awarded marks because they knew certain facts and figs I wouldn't stress too much about them though as really there is the one question at the end of section A where u can use them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 19, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.