Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview at st georges on the 10th too !its the 12:00 one? Also Chris I have heard absolutely nothing off Birmingham city even though I applied in October last year! Has anyone heard from Birmingham or had an interview at st goerges already? how was it if so?

(Original post by Happy_Holidays)
    What is the background for this? Those numbers don't mean anything without the background.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The nursing number comes from statistics I was provided last year at a UCAS convention focused on nursing, the medical degree statistic was provided by a book called: Getting Into Medical School 2014 entry. As for the paramedic conclusion, I got that from someone here on the forum talking about how many people had applied. Which by Uni Stats, most paramedic courses offer 30 to 50 places and considering they said 1,500 applied, I'd hazard a guess that this a normal number for paramedic courses since there are a limited number of providers.

I'd love though happy if you could disprove me... any number higher than what I have would make me happy! (And I'm sure everyone here)

Though I still stand by the statement that its easier to get into medical school, thats a given!

ReputationRep:
    Still waiting for a reply from BCU and Oxford brookes for an interview hopefully. Anyone else heard from them?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by revron77)
    The nursing number comes from statistics I was provided last year at a UCAS convention focused on nursing, the medical degree statistic was provided by a book called: Getting Into Medical School 2014 entry. As for the paramedic conclusion, I got that from someone here on the forum talking about how many people had applied. Which by Uni Stats, most paramedic courses offer 30 to 50 places and considering they said 1,500 applied, I'd hazard a guess that this a normal number for paramedic courses since there are a limited number of providers.

I'd love though happy if you could disprove me... any number higher than what I have would make me happy! (And I'm sure everyone here)

Though I still stand by the statement that its easier to get into medical school, thats a given!
    The things you've got to look at is whether these statistics are per uni or overall. I'd say from knowledge of paramedic applicants per place there is generally 10-20 applicants per space. However, unis generally have a similar number of applicants but a varying number of spaces. You then have to realise that the majority of applicants will apply for 5-6 unis they could (theoretically) be offered a place at each uni but they couldn't take up all those spaces thus increasing the percentage chance of going in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do hope you are right happy! If its within the 10% region then that gives some of us a decent shot!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys/girls
    I've got an interview at Coventry in 9 days, any advice? On the maths/english, what is the pass mark? Also any other advice please?

Thank you

(Original post by Chardonnay7)
    Hey guys/girls
    I've got an interview at Coventry in 9 days, any advice? On the maths/english, what is the pass mark? Also any other advice please?

Thank you
    Learn everything you can about their service, their uni, the NHS and know your personal statement off by heart.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys/girls

Thank you
    If it is like the one I had in Greenwich today make sure you know at least one bit of current NHS news in great detail and understand how that would effect you as a paramedic

ReputationRep:
    Just received an interview date for Teesside on 27th February!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've got my interview at Teesside 24th!! So nervous!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cacatron)
    If it is like the one I had in Greenwich today make sure you know at least one bit of current NHS news in great detail and understand how that would effect you as a paramedic
    Okay would this be from the NHS website or be more paramedic based?

Also what was the maths/literacy tests like?

Thanks Cacatron

ReputationRep:
    Okay would this be from the NHS website or be more paramedic based?

Also what was the maths/literacy tests like?

Thanks Cacatron
    I cant tell you exactly what they want as obviously I do not know if I succeeded, I spoke about the 2 tier A&E proposals and about response time targets (loss of funding when failing to achieve them), try and get info from as many sources:NHS website, newspapers, Ambulance Trust newsletters etc.

As for the literary and numeracy tests they seem to greatly differ betweek unis, I felt the maths was pretty easy(non calculatorrdering fractions, calculating % increase/decrease, some stuff on ratios e.g water to disinfectant etc, I would say that it was probably year 9/10 grade questions) , as for the literacy we were given a statement about paramedic legislation and had to write a 30 minute essay on the subject, though apparently grammar and quality of written communication were been looked at more than the argument posed in the essay. Please do not take these to be the same as what you will get given as as I have said different unis do these tests very differently and I wouldnt want you preparing for what I hzd to do and being asked to do something completely different

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard from Edge Hill yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cacatron)
    I cant tell you exactly what they want as obviously I do not know if I succeeded, I spoke about the 2 tier A&E proposals and about response time targets (loss of funding when failing to achieve them), try and get info from as many sources:NHS website, newspapers, Ambulance Trust newsletters etc.

As for the literary and numeracy tests they seem to greatly differ betweek unis, I felt the maths was pretty easy(non calculatorrdering fractions, calculating % increase/decrease, some stuff on ratios e.g water to disinfectant etc, I would say that it was probably year 9/10 grade questions) , as for the literacy we were given a statement about paramedic legislation and had to write a 30 minute essay on the subject, though apparently grammar and quality of written communication were been looked at more than the argument posed in the essay. Please do not take these to be the same as what you will get given as as I have said different unis do these tests very differently and I wouldnt want you preparing for what I hzd to do and being asked to do something completely different
    Thank you so much, you have been unreal helpful, have some rep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ltaylor1995)
    I have an interview at st georges on the 10th too !its the 12:00 one? Also Chris I have heard absolutely nothing off Birmingham city even though I applied in October last year! Has anyone heard from Birmingham or had an interview at st goerges already? how was it if so?
    Hi Laura,

I've got an interview at St George's on the 10th too. Where else have you applied, other than Birmingham?
    What sort of preparation have you been doing for the interview etc?
    Getting pretty nervous about it all now haha. I applied to St George's, Greenwich, Oxford Brookes and UWE Bristol a week before Xmas. I've not heard off anyone other than St George's yet though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt7133)
    Hi Laura,

I've got an interview at St George's on the 10th too. Where else have you applied, other than Birmingham?
    What sort of preparation have you been doing for the interview etc?
    Getting pretty nervous about it all now haha. I applied to St George's, Greenwich, Oxford Brookes and UWE Bristol a week before Xmas. I've not heard off anyone other than St George's yet though.
    Hi Matt, I applied to Liverpool, Sheffield,edge hill, I got rejections from these, still waiting to hear from Birmingham and got the interview at st.georges. I'm getting really nervous now too! Iv not been sure how to prepare to be honest but iv been looking at st.georges uni and hospital and why id want to go there and researching the nhs and news involving paramedics. What have you been doing? Is this your first year applying?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Matt, I applied to Liverpool, Sheffield,edge hill, I got rejections from these, still waiting to hear from Birmingham and got the interview at st.georges. I'm getting really nervous now too! Iv not been sure how to prepare to be honest but iv been looking at st.georges uni and hospital and why id want to go there and researching the nhs and news involving paramedics. What have you been doing? Is this your first year applying?
    Ah sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed for St George's then. What were their reasons for rejecting you if you don't mind me asking? Was that after interview or before?
    Haha, I don't think I've ever been this nervous in my life.
    Pretty much the same prep as you to be honest. As far as work experience goes I've been volunteering for the Red Cross youth team, teaching school kids basic first aid and also worked in a care home taking meals to residents a few years back.
    Yeah, first year applying for me. Decided on a career change! Is this your first year of applying too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt7133)
    Ah sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed for St George's then. What were their reasons for rejecting you if you don't mind me asking? Was that after interview or before?
    Haha, I don't think I've ever been this nervous in my life.
    Pretty much the same prep as you to be honest. As far as work experience goes I've been volunteering for the Red Cross youth team, teaching school kids basic first aid and also worked in a care home taking meals to residents a few years back.
    Yeah, first year applying for me. Decided on a career change! Is this your first year of applying too?
    Thank you, this is my first year applying as I'm only 18 and have heard that unis are wanting older students who have had more life experience when I went to open days, the rejection reasons were pretty vague and kind of reflected this, Liverpool sent a message saying my application showed a lot of potential and to apply again in the future but detail work experience more, edge hill sent one just saying there was limited places and stronger candidates and Sheffield gave no reason. These were all before interview.
    As for work experience I did a three month placement at a nursing home, a week at a GP's, 3 days at Carlisle infirmary, 2 days at a mental health hospital, an afternoon at carlisle ambulance station and I'm a stretcher
    Barer at the carlisle united football games. However I'm not properly first aid trained and I'm worried this will be against me as well as my age.
    What career are you changing from if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, this is my first year applying as I'm only 18 and have heard that unis are wanting older students who have had more life experience when I went to open days, the rejection reasons were pretty vague and kind of reflected this, Liverpool sent a message saying my application showed a lot of potential and to apply again in the future but detail work experience more, edge hill sent one just saying there was limited places and stronger candidates and Sheffield gave no reason. These were all before interview.
    As for work experience I did a three month placement at a nursing home, a week at a GP's, 3 days at Carlisle infirmary, 2 days at a mental health hospital, an afternoon at carlisle ambulance station and I'm a stretcher
    Barer at the carlisle united football games. However I'm not properly first aid trained and I'm worried this will be against me as well as my age.
    What career are you changing from if you don't mind me asking?
    Ah ok, yeah I have heard that they are more inclined to take on older students. That's not to say you don't have a strong chance though. Suppose it all comes down to the individual uni. It's a shame the other places didn't invite you for an interview but like you said, they obviously see potential so that's good!
    Sounds like you've got quite a wide variety of work experience! I'm worried about my work experience slightly but not really had the time to do much between work and college studies. I work as a door supervisor in a big nightclub on the weekends and I'm the designated first aider so hoping that will help me out a lot. Lots of dealing with drunks and their injuries. Communication skills are vital too! I wouldn't worry too much about the first aid training. From what I've read and heard from other people they are looking more for who you are as a person and your suitability for a role as a paramedic rather than evidence of attending a first aid course. Makes sense though. Anyone can attend a course and gain a certificate. That doesn't teach you good communication skills and empathy etc.
    I've made the career change from the Royal Marines. Had some experiences whilst in the military which really opened my eyes to the world of a paramedic and realised that this was definitely the path I wanted to take. Fingers crossed it all works out haha! Left everything behind to go for this.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone had any acceptances, rejections or interviews for Edge Hill yet?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.