Do you brush your teeth before or after breakfast? Watch

This discussion is closed.
TritonSails
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hannah60000)
If this were the case then why do we not brush our teeth after all meals? (The majority of us).

You brush when you wake up before breakfast, then last thing before bed.

This logic fails. I brush my teeth in the morning to clean my mouth and keep my teeth healthy. Teeth were meant for waiting so I do not see how breakfast will "dirty" them, is cereal and toast that messy...
1) Because it's impractical. To compromise we brush our teeth before going to bed--because we have eaten over the course of the day and want to get rid of the food particles and plaque stuck in our teeth from that eating.

2) Just saying it doesn't make it true.

3) Cereal and toast are actually both foods that easily cling to your teeth when eaten and get stuck in them. This is how plaque forms. It's not about 'dirty' or 'messy' food.
jarasta
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Secretnerd123)
Im before and i was suprised to find that many of my friends do it after breakfast. Why would you want to have breakfast with all that bacteria still in your mouth?
Thats just my opinion though! If you do it after please dont be offended

Posted from TSR Mobile
Totally agree, i never got people who brush after. I just feel filthy in the morning if I don't brush them first thing, hell, I don't understand why people kiss each other when they wake up, yuuck!
jarasta
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Stevo F)
It's just natural bacteria you have in your mouth anyway, you brush your teeth before lunch and before dinner as well then? :rolleyes:
but your mouth feels all weird and dirty, and plaque and bad breath, you don't really get that through out the day
JosephSF
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
After breakfast because i normally drink very strong coffee and eat very fruitie things so have to stop the bacteria.
ShadowWolf21
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tooosh)
Yeah I guess that would be. It's not so much that you wash your hands a lot but you feel they're dirty when they're obviously not.
At least you can indulge at the hospital and procrastinate in getting rid of it :rolleyes:
When I'm work, I'm not so bad! They actually do get ridiculously dirty, it's unbelievable, I'll wash them, and the water will run black off my hands. It's horrifying!

But yeah, it's not as bad as it once was. Now I only wash them when necessary, and only once each time. I've done really well getting rid of the obsessive hand-washing. Well, I think so anyway
Bloxorus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hannah60000)
If this were the case then why do we not brush our teeth after all meals? (The majority of us).

You brush when you wake up before breakfast, then last thing before bed.

This logic fails. I brush my teeth in the morning to clean my mouth and keep my teeth healthy. Teeth were meant for waiting so I do not see how breakfast will "dirty" them, is cereal and toast that messy...
Well you get pieces of food stuck in your molars which causes cavities so i'd count that as getting them dirty. My grandpa was a dentist and he always encouraged me to brush after every meal when I wasn't at school, we don't brush after lunch simply for the impracticality of it.

If your one of the people who uses the argument "I brush my teeth before so I don't have to eat breakfast with bacteria in my mouth" then you are extremely stupid to think that brushing your teeth removes all of the billions of bacteria that live in your mouth.
Benammieh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Youre really meant to brush ur teeth before and then again at night after you have flossed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hyde
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Benammieh)
Youre really meant to brush ur teeth before and then again at night after you have flossed
Posted from TSR Mobile
You're also meant to live until 300. All this teeth whitening paranoia has reduced our lifespans.
username1039383
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by jarasta)
Totally agree, i never got people who brush after. I just feel filthy in the morning if I don't brush them first thing, hell, I don't understand why people kiss each other when they wake up, yuuck!
Lool i think that only happens in movies!
infairverona
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't get this thing with the disgusting breath in the morning...neither me nor my boyfriend get this, is this a thing everyone gets? Maybe you aren't brushing your teeth properly or something?
Bloxorus
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jarasta)
Lol what the hell are you doing in bed at night to get so filthy by the morning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
jarasta
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Secretnerd123)
Lool i think that only happens in movies!
Thank goodness!!
jarasta
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bloxorus)
Lol what the hell are you doing in bed at night to get so filthy by the morning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I drool sometimes
Precious Illusions
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I usually brush them a while before I have breakfast, so I can actually taste my cereal or whatever :lol: Then I might have mouthwash after eating.
Blob :)
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do before. And a quicky after eating a meal..:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As soon as I wake up. I can't feel clean if I don't brush my teeth and wash my face when I wake up.
Squirb
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Before, can't handle sleep breath

Posted from TSR Mobile
popnit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Before definitely. Sleep breath is the worst.

Posted from TSR Mobile
mangamaan
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ShadowWolf21)
Seeing as I have regular dental checks, so far, my enamel's doing just fine, thanks. I ask each time for checks. And seeing as I brush 3 times a day, it doesn't seem so ridiculous does it? Once more than what is considered normal, as well as those who brush before and after breakfast?

Like I said, I eat after big meals, therefore, breakfast and dinner. Then before bed. Sorry for brushing once more than necessary. I dropped the brushing after every time I eat habit a while ago, but I still brush after dinner.
I brush twice a day, and frankly I don't care how often you brush your teeth. Frequent brushing can wear your enamel, etectra, I cant be asked to go into details about it with you.
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For health reasons it has to be before. This is one of those 'health facts you really should know but we're not gonna bother telling you' things.

Eating, and drinking something acidic (I just say drinking anything that isn't water or milk), weakens the enamel of your teeth. If you brush too soon after eating/drinking, you brush off the enamel, which does not get replaced. You should wait an hour after eating/drinking before brushing your teeth, or face permanent damage.

So if you've just eaten and are going to leave the house in half an hour, you're surely better off not brushing at all.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads